Talk

Advanced search

to think that I'm not the devil for suggesting the use of "Cocoa Butter'?

(14 Posts)
SongoftheSiren Wed 03-Apr-13 01:03:06

Visited my niece today (aged 2), she kept touching her ear and my mum commented on it and my sister said that her ear had a little bit of dry skin behind it.

My mum suggested a cream for her. I said, you could try a tiny bit of Cocoa Butter.

The looks I got you would seriously think I suggested either pouring acid over her ear or cutting it off.

My mum then said "don't be stupid she's a little baby and they have fragile skin"

So am I missing something? Am I the devil or just really stupid for suggesting putting a tiny bit of Cocoa Butter behind a childs ear?

LittleBunnyFeileFooFoo Wed 03-Apr-13 01:06:10

YANBU nor are you the devil or stupid! I use coconut oil on my 3 month old! I figure if you can eat it, its probably better than something you can't eat!

And then the baby smells so nice, too!

Maryz Wed 03-Apr-13 01:06:17

What's wrong with cocoa butter [baffled]? I use Silcox Base for everything - bought in a massive tub from Boots. Were they looking for an expensive cream of some type?

McNewPants2013 Wed 03-Apr-13 01:07:05

m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/en/Palmers-Cocoa-Butter-Formula-Baby-Butter-Massage-Lotion-1-x-250ml_929671/

You can get cocoa butter specifically for children

SongoftheSiren Wed 03-Apr-13 01:07:55

What's wrong with cocoa butter

I have no idea. But I felt stupid for ever suggesting it.

Jenda Wed 03-Apr-13 01:10:04

I'm no dermatologist but I can't see the harm myself. Its so mild. I can put it on my face and I seem to be allergic to everything! Slather it on all day, people at work call me the chocolate lady nothing to do with my four stomachs

if you're the devil ill be joining you in hell grin

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 03-Apr-13 01:16:33

Yabu because there I was practically ready to implode with indignation because I thought you were going to be talking about using it on yourself for unsavoury reasons and was ready to yell

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

What about the thrush

greenbananas Wed 03-Apr-13 07:54:28

I think you got a weird reaction from your mum. After all, she suggested a cream herself, so it's not like you were the only one sticking your oar in where it might not be wanted.

My DS had terrible eczema when he was a baby and I did get a bit fed up of everybody that saw him suggesting pricey and obscure creams that had worked for them, their sisters, their nieces or their builder's cousin's daughter etc. Of all the bizarre creams that were recommended to me, cocoa butter was definitely one of the more sensible suggestions grin

thismumismad Wed 03-Apr-13 08:59:22

Right this is my "magic cream" 50% coconut oil, 25% shea butter and 25% cocoa butter. I melt them gently together then when cooled right down and nearly solid again I whip it till it goes like egg whites, the whipping just makes it easier to use. This body butter is what cleared up my gutatte psoriasis in just three weeks, and I also use it on fungal skin infections with great success. It will feel oily for a few minutes but sinks into your skin really nicely.

thismumismad Wed 03-Apr-13 09:00:09

and all the above are edible oils too

YoothaJoist Wed 03-Apr-13 09:01:49

If your mum is anything like mine, she views any 'natural' products with huge suspicion, much preferring chemical-laden crap, preferably prescribed by a nice doctor.

magimedi Wed 03-Apr-13 09:42:36

Thismum - where do you but them from? flowers

magimedi Wed 03-Apr-13 09:42:57

buy not but - fat fingers!

Lollydaydream Wed 03-Apr-13 09:47:37

I'm with you I used cocoa butter to keep my dd's ezcema at bay once it was under control and derma cream (with honey in) to treat infected patches.
Obviously you need to patch test any cream you use and everyone has different skin but cocoa butter is often recommended by people who have suffered from ezcema.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now