Talk

Advanced search

To think my cat is a real danger to people?

(23 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 02-Apr-13 08:26:53

He's Siamese and very bossy and affectionate as they are. He LOVES me to the point of obsession, which is fine unless I am working at the computer and he sits on me or the keyboard....he yeowls for attention pretty much all day and is only happy when being stroked.

He gets on with the rest of the household fine but my 5 year old DD causes him to get nervous...she's quick and makes a lot of sudden movements. She also gets jealous of the cat. hmm

Anyway...the cat gets in bed with me at times...I know I know....but I like it and he's clean...he never puts his feet IN his litter tray but perches on the rim of it so he's not a cat with poo coated paws.

He lies under the quilt beside me full length with his paws on my chin.

Last night, DD had a nightmare and came rushing into my bed in the dead of night...she does this often and the cat bolts.

But last night he ran full weight over my face in his haste! His big back claw scraped my cheek!

I love him but this is a bit much...AIBU to think he's a rotter? And to chuck him out of my bed forever?

Maggie111 Tue 02-Apr-13 09:25:09

Aww, he didn't mean it! Our cat's 7 now and has hurt me a couple of times. I fall out with him for a couple of days sometimes, but he's always sorry! blush

Jestrin Tue 02-Apr-13 11:28:43

YABU He was startled and legged it! Any cat would rush off like that.

Suuki Tue 02-Apr-13 11:55:43

Nooo it was an accident, he's not a rotter! You wouldn't be unreasonable to make him sleep in his own bed though...

LadyBeaEGGleEyes Tue 02-Apr-13 11:58:51

Aw, he just got a fright.
There's nothing lovelier snuggling up to a furry bundle of purry cat in bed at night.

OHforDUCKScake Tue 02-Apr-13 12:03:21

Thats nothing, I had a wonderful cat who was an Evil Bastard. I had to warn all people that entered the house to stroke at their own peril.

She would quite literally go for the throat if you got on then wrong side of her. She'd been pyschotic since birth and I wouldnt have had her any other way.

God bless that fat black and white tazmanian devil.

Snoopingforsoup Tue 02-Apr-13 12:05:12

He's being a cat. It's what they do. As long as he knows where he sits in the pecking order, he shouldn't be a problem to anyone.
Cats are pretty clean. I don't worry about ours being at the end of the bed every night. He cleans himself after the litter (which we scoop frequently) and we're all still alive.
I think you're over thinking it. Siamese are a demanding breed - you must have known he'd be a bit full on attention-wise? You can wean them off your attention gradually if you need a bit of space.

EmpressMaud Tue 02-Apr-13 12:11:23

No, and no, it was an accident.

We too have attention seeking cat, who is allowed to sleep in the beds (a Ragdoll). She also likes to sit at the top of the stairs, and swat from the balustrade at the heads of people coming upstairs!

patienceisvirtuous Tue 02-Apr-13 12:13:23

He sounds lovely.

My one gives the best snuggles during the night - all lovey dovey (paws on chin also) with me and DP then come about 6am is like a wildcat attacking our feet in a teeth/claw frenzy shock grin

RugBugs Tue 02-Apr-13 12:19:17

Last night I shared a bed with DP, DD, 2 burmese and a burmilla grin furry hot water bottles rock!

If he is an indoor cat do you trim his claws? It would most certainly eliminate the potential for accidental scratching. Your vet can show you how to do it if you're not confident to begin with.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 02-Apr-13 16:35:11

He lengthens himself...stretches his looooong siamese body and his legs out in front and behind...he takes up almost what an adult would do! He lies on one of my arms...like a baby. But he's got fishy breath and claws like needles.

He's not an indoor cat and is out shouting the odds to the other local cats every day. He can't hunt for toffee as he's not got good eyesight but he talks so tough, nothing will come within an inch of our garden.

Movingtimes Tue 02-Apr-13 16:40:31

I think you should rehome him at once - PM me your address and I'll send you a cardboard box with some holes in it and the money for the postage.

If it makes you feel any better I was once awoken by DH sitting straight up on bed and screaming; one of our cats had jumped up on the bed in the night slipped and dug his claws into DH's face to save himself from falling. He still loves him though and it didn't leave much of a scar.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 02-Apr-13 17:15:25

grin Moving...the cat may not travel well and when he arrives he'll probably swear a bit.

countrykitten Tue 02-Apr-13 18:11:42

Neo he sounds fabulous! We have a Siamese who is coming up to a year old - she is a very strange cat and has some bizarre habits. Currently she is carrying around a pan scrub ( and has been for about a week now) - she springs in to the room, yowls at it (and us) and then darts off with it in her mouth. Next week it will be something else. Odd....

zukiecat Tue 02-Apr-13 18:49:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thegreylady Tue 02-Apr-13 20:07:47

My two tonkinese cats like to stand on my boobs-tail up and bumhole pointed at my face-not a pretty sight to wake up to.Also one of them has the loudest snore in the animal kingdom!

wintertimeisfun Tue 02-Apr-13 20:09:53

i think he sounds like a lovely pussbag smile

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 02-Apr-13 20:23:29

Countrykitten lovely! Mine's 8 now so he's above playing...unless it's tinsel or lametta...off the christmas tree. That he loves and will chew and bite it all day. I have to limit it though as he eats it. He loves the DCs bedtime as then he knows it him in full attention rather than them!

Zukie it's gorgeous isn't it? I think they put out some weird magic...when they're snuggled up to you it feels so happy!

FreudiansSlipper Tue 02-Apr-13 20:31:58

my very gentle cat decided to jump up and cling on my leg while I was sitting on the loo having a pee

I have no idea why his paws dug so far in that when I jumped up and pissed everywhere he still clung on I had to pinch his paws

he had never done anything like that before or since though has started to gently stroke claw my face when I am asleep so I will cuddle him

good luck in getting him to sleep elsewhere grin

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 02-Apr-13 21:45:47

Oh freudian! grin I bet he looked at you like hmm when you pissed on the floor too! They're so above us aren't they?

FreudiansSlipper Tue 02-Apr-13 21:56:55

he looked dazed and confused like he always does I am sure he is partial to herbal roll ups he is not a normal cat smile other cats i know would have been disgusted

whois Tue 02-Apr-13 22:34:07

FreudiansSlipper you just made me actually laugh out loud!

FreshLeticia Tue 02-Apr-13 22:53:04

Just watch that lametta though, I have known a certain Burmese cat of my acquaintance to eat it and had to watch it slowly emerge from his bumhole day by day. Too dangerous to pull it out. No lametta used here ever again.
He does like to purr in the bed as well as bite toes and swipe people on stairs and is very, very loud.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now