Talk

Advanced search

To so a skydive when I have young children?

(23 Posts)
clarkykitten Tue 02-Apr-13 08:57:14

Starting to feel really nervous now - due to skydive for charity in May but since I have started telling people a few have said that they could never put themselves in danger when they have children to think about.

My kids are 5 and 3 years. And if I do do it, do I let them come to watch?

ThreeBeeOneGee Tue 02-Apr-13 08:59:07

We put ourselves in danger every time we get into a car. It's to do with relative risk and statistically I don't think skydiving is particularly high-risk.

overmydeadbody Tue 02-Apr-13 09:02:44

Skydiving isn't very dangerous, especially if you're just doing one for charity.

If you did it every weekend all over the world, and pulled crazy stunts and were doing formations and stuff, and generally taking more risks before plulling your shoot then maybe, but a one off charity skydive (is it tandem? Static line?) then it's not dangerous.

Driving there will be the most dangerous bit.

SaltyandSweet Tue 02-Apr-13 09:03:34

What a fabulous example for your kids! To do something out of your comfort zone for a worthy cause. It is of course entirely up to your instincts, but I don't think you would have signed up for it if you hadn't thought it to be relatively safe. Things can go wrong of course but things can go wrong in absolutely anything. Taking your kids to watch would be wonderful if you've explained to them beforehand what's going to happen. If you do do it I hope you have a fabulous experience and well done too!

overmydeadbody Tue 02-Apr-13 09:04:50

A charity skydive is especially low risk.

clarkykitten Tue 02-Apr-13 09:08:32

Yep, it is tandem and a definite one off! I told myself I wanted to do something this year to make myself proud and 'out of my comfort zone' (cos I'm a bit of a wuss) and this is it.

Maybe I am just over thinking stuff, as I am getting nervous!

HeySoulSister Tue 02-Apr-13 09:09:48

Can't see the difference between you having. 'Young' children or just children of any age!!!

And it's not a particularly dangerous thing to do..... People just like to pearl clutch

clarkykitten Tue 02-Apr-13 09:11:58

No, you're right, the age of the children is neither here nor there smile

badguider Tue 02-Apr-13 09:20:46

How risky is skydiving? I wouldn't have thought it was very dangerous. Probably safer than driving the length of the country for a holiday? Or a load of other things.
If it was me I'd look up the stats. both to comfort myself and have an answer for other people. (But then I'm a "facts" sort of person).

DreamingOfTheMaldives Tue 02-Apr-13 10:54:58

The risks associated with skydiving are very very low, particularly when doing a tandem. After all, you are just along for the ride - your instructor does all the work. didn't stop me being completely terrified before jumping out though

It is an amazing indescribable experience.

newfavouritething Tue 02-Apr-13 11:09:06

It's more dangerous driving to the dropzone than jumping. Enjoy!! Whereabouts are you doing it?

specialsubject Tue 02-Apr-13 11:36:12

some risk of minor injuries, but the risk of ending up as a greasy spot on the dropzone is low - especially with a tandem as your partner is obviously quite interested in survival.

Snoopingforsoup Tue 02-Apr-13 11:38:28

Wow. Awesome.
Of course DC should watch. It's an amazing example to set your kids. It's being brave, it's raising money for charity and it's way outside your comfort zone.
It's low risk and I imagine you'll feel exhilarated afterwards.
Good for you OP.

Sunnywithshowers Tue 02-Apr-13 11:40:43

That sounds great clarky. I did a tandem skydive for charity a few years ago and it was brilliant fun.

clarkykitten Wed 03-Apr-13 07:20:55

great smile feel a lot better now about doing it, just last minute nerves! I'll be doing it at Hibaldstow, near Brigg.

Blu Wed 03-Apr-13 08:55:00

I think you are amazing for doing this. I would love to, but am a wuss. I think people like to pour old water on things to justify their own fear. Go for it!

SamuelWestsMistress Wed 03-Apr-13 09:05:34

Oh god I could never do skydiving! Huge admiration to anyone who does this. YANBU at all, just very brave!

hellsbellsmelons Wed 03-Apr-13 10:15:11

I did one for charity when my DD was 8 months old.
I didn't even think about it being dangerous.
Definitely do it!
It is the most amazing thing you will ever do.
I promise you will looooove it!
Enjoy - so jealous - I'd love to do another one!

NinaHeart Wed 03-Apr-13 10:23:59

I have three children and I did a charity tandem skydive and it didn't feel at all dangerous. The instructor you are attached to is so reassuring (mine said, "I've done this 4,000 times and not lost anyone yet!")
I think it is a great example to set your children.
Enjoy it!

I did one a few years back. Its really not that dangerous, the guy where I was told me in 14 years of him being there the only incidents were a guy fainting when he came out the plane and another guy broke his ankle because he didn't pull his legs up for the landing, 2 problems in 14 years isn't bad.

I hope you really enjoy it, its a great experience.

fedupofnamechanging Wed 03-Apr-13 10:34:47

I wouldn't - I don't think that people should indulge themselves with dangerous hobbies, if they have dependent dc. I don't think it is fair to equate it to driving, because we need to use cars. No one needs to go skydiving.

I know someone who has a risky hobby, who was quite badly injured and who was lucky not to have died. His wife thinks he is selfish for still continuing to do it, but he does it anyway. Not exactly the same as your situation, given it is a one off, but I am over cautious and wouldn't want to do this.

DolomitesDonkey Wed 03-Apr-13 10:37:58

Of course it's fine - as fine as "anything" is really. People don't tell you not to get in a car once you've had children do they? Yet people die every day on the roads.

Just remember to pull the cord... grin

What dull lives some must lead.

LeeCoakley Wed 03-Apr-13 10:46:14

I did one for my 50th birthday. My dds watched and I definitely went up in their estimation! It's scary but I was exactly like you, I wanted to do something out of my comfort zone and I hate flying. The bit actually sitting in the plane on the floor next to the open hatch was scary enough for me. I'm so glad I did it and don't listen to any negatives, they're probably coming from people who are envious. Have a great time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now