Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to give up and buy one myself

(40 Posts)
likesnowflakesinanocean Mon 01-Apr-13 11:45:24

I like to sew and craft a lot, I make various things by hand for charities to sell and for family. I am relatively new to sewing so have a small selection of things I make that I want to expand on. I really would like to learn how to use a sewing machine before I buy one as I'm worried ill never get the hang of it if I'm not shown. my nan has said she will show me but they are very often away or busy all day and with work/family I rarely see her for long enough. my other nan has my late mums sewing machine that she bought her she won't use it because she has very had hands and it hurts her but she also won't let me use it.. I have asked plenty times and she will say oh you can use it here but only if you know exactly what your doing as I don't want it broken. she won't show me how to use it because she will hurt her hands. should I give up and buy one despite knowing my mums is packed in a corner never to be used.

PumpkinPositive Mon 01-Apr-13 11:52:24

Cut your losses and buy your own. Am sure you could get a good, second hand one on Ebay. smile

BigBoobiedBertha Mon 01-Apr-13 11:53:22

Would it help if you went on one of those day long 'Learn to use your sewing machine' courses?

If not then I think you are better off buying your own. Try them out in the shop - they should give you some instruction first anyway. It isn't that hard to do basic sewing stitches so you wouldn't need that much tutoring. The rest you can learn as you go along.

It sounds to me like your nan doesn't want to part with the machine though and it has very little to do with you needing tuition. It sounds like it is for sentimental reasons and you aren't going to change her mind.

HollyBerryBush Mon 01-Apr-13 11:54:24

I bought mine in a local haberdashers. They also have 2nd hand ones which will come with a guarantee. They will let you play with it a bit before making a purchase. It's really not difficult, you must have used one at school in textiles lessons?

likesnowflakesinanocean Mon 01-Apr-13 11:56:40

I do think its for sentimental reasons and I'm not upset with her in that respect. it has upset me that she won't let me use it at all under her direction I'm mid twenties and unlikely to break it. money is really tight at the moment so I'd like to know I can actually use one before I commit to buy. not seen any courses or found any nearby enough to go.

likesnowflakesinanocean Mon 01-Apr-13 11:57:36

nope never did anything remotely textile related at school. I love to hand sew but taught myself along with bits my mum taught me

Lockedout434 Mon 01-Apr-13 11:58:04

The tricky bit about sewing machines is the threading of them and getti g the tension right between the top and bottom threads. Once you have that the sewing bit is the simple bit.
There are classes that you could go to but also if you google Ewing shop go to the nearest one and get the to demonstrate

Gorja Mon 01-Apr-13 12:00:56

Try freecycle.
I got a lovely singer sewing machine with loads of extra feet etc. It is integrated into a table and came with all its instructions.
Completely free as like you I wanted to try sewing before spending out any money.

likesnowflakesinanocean Mon 01-Apr-13 12:04:12

I will keep an eye out, I'm due to have an operation soon which will keep me indoors for a while so this seemed a good time to learn

foslady Mon 01-Apr-13 12:09:16

Do you have a pond stretchers near you - they sell basic ones pretty cheap

foslady Mon 01-Apr-13 12:09:34

Aaarrrggghhh - POUND stretchers!!!!!

likesnowflakesinanocean Mon 01-Apr-13 12:10:37

hehe pond stretcher. I think there is one in the next town I could try thanks for that

IDontDoIroning Mon 01-Apr-13 12:13:28

Have a look at your local evening classes to see if there's a class running like dressmaking, soft furnishings quilting etc as they will have machines available.
Also look on you tube for videos. I'm sure craftsy.com has a free video tutorial on basic sewing.
With regards to buying a machine if you have a local fabric/ haberdashers go in and ask if they know of anyone who services or reconditions old machines as they may also sell machines. Alternatively try your local free paper or gumtree or even free cycle,
Aldi and lidl sometimes have sewing machines on special offer but only a few times a year.

droitwichmummy Mon 01-Apr-13 12:14:36

Have a look in your local sewing supplies shops for sewing groups and workshops. I know one near us holds them.

VisualiseAHorse Mon 01-Apr-13 12:17:14

Yes - buy a John Lewis one - they are only £100, and I have found it to be fantastic, exactly what I need. I've made all sorts on it, and it's pink too! It is very straight-forward to use, and the manual is easy to read.

http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-jl110-colour-block-sewing-machine-purple/p231616754

You can get a mini version too for £50.

VisualiseAHorse Mon 01-Apr-13 12:17:42

http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-jl110-colour-block-sewing-machine-purple/p231616754

MrsRajeshKoothrappali Mon 01-Apr-13 12:22:16

Where are you?

My parents in Bath are getting rid of my grandmother's old sewing machine because they're downsizing.

My cousin was supposed to be having it but hasn't been able to pick it up for over a year hmm and they're about a week away from sticking it in a charity shop.

My mum would love for it to go to a home where it would be used.

likesnowflakesinanocean Mon 01-Apr-13 12:26:47

I'm in cheshire, having a look on free cycle but never used it before so will see how to use it! grin.

likesnowflakesinanocean Mon 01-Apr-13 12:27:43

john lewis one looks good, it being pink is a bonus. may start a savings pot haha.

MrsRajeshKoothrappali Mon 01-Apr-13 12:35:42

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JML-Easy-Stitch-Mini-Sewing-Machine-/261193922659?pt=UK_CraftsCollect_SewingMachines_RL&hash=item3cd05ef863

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-SEWING-MACHINE-WHITE-/300879943502?pt=UK_CraftsCollect_SewingMachines_RL&hash=item460dd7974e

Manchesterhistorygirl Mon 01-Apr-13 12:37:52

Buy your own, ikea do a reasonable price one or try freecycle! I asked for one and got a beautiful '50's machine. Both me and my mum use it, my mum reckons its better than her modern one.

likesnowflakesinanocean Mon 01-Apr-13 12:41:14

they look good I am due some PayPal money might look at the mini ones with that. I feel so bad saying it just wish I could use my mums sad. but that's my own sentimental thing

saycheeeeeese Mon 01-Apr-13 12:42:00

Dunelm do mini sewing machines too for about £25.

Wilding Mon 01-Apr-13 12:45:55

To be honest, if you think you're likely to end up doing quite a bit of sewing, I wouldn't get a mini one - they're just not as good as the full-size ones and you can't do as much on them. I would really recommend trying to find a second-hand one from somewhere as a good sewing machine lasts forever. I agree with whoever said go to a haberdashers/sewing shop and ask them to let you try some out - you really only need to know how to thread one and then you can play around/look on youtube to learn the rest.

Isandri Mon 01-Apr-13 12:50:02

I was in a similar situation to you in terms of sewing experience and ended up buying a Pfaff expression 2.0 on sale with some overtime money. It does all the difficult stuff like setting tension for you and it tells you what feet to use for each stich. It's computerised which I though was a bit a bit scary at first but I love it and find it very easy to use. I use mine for quilting and have also made a dress and some bits and pieces for around the house. I'd looked for second hand machines but couldn't find anything, but i'm not in the uk.

I ended up going to a sewing machine shop and the owner was very helpful letting me try out the machines with no pressure to sell. Then he mentioned he could give me a £200 discount of the Pfaff machine and I cracked and bought it smile I'd been looking at cheaper machines but my husband pushed me into buying the Pfaff one as it had a lot of good features for novices.

Initially I was going to buy a machine from sewing machines direct here

The sewing forum is a good place to chat to people and read about machines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now