Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Not fucking happy

(23 Posts)
VitoCorleone Tue 02-Apr-13 14:47:56

Just been to visit my mum and stepdad. Just chatting away in the kitchen about rent and stuff and completely out of the blue my stepdad says......

"you know, because you and him (my DP) arent married that makes your kids little bastards"

I left and sent my mum a text saying i wont be going back, as if you fucking say that to somebody, family or not.

Im so angry.

YouTheCat Tue 02-Apr-13 14:48:26

What a twat!

Nombrechanger Tue 02-Apr-13 14:48:30

What s cunt

Nombrechanger Tue 02-Apr-13 14:48:56

A

PeneloPeePitstop Tue 02-Apr-13 14:49:22

Rather be a little bastard that a big fat arsehole!

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Tue 02-Apr-13 14:49:25

Technically they are, in the traditional sense of the word.

Dh is one. No one cares nowadays anyway, sounds like it may have been a joke?

SmiteYouWithThunderbolts Tue 02-Apr-13 14:50:02

Rather be a little bastard that a big fat arsehole!

^ This. With bells on.

VitoCorleone Tue 02-Apr-13 14:50:27

Yes techincally they are, as are many kids these days, but i wouldnt dream of saying that to somebody.

Not a very funny joke

SheepNoisesOff Tue 02-Apr-13 14:50:32

What the hell was that all about then???

My DP and I aren't married either (more than half the babies in this country, the Netherlands, are born to unmarried parents) and if anyone said something like that to me I think I'd just stare at them in shock!

VitoCorleone Tue 02-Apr-13 14:51:25

Yes techincally they are, as are many kids these days, but i wouldnt dream of saying that to somebody.

Not a very funny joke

Spero Tue 02-Apr-13 14:52:52

I think it was probably a very clumsy joke that went wrong. Unless of course the man married to your mother really wants to hurt and piss you off and drive you out of the house?

If you don't think that the latter is his motivation, I would let it go. My child is a 'bastard' but I wouldn't give a flying fuck if someone called her that. If they genuinely said it to hurt me it would be very revealing about who they really were.

FarleyD Tue 02-Apr-13 14:53:02

Blimey, what did your Mum say? Has he ever said anything like that before? What sort of a relationship do you (or should that be "did you"?) have with him prior to today?

OHforDUCKScake Tue 02-Apr-13 14:55:42

wtf?!

Snoopingforsoup Tue 02-Apr-13 14:56:11

I had a colleague once announce that to me a few years ago!
He did it in front of everyone and I couldn't believe how Victorian his attitude was.
How I smiled when I heard he'd left his wife and kids for another woman and had a child out of wedlock with her! Just goes to show you what sort of person would say such a thing in the first place. I feel sorry for your Mum.
Your SD obviously has a serious problem and YANBU.

VitoCorleone Tue 02-Apr-13 14:56:38

My mum was shocked and said "X you cant say that!!"

She's just text me and said she's given him a right gobfull about it.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 02-Apr-13 15:02:49

Why punish your mum because of something he said?

CocacolaMum Tue 02-Apr-13 15:03:30

This was a running joke in our house.. by my parents!!! I was born before they were married. Both of them thought it hilarious, water off a ducks back to me.

I can see why you would be a bit taken aback tho OP. He probably didn't think he was being offensive, I would just laugh it off unless there is subtext there

Finola1step Tue 02-Apr-13 15:06:43

Wow! I've not heard that particular view about children for a very long time. No wonder you were so shocked. I'm shocked on your behalf. Terrible thing to say about any child but to say it about family is beyond me. What on earth did he think you would say?

glossyflower Tue 02-Apr-13 15:06:58

Not very funny but doubt he said it to be conceited.

PhallicGiraffe Tue 02-Apr-13 15:08:44

The reason why 'Bastard' is such an offensive word, is because there used to be a huge stigma attached to having children out of wedlock. Nowadays, there isn't the stigma any more, but the word is still offensive... While technically he is correct (and has probably been watching too much Game of Thrones) he needs to learn some social skills.

Lovecat Tue 02-Apr-13 15:16:21

Whaat? Haven't heard the word used like that since the 70's - I'll never forget it, my mum didn't swear EVER but some friends were round for coffee and they were discussing the woman who'd moved in 2 doors down, who's little girl I'd become friendly with. "Of course, you know that xxx is a little bastard" says my mother in hushed tones shockshockshock I was horrified, I'd only heard that word used in the sense of 'not being a nice person' and xxx was lovely!

You stepdad is either a) an idiot b) thinks he's clever or c) watched too many documentaries on the Tudors/Game of Thrones lately. Possibly all 3.

VitoCorleone Tue 02-Apr-13 15:49:45

Im not punishing my mum because of it, in fact she's coming round here later, im just not going up to hers, well not til i get a bloody apology or explanation from him.

SoWhatIfImWorkingClass Tue 02-Apr-13 19:11:22

My DP once said this to his sister in law about her kids, knowing full well that the only meaning of "Bastard" she knew was the swearing insult version.

She was really insulted and then my DP explained the other meaning and he was just winding her up. He obviously meant nothing by it.I just slunk in to the kitchen very embarrassed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now