Talk

Advanced search

Was she BU? Or am I just being pathetic about my jacket?

(19 Posts)
SawyerHuckleberry Sun 31-Mar-13 11:43:03

Out last night with 2 friends, sat down in a bar when one of my friends work colleagues came over, never met her before so friend introduced us and she sat down and started chatting to friend.

Me and other friend went up to get a drink and left our jackets with them. The queue was so long and when we finally got back they'd gone and taken our jackets too.

Went outside to find them and they were there and friend said X is wearing your jacket because she's cold. She was wearing it and was stood there smoking.

Aibu to think this was rude? I'm a non-smoker and really dislike the smell of smoke and it really clings to clothing. Also she'd only just met me - literally only words we had spoken to each other at that point was -hello nice to meet you.

Or am I just being pathetic?

(I agree it's not the crime of the century but it just annoyed me)

YouTheCat Sun 31-Mar-13 11:44:44

It's bloody cheeky.

If she was cold she should have brought a coat, silly moo.

HKat Sun 31-Mar-13 11:45:09

I don't think yabu, I'm a part-time/long-trying-to-give-up/social-drunk-smoker at times, and I would never smoke in someone's coat, especially if a)I didn't know them and b)they weren't smokers.

trixymalixy Sun 31-Mar-13 11:46:59

Yanbu. Cheeky cow.

ENormaSnob Sun 31-Mar-13 11:49:18

Yanbu

I would be furious tbh.

SqueezeMeBakingPowder Sun 31-Mar-13 11:52:21

Good grief, I'd need smelling salts if she'd done that to me! The cheek of it!
shock
YANBU

OOAOML Sun 31-Mar-13 12:04:54

I hope you asked her to pay for dry-cleaning.

pinkyredrose Sun 31-Mar-13 12:06:14

she was a rude cow.

TanteRose Sun 31-Mar-13 12:06:45

Yy, she needs to pay to have it cleaned

Cheeky mare!

NellysKnickers Sun 31-Mar-13 12:08:05

YANBU. Cheeky cah.

IsaacCox Sun 31-Mar-13 12:11:40

YANBU. Rude.

OHforDUCKScake Sun 31-Mar-13 12:12:11

Thats really weird.
Id never wear a strangers item of clothing, let alone smoke in it.

LadyApricot Sun 31-Mar-13 12:15:12

Most Smokers forget how much it smells and sticks to clothes. It was a very weird thing to do especially as she didn't know you!

toffeelolly Sun 31-Mar-13 12:18:11

YANBU. The cheek of her .Hate the smell of smoke on clothesgrin

TWinklyLittleStar Sun 31-Mar-13 12:20:12

YANBU. Cheeky cow. I would have caused A Scene if someone had taken my jacket to go smoking in.

I almost added "without permission" but I would never give permission for that.

ChippingInIsEggceptional Sun 31-Mar-13 12:21:45

I would have thought it a little bit odd but given they'd waited ages for you and decided to go outside for a smoke, then I suppose it was better they took your jackets than just let them where you'd been sitting (depending on the pub I suppose), so whether she was holding it for you or wearing it, it would have still smelt of smoke.

It just reminds us to be glad of how far we have come on the anti smoking campaign that this is even an issue on a night out now - time was when you couldn't go out without coming home stinking of smoke.

Hang it outside for a good blow today, it'll be fine.

blueballoon79 Sun 31-Mar-13 12:22:28

Even without the smoking it's really rude to just use someone elses coat. But throw in the smoking too and that is just rudeness to the extreme!

SawyerHuckleberry Sun 31-Mar-13 12:28:00

I would have thought it a little bit odd but given they'd waited ages for you and decided to go outside for a smoke, then I suppose it was better they took your jackets than just let them where you'd been sitting

They hadn't waited for us, they both had drinks and were happily chatting - then colleague decided she wanted to go out and have a smoke. They weren't sat at the table waiting for us to come back.

I'm glad my friend took my jacket with her - that's not the issue.

Latara Sun 31-Mar-13 12:29:00

YANBU, what a weird thing for her to do! Why did she choose your jacket?! She should have asked. I would be really angry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now