Talk

Advanced search

to have commented on this?

(38 Posts)
BunnyLebowski Tue 02-Apr-13 23:31:44

Cousin of mine. Male, 40's, married with kids, Irish so not massively feminist but a fella who works with women (nurse) and has a wife he appears to love (although I have my doubts about certain aspects of this).

has just posted a picture equivalent to this

Not the exact one but a female DJ with the same caption. Tagging a fellow male cousin who has "hahahahahd" all over it hmm

I commented, "I don't get the joke."

I know, I know, FB is the work of the devil but I'm still angry as surely what people write on FB is representative of society?

Disclaimer: I only have 60 friends and as a huge feminist/LGBT supporter none are bigots. Or so I thought.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Tue 02-Apr-13 23:35:00

I actually though it was funny.

Irish so not massively feminist. That's the bit I don't get.

thezebrawearspurple Tue 02-Apr-13 23:35:44

It's a joke and I find it funny. There's lots of jokes on fb mocking male stereotypes too.

usualsuspect Tue 02-Apr-13 23:36:57

What has being Irish got to do with this?

bridgetsmum Tue 02-Apr-13 23:38:44

I'm with hohoho
What does Irish have to do with not being massively feminist?!?!?

malteserzz Tue 02-Apr-13 23:38:52

I thought it was funny !

HoHoHoNoYouDont Tue 02-Apr-13 23:40:37

We all know it's the Aussie blokes...... grin I blame it on the Fosters.

WorraLiberty Tue 02-Apr-13 23:44:14

Oh come on that made me laugh! grin

Look, people can laugh at things because they're just 'wrong' you know.

That's why I found it funny because it's wrong.

If anyone thought it was right, they wouldn't laugh at all would they because to them it wouldn't be a joke?

BunnyLebowski Tue 02-Apr-13 23:44:49

I'm Irish. The generation of men I grew up with (this man included) have proven to be less inclined to have feminist tendencies than men I've met from other parts of the world.

From my personal experience most still think that a wife who cooks/cleans/child-rears/doesn't mind if you spend all weekend in the pub watching football and horses is the jackpot.

All of this is part of the reason I left rural Ireland as soon as I could.

So you genuinely don't think the photo is offensive to women?

What, dare I ask, exactly is so funny about a woman venturing out of her traditional historic drudgery and daring to do what only men used to?

I don't get the joke.

WorraLiberty Tue 02-Apr-13 23:44:50

And yes, what does being Irish have to do with this?

Not offended, just curious confused

ll31 Tue 02-Apr-13 23:47:55

I'm irish too, v different experience to you. Think it's mildly amusing, no more than that

TheCraicDealer Tue 02-Apr-13 23:53:35

Yeah I'm sorry, it was the "Irish so not massively feminist" that made me baulk more than the meme.

I think it's mildy amusing, in the same way that I find the odd "there was an Irishman, and Englishman and a Scotsman jokes" funny, despite them also pandering to stereotypes. However, had someone gone to the effort of posting it on their Facebook I'd think they were a bit knobby. There's funnier stuff out there that doesn't make you look like a prick.

OP, if you really want to Facebook fine, look at lad bible. That does offend my feminist (with a veeeery small F) sensibilities.

anothershittynickname Tue 02-Apr-13 23:56:25

I think you're missing the double standard of your post!

You can't choose to be one 'ism and not another. The Irish statement (whether you're Irish or not) is as offensive as the caption to the pic!!

FWIW I laughed at the pic too!

Startail Tue 02-Apr-13 23:56:43

lighten up, it's mildly sexist and mildly amusing in oh do try harder sort of way.

SparklyAntlersInMyDecorating Tue 02-Apr-13 23:59:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

squeakytoy Wed 03-Apr-13 00:02:15

its. a. joke.

KansasCityOctopus Wed 03-Apr-13 00:03:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KansasCityOctopus Wed 03-Apr-13 00:04:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Wed 03-Apr-13 00:07:12

Name and shame 'em Kansas We'll pile in there this weekend grin

Booyhoo Wed 03-Apr-13 00:10:43

glad i'm not the only one hmm about the irish bit. (and i'm irish)

not offended by the photo. definitely wouldn't anger me as it has you.

FloraFox Wed 03-Apr-13 00:12:39

I don't think it's funny. It's lazy and not clever. I expect better from the Irish.

TranceDaemon Wed 03-Apr-13 00:14:55

Well I'd have had the same reaction as you OP and would also have posted a similar comment.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Wed 03-Apr-13 00:15:04

I agree Flora. As said up thread it is something I'd expect from an Aussie more so than an Irish.

PickledInAPearTree Wed 03-Apr-13 00:15:48

There's one in Cardiff. Can't remember the name it's a members one.

AlfalfaMum Wed 03-Apr-13 00:16:42

I have a DH and a father (mine) who'd belie your generalisation about Irish men.
But I agree it's a crap joke.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now