Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit surprised at the queen's 20% "pay rise"....

(14 Posts)
ilovechips Wed 03-Apr-13 06:30:40

Just that really. Seems like a huge leap - i know the argument is that she does a good job and tourism brings huge revenue etc, but even so, 20%? Really?

ilovechips Wed 03-Apr-13 06:32:33

Forgot link
www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/queen-gets-6m-taxfree-pay-rise-as-poll-urges-her-to-cut-workload-8556749.html

maddening Wed 03-Apr-13 06:32:39

Yanbu - in the current climate shouldn't pay be frozen or cut.

forgetmenots Wed 03-Apr-13 06:59:55

Don't start a thread questioning the monarchy on here. I gave up on the last one. Wave your flag, get your bunting out and pipe down!

(Some of us like the symbolism, some of us don't, both are entitled to that but unelected power is to be best avoided is my very simple view.)

Doingakatereddy Wed 03-Apr-13 07:02:51

YABU - the current government changed the funding agreements from civil list to be based on profitability of crown estate.

This increase represents a number of one off payments to estate based on assets they have & should not be expected to continue.

I have no issue with increase as it demonstrates emphasis on monarchy to 'pay for themselves'.

forgetmenots Wed 03-Apr-13 07:06:14

(Ps actually agree with doingakatereddy on this, though).

JazzAnnNonMouse Wed 03-Apr-13 12:12:49

Yanbu.

angelos02 Wed 03-Apr-13 12:17:36

YANBU. What makes it worse is that household staff have had their pay frozen. It is disgusting. That is all.

ENormaSnob Wed 03-Apr-13 12:44:56

What a fucking joke.

CloudsAndTrees Wed 03-Apr-13 12:51:19

Apparently she is using the money to give her staff a pay rise and to do essential maintenance on her properties that she has so far put off.

YABU. Her Maj is lovely, and it's her own money anyway.

expatinscotland Wed 03-Apr-13 12:55:42

How is it her own money?

CloudsAndTrees Wed 03-Apr-13 13:08:45

Well, I'm not sure about this so I could well be wrong, but I though the money was from property she owns. Like she owns most of Regent street so the shops there are on her land. That's what they were saying on the wright stuff this morning anyway blush

DontmindifIdo Wed 03-Apr-13 13:14:21

well, it's because the crown estate has made a massive profit. And I believe she got 5% of the profit, so we are still doing quite well out of the deal as a nation (when in previous years I believe we've lost on the deal, making less from the crown estate than she's been paid)

(can anyone confirm, is it true that each moarch has to sign it back over to the state? So could Charles say no, scrap the civil list and just keep all the profits of the crown estate for himself/his family?)

ThePinkOcelot Wed 03-Apr-13 13:41:34

YANBU!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now