Talk

Advanced search

to think this suggestion is the most stupid and potentially damaging ever?

(14 Posts)
KansasCityOctopus Wed 03-Apr-13 18:03:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 03-Apr-13 19:20:04

I don't know....it may frighten depressed people away from going to the doctor. That's not good...but what about parent's who are suffering mental illnesses which could put their DC at risk? Shouldn't they be protected...the DC I mean.

KansasCityOctopus Wed 03-Apr-13 19:24:18

classifiedinformation Wed 03-Apr-13 20:22:27

YANBU. If this was a legal requirement I would never have asked for the help I needed for my PND. I told my child's teachers anyway as I knew things were a little upsetting for DC. The teachers were fab and my DC got alot of support at school as well as from my family.

If this happens, many parents will be too scared to go to their gp to ask for help. This policy has clearly been proposed by someone who has no experience of mental health issues. angry

crashdoll Wed 03-Apr-13 20:29:06

YANBU.

I did a safeguarding children course a few years ago with colleagues (25
of them) from the nursery school where I worked. We were given various case studies and asked to assess risk. Every single person stated that a single mother with a history of depression was high risk of causing harm to her child. I was the only one who argued against. I had got very upset as I have a history of MH problems (including several lengthy hospital admissions). No one knew except my boss who was not there. There is still stigma attached to mental illness.

neunundneunzigluftballons Wed 03-Apr-13 22:05:31

We had a tragic case recently here where a father suffering from depression killed his children and his wife is fighting for this information to be passed on to social services. She makes a very good case. It is not clear cut. I have suffered from depression in the past also so I am not ignorant of the other side but it is about protecting the most vulnerable.

thezebrawearspurple Wed 03-Apr-13 22:35:42

yanbu, it will discourage people who genuinely need help from getting it. Crashdoll makes a great point about the stigma against the mentally ill. The suggestion that depressed parents should be reported to ss because they may harm their children stems from that prejudice. This is idiotic, prejudiced and downright dangerous.

HHH3 Wed 03-Apr-13 23:17:26

I have 2 children.
I also have mh problems.

I am a good mum, always put my children first and never put them in a position where they might be harmed.

If I went to my dr and s/he felt the children were at risk then I would expect ss to be informed. If it was done as standard just because I have mh problems then I simply wouldn't go to my dr.

Just because someone has mh problems, it doesn't mean they can't be a good parent.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 03-Apr-13 23:59:20

I can't understand why the normal duty everyone has to report people who may be a risk isn't the standard in these cases. I worked for SS and being told by a GP every time a parent had a MH issue? Shit, I would have got nothing else done. The GP will report if the parent has/has not MH issues and is a risk. Job done.

textfan Thu 04-Apr-13 00:30:33

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Thu 04-Apr-13 00:52:12

Yanbu. It seems forseeable that such a move would strongly dissuade people seeking help and that can only be a bad thing for children.

crashdoll Thu 04-Apr-13 08:13:18

The sheer numbers if EVERYONE with mh issues was reported make it completely impractical n v expensive!!!

Exactly, especially given 1 in 4 with suffer from mental illness at one point in their life.

Tee2072 Thu 04-Apr-13 08:25:30

Why did you start a thread about a thread that points to a MN thread rather than, you know, posting on the thread?

confused

KansasCityOctopus Thu 04-Apr-13 09:42:31

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now