Talk

Advanced search

ABU to think this was rude - hotel booking?

(21 Posts)
carabos Tue 02-Apr-13 11:39:06

Dh, my friend and I are going to a big sporting event in about 6 weeks time. We go every year, but because of work commitments (my friend is a Dr) we never know for certain that we are going until about this far out. As a result it's always a bit of a scramble to find B&B or hotel accommodation, but that can't be helped and we always get something sorted.

I emailed all the B&Bs on the event's own list over the weekend - as expected most are full and replied with standard emails saying so.

However, one of them (small hotel) wrote back saying "We're fully booked. TRY BOOKING EARLY NEXT TIME AND YOU MIGHT GET SOMETHING". hmm

I know it would be better to book early, but I can't and I don't believe I'm the only person who can't. Added to this, the event list has a facility for the accommodation providers to update when they are full, making for greater convenience all round, but NONE of the B&Bs had done that.

AIBU to think it's a bit rude to reply in shouty caps to a potential customer?

Pantah630 Tue 02-Apr-13 11:42:05

Yes it's rude, make note of who they are and don't bother with them next year. Don't think I'd bother replying, certainly wouldn't be recommending them to anyone though. If that's how they do business, they won't be doing any for much longer smile

yaimee Tue 02-Apr-13 11:42:09

It's a silly thing for a company to put in an email to a perspective customer, but I wouldn't think anything of it. All they're doing is shooting themselves in the foot. With customer service like that I can't imagine they'll be trading for much longer.

CloudsAndTrees Tue 02-Apr-13 11:43:21

It is rude.

Try using premier inns. You can book early with them to get the best price, then cancel if you can't go without losing any money. They let you cancel up until 24 hours before without charge.

Snoopingforsoup Tue 02-Apr-13 11:43:46

They were being rude and ridiculous. Not everyone can book everything months in advance! It's getting to be an annoying trend across the UK in my experience.
Let's hope they're not so bad when their B&B is empty!

ChippyMinton Tue 02-Apr-13 11:44:23

They've probably been inundated with booking enquiries and are fed up of replying.
Should've updated their website though.

houseworkhater Tue 02-Apr-13 11:49:30

YANBU they were very rude.

ElliesWellies Tue 02-Apr-13 11:51:09

Very rude. You've had a lucky escape - I wouldn't want to stay there if that's the way they behave. If you want to vent your spleen you could always put something on trip advisor or whatever it's called.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Tue 02-Apr-13 11:54:20

I'm afraid I'd be really narked by that and wouldn't be able to stop myself responding to them.

fedupofnamechanging Tue 02-Apr-13 11:58:09

Yes, very rude and I would send a snotty reply. It might not change anything, but i always feel better for having ranted had my say.

I think rudeness ought to be challenged.

weegiemum Tue 02-Apr-13 12:03:24

I agree it's a bit rude. I own a s/c holiday cottage and am always unfailingly polite!

But can't your friend ask for holidays? My dh is a doctor, he's got 2 weeks in the last half of July and a week in October booked off. You can book ahead!!

bobsnotmyuncle Tue 02-Apr-13 12:06:25

Very rude, I'd be posting this on Trip Advisor!

carabos Tue 02-Apr-13 12:12:41

weegie My friend can and does book holidays, but she is the senior partner in her GP practice and tends to have to step in when people are ill and what-have-you. DH and I are both self-employed and we can't book ages in advance either - can't afford to take time off when we could be earning.

I don't think that is the point however.

poozlepants Tue 02-Apr-13 12:15:13

I'd reply "THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. HERE IS SOME IN RETURN. TRY BEING PLEASANT TO POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS EVEN IF YOU ARE FULLY BOOKED".

CheCazzo Tue 02-Apr-13 12:16:42

As bobs said - Trip Advisor. Keep the e mail just in case. And hell yes to replying! It might not be the rational thing to do but that kind of rudeness from a business really should be challenged. They may not give a shit or they may sit up and think about how they're doing things but I really think you should let them know.

CheCazzo Tue 02-Apr-13 12:17:08

And what poozle said. That, exactly.

EuroShaggleton Tue 02-Apr-13 12:18:10

I'd go with poozle's suggestion, personally.

As someone mentioned above though, a lot of hotels let you cancel without charge up to 24 hrs before check in, so next time you could just find one with this policy and book just in case.

carabos Tue 02-Apr-13 12:20:02

Good idea Euro.

LemonBreeland Tue 02-Apr-13 12:20:04

Yes Trip Adviser. Copy their email into the review. Totally ridiculous way to speak to potential customers.

WhatchaMaCalllit Tue 02-Apr-13 15:37:36

Did the hotel reply in capital letters OP? If they did, then YANBU. I'd send them back an email just as poozlepants has suggested.

However, if they just replied "Sorry, we're full. However, if you contact us earlier next time, there may be more availability" then I would think YABU.

It is all in how they responded initially to you though. It's easily misinterpreted but the first one is being rude the second one is trying to be helpful to you.

That probably doesn't help much though, does it smile

BadLad Tue 02-Apr-13 15:39:00

E-mail them back with a link to a youtube of Basil berating the guests in Fawlty Towers, and tell them that that's what they seem like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now