Talk

Advanced search

To wonder what is the point?

(15 Posts)
StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Wed 03-Apr-13 08:57:57

An acquaintance of mine was recently telling me how She had changed her ear stretch. She has it in one ear this thing that makes the hole bigger and biggger. I genuinely wonder, is there a point to this other than asthetics? I remember being at a public pool when I was circa 7 and seeing a man with his lobes dragging behind him.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 03-Apr-13 09:02:01

My DD aged 8 is horribly fascinated with those things...they're so ugly and I can't imagine what they look like with no earring in them!

Cherriesarelovely Wed 03-Apr-13 09:02:35

I think it is hideous but to each their own. I do know it is very hard to fix it if you change your mind later in life.

YoothaJoist Wed 03-Apr-13 09:04:02

There's no point. It makes some people feel special, but then the whole of human endeavour is a futile struggle for meaning. <deep>

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Wed 03-Apr-13 09:16:10

Ah I schee I wondered if some wise Mn-er would come along and astound me with a cultural reason for it, apparently not! The most odd (to me) bit is the friend has only done it to one ear?!

YoothaJoist Wed 03-Apr-13 09:17:18

I suppose if she takes it far enough she could use her earlobe as an Alice band. Stretch it right over her head and hook it under her other ear?

MrsMangoBiscuit Wed 03-Apr-13 09:21:11

I normally like piercings, but flesh holes are just weird! [boak]

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Wed 03-Apr-13 09:24:44

Oh yootha haha that is a disgusting but plausible avenue haha!

I dont get them, wouldnt have it doe myself, it reminds me of that bit in jurassic park can you tell DS1 has gotten into dinosaurs lately?! where the bloke says "you were so busy thinking if you could, no on stopped to wonder if you should!"

MardyBra Wed 03-Apr-13 09:25:16

These make me feel ill to the extent that I've left a shop once rather than be served by the bloke with the gaping ear hole. That's not a judgement btw. But a strong physical reaction nonetheless.

SamuelWestsMistress Wed 03-Apr-13 09:25:25

I was reading this to start with thinking it was about your actual ear hole where you hear from. I thought "perhaps it's to help people hear better".

I have now understood what it's really about! An actual hole in the ear lobe does seem a bit extreme, but you could say that about any piercing a or tattoos.

mumnotmachine Wed 03-Apr-13 09:27:09

You can go up to an 8-10mm and it will revert back to normal size if you take it out
Anything past 10mm and you are stretched for life!

OhLori Wed 03-Apr-13 09:30:13

There's no point. It makes some people feel special, but then the whole of human endeavour is a futile struggle for meaning. <deep> I hear ya, Yootha.

Is that the same thing as the huge black button things in the ear? What is that all about?

KobayashiMaru Wed 03-Apr-13 09:32:14

because they like it. What is the point of any jewellry or fashion?

manticlimactic Wed 03-Apr-13 09:34:04

My DD went to 4mm in one ear and took it out (I did tell her she'd get bored of it - but would she listen??).If she puts hoopy earrings in they drag.

mumnotmachine Wed 03-Apr-13 09:34:50

There's no point to a lot of things in this life, but we still do them!

I don't like the stretchers, my teenage daughter has them, she's just about to go up to an 8mm, that's the biggest I will let her go, as if she changes her mind in the next couple of years it will revert back (the stretchers are in keeping with style she is following)

If she decides to go bigger once she's older then that's up to her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now