Advanced search

AIBU to complain about my section leader?

(12 Posts)
livinginwonderland Wed 03-Apr-13 14:21:12

I work the evening shift at my job - 4.30-10pm. Legally, there are supposed to be two people minimum on per shift, to cover breaks and to make sure customers are served (I work in a supermarket).

Last night, and for two shifts last week, I was on my own. I had no cover for breaks and I didn't manage to get everything done because obviously I had no help. I also have a back problem (which they know about) which means that all the work I have to do (it can be quite physical) causes me problems by the end of a shift. I've tried to speak to my section leader but he ignores it and says I can cope on my own.

WIBU to put in a formal complaint before I start tonight? I am at the stage where I'm dreading going to work and the idea just makes me feel sick and upset, but I can't quit until I get another job. Help!

livinginwonderland Wed 03-Apr-13 14:41:39


KansasCityOctopus Wed 03-Apr-13 14:44:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Wed 03-Apr-13 14:46:19

Does the manager know there is only one person there?

comingintomyown Wed 03-Apr-13 14:46:51

Go to the next layer - Line Manager ? Otherwise your HR department

Sallyingforth Wed 03-Apr-13 14:47:37

Your back problem is unfortunate but doesn't really come into it.

You shouldn't be working alone for health and safety reasons, and if you are meeting the public then it's a security issue as well.

Yes, put in a formal complaint.

livinginwonderland Wed 03-Apr-13 14:49:11


Yes, they do. I had three managers speak to last week when I was on my own and apologise, but they can't really do much to arrange cover at 6pm. I don't blame them, just can't do it on my own anymore.

livinginwonderland Wed 03-Apr-13 14:50:48

*speak to me

ChairmanWow Wed 03-Apr-13 14:56:06

You need to make this formal if nobody is prepared to do anything. Put a grievance in against your manager, citing every occasion you have worked alone and each time you've raised it. Make sure you get a copy of the grievance procedure from HR so you understand what you need to do to raise it and how to appeal if you don't get the outcome you wanted.

ChairmanWow Wed 03-Apr-13 14:56:48

Oh, and join a union! USDAW or GMB cover retail workers.

amicissimma Wed 03-Apr-13 15:08:46

Be careful. If it is in your contract that there must be at least two of you and you show yourself prepared to work in contravention of the terms of your contract, you could be putting yourself in a vulnerable position.

Have a good look at what any relevant paperwork says. It may be that you need to go in, making yourself available to work, but politely explain that you are not allowed to go to your desk (or whatever) until someone else turns up. It may say that you can alone for a certain amount of time, in which case you would need to walk off, and politely tell your manager (very important) when you've done that time. It may be that it's a bit vague, perhaps using words like 'normally'.

It sounds quite scary and legal/union advice would be a really good idea.

amicissimma Wed 03-Apr-13 15:10:57

BTW difficulties arranging cover are not your concern. (Unless that's part of your job, of course.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now