Talk

Advanced search

Please help.. Mum and nanny difference in opinion

(7 Posts)
nannyof3 Wed 03-Apr-13 07:56:11

Ok, im a nanny... Parent has told me today for lunch, to give her 10 month old baby, a annabel karmel beef pie that has been frozen, but the date is Feb 2009, she knows the date on it and says its fine..

Now i know shes the babies mum but this meal is over 4 years out of date.. Iv decided that im not going to give it to him but i know the mum isnt going to be happy...

Please tell me im right... and help me feel better by telling me ur opinions , and what im going to say to the mother tonight... thank you

Tee2072 Wed 03-Apr-13 08:04:42

I agree. It's fine. shrug

SizzleSazz Wed 03-Apr-13 08:07:29

I would be fine with it. Less nutritionally valid than in date and I guess might contain horse but otherwise ok.

Freddiemisagreatshag Wed 03-Apr-13 08:07:47

Cook it. Smell it. If ok, feed. I guarantee it'll be fine.

seeker Wed 03-Apr-13 08:07:48

I would say "OK" then feed the baby something else. What the eye doesn't see........

--but if it was my child I might well just use it--blush

jendot Wed 03-Apr-13 08:13:04

The date only applies if the product is fresh..... Once frozen surely the date is of no consequence! Technically frozen things will not ever go off (as the bacteria cannot breed) it may have lost some taste/ texture but I don't see any reason why it would be unsafe.

SizzleSazz Wed 03-Apr-13 08:28:33

Jendot - there are freezing guidelines for food and iirc meat is c.3 months. Never taken any notice of it personally!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now