Talk

Advanced search

To warn you never to add up the cost of how much Lego you own!

(57 Posts)
westcoastnortherner Mon 01-Apr-13 03:40:48

I just did and It nearly drove me to eating all their Easter eggs! Luckily Lego is a favorite toy in our house both with Dd and Ds!

Aibu to wonder what toys have you spent a fortune collecting?

Altinkum Mon 01-Apr-13 03:46:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nicewatch Mon 01-Apr-13 03:53:57

I have just sold all the DCs' Duplo. Made 70 quid. But I bought it secondhand in the first place so I think I am even or marginally ahead.

I saw that episode of Megafactories recently that showed how Lego was made. It was hard not to see it as 20p coins dropping off the conveyor belt.

westcoastnortherner Mon 01-Apr-13 04:15:21

Oh blimey, don't start me on skylanders! Disney Infinty will be the next big thing!

westcoastnortherner Mon 01-Apr-13 04:17:31

That should be Infinity blush

Playmobil. I was addicted. I have almost all of it. I thought it was an awesome investment as i loved it as a kid and all our old bits had lasted so well... But my kids never use it. They'll play for hours with the bastarding skylander models, but seem to entirely lack the imagination to play with Playmobil. I have spent probably several thousand on it as some sets were retired so were ebay purchases. Worst thing is that none of the sets are still complete so i can't just sell it on. Oh,and American Girl Dolls. Again, probably 2000 invested even though most were second hand... It adds up. My daughter plays beautifully with them at her friends house, but never gives them a look at home. I have faulty kids :-(

I also had to have the entire happyland sets. Even the euro trainset. All of it retired and current, girl and boy castles, fairy toadstool and boot houses... The works. Too much for any kid to play with at once as it didn't all fit in the room. I am a hoarder of toys :-( i ended up donating all that to kids who wouldn't get xmas help from the salvation army. It was quite therapeutic to watch parents selecting which set to take for their kids. You know you are a stupid shopaholic hoarder when you can help 20 families make xmas for their kids just with your unwanted items. :-(

anonymosity Mon 01-Apr-13 04:36:14

Barbie dolls....they clock up. Fortunately now that we have one of every imaginable skin / hair-colour / combination, we don't need any more. grin

westcoastnortherner Mon 01-Apr-13 04:42:03

We've just started with the American girl dolls, we are visiting the Seattle store later this month, I'm very excited... More than Dd I think. grin

VestaCurry Mon 01-Apr-13 04:48:39

We have a serious amount of brio which would sell very well on eBay....but at the moment we think we'll hang on to it, as any grandchildren that we might be lucky enough to have would love it.

AdoraBell Mon 01-Apr-13 05:00:28

My OH spent fucking hundreds of pounds on Lego, here in Chile it's about 8 times the price of UK, for DDs, and then had the audicity to be upset that they don't appreciate it and how much it cost. <explodes from effects of pent up Lego rage>

westcoastnortherner Mon 01-Apr-13 07:16:58

grin at pent up lego rage... I think a lot of people purchase it because of nostalgia.

maddening Mon 01-Apr-13 07:34:28

How much did you concluse that you have spent?

olibeansmummy Mon 01-Apr-13 07:53:04

I was lucky enough to bagsy all of our childhood lego ( 4 children plus another who gave all their childhood lego to youngest db) so ds has mountain of the stuff and it didn't cost us anything grin we do add to it but ds is only 3.10 so is happy with the little sets.

The main thing I've spent a fortune on is playmobil.

BeaWheesht Mon 01-Apr-13 07:54:08

Ds had loads of Star Wars stuff that we've bought him, however he also has LOADS of the 1970/80s original toys from when Dh was wee too including millennium falcon, little diddly weapons, vehicles etc. I bet all that's worth a fortune.

LivingInAPinkBauble Mon 01-Apr-13 08:13:23

No children here yet but was looking at lego as I want some for my classroom and was shock at both new and 2nd hand prices! Fortunately for me my DM reminded me she has our childhood lego!

BlackholesAndRevelations Mon 01-Apr-13 08:26:56

Livinginapinkbauble- I hope you're not spending your own money on stuff for your classroom?! Very naughty.

We have a massive bucket of donated Lego from my childhood and I have all mine anally still in its boxes in sets- can't wait for my kids to be old enough for it! Although I'm not sure if I'll let them anywhere near my boxed sets, haha!

MrsLouisTheroux Mon 01-Apr-13 08:27:16

DD is desperate for an American girl OP!!
How much is the doll in the US? They cost £££s to import sad !

MortifiedAdams Mon 01-Apr-13 08:31:46

What is the most economical way of buying Lego and Playmobil? Ebay? Or does it still sell.on there for lots?

superbagpuss Mon 01-Apr-13 08:35:08

love the post re star wars toys, my dh has hidden all his original stuff as he doesn't want it broken. all original transformers are look but not touch and the scaletrix is still in the attic. we were given play mobile and the 3.7 DT love it. Do use local free paper as got big box of toy story stuff really cheap and boys know no different

Tee2072 Mon 01-Apr-13 08:45:51

Train track. Miles and miles of the stuff with 1,000,000 trains to go with it.

JollyPurpleGiant Mon 01-Apr-13 08:51:57

I got loads of playmobil on facebook selling sites. I spent £55 on it and got what would cost around £400 new I reckon. Most of it is 1990s without instructions but there are very few bits missing. Because it was so cheap, DS is allowed to play with it at 23 mo as I'm not precious about it staying in one piece.

westcoastnortherner Mon 01-Apr-13 15:08:35

MrsLouisTheroux we have Saige and Emily, they cost $120 approx plus about $30 shipping as we are in Canada. I have found that the Maplelea furniture is fairly good quality and low shipping, but I wouldn't have one of their dolls.

My mum saved all my sylvanians from when I was little, my DD loves these, and most of them you can still purchase in the shops. She loves to swap their clothes, but they never fit properly after you've taken them off... I remember saving the coupons off boxes of persil for some of them.

rustybusty Mon 01-Apr-13 15:09:37

Our dcs have lots of lego but its all free its their dads collection, so just save all this for your grandkids

westcoastnortherner Mon 01-Apr-13 15:13:28

Yes I think we probably will, most of the dc and marvel villains are currently serving time in the lego city police station and the bat cave, overcrowding us somewhat of an issue. smile

Mandy2003 Mon 01-Apr-13 15:13:59

We have loads of Micromachines playsets. I kept them thinking they'd be infinitely Ebayable but they only make pennies on there 10 years on sad Why didn't DS like the StarWars ones?!

Must sort out the Brio railway though because that's held its price well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now