Talk

Advanced search

To not get why people ration older dcs Easter egg consumption

(40 Posts)
chickensaladagain Sun 31-Mar-13 10:52:24

Allergies, sen, dietary issues aside

Surely by the time dcs are 10 ish they are old enough to decide how much chocolate they eat?

Eating all your eggs on Easter morning and then realising that you have none left while your siblings still have them weeks later is one of life's lessons surely?

My dcs have been given free reign but I'm looking after my niece and have been told she can either have the sweets out of an egg or half a shell but not both

My 2 have both stopped at the same quantity but that's their choice -the eggs can only be eaten once so in the grand scheme of a generally healthy diet and 3 ideal weight children, is mass consumption really such a big deal?

Oh and they have 3 each, not 29 wink

HollyBerryBush Sun 31-Mar-13 10:54:36

Because I have cooked a lunch and have people round, they can stuff them selves silly after eating my dinner!

However I long since did away with eggs and birthdays and Christmas - it is merely a money flinging exercise these days

pompompom Sun 31-Mar-13 10:56:22

My sister would always scoff the lot while I would save mine. She'd then steal mine and eat them all.

So hers got rationed.

Hmm.

Cherriesarelovely Sun 31-Mar-13 10:58:49

I agree yanbu.

RatPants Sun 31-Mar-13 10:59:04

I'd rather get it over with in a day or so than have them hanging round the house for weeks too tbh.

CuppaTea83 Sun 31-Mar-13 10:59:38

I agree with you. Regards to the age of 10 ish and above.

I've allowed mine (9, 7 and 3) to eat what they want.

This is the first year my 9 year old is really spacing herself and only eaten a little bit.
My younger two have stuffed themselves silly and feel a bit sick. So I have now insisted they stop for now and eat some after dinner! grin

WMittens Sun 31-Mar-13 11:07:18

It depends - if your kids are sensible, great. I couldn't be trusted with chocolate when I was a kid, I would just keep on eating.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 31-Mar-13 11:11:24

No, dd is exceptionally greedy when it comes to chocolate so she's allowed quarter of her egg (she just has 1) as its very thick chocolate.

She has loads of emotional/control problems and attempts to medicate with food. My job is to make sure she eats a good meal first before allowing sweets on she just wouldn't eat proper food - not because she doesn't love food, like a lot of 15 year olds she would just eat choc.

catlady1 Sun 31-Mar-13 11:11:56

A life lesson I never seemed to learn, unfortunately. In fact I've eaten everything but the egg out of the one I got from DP today already! I do get much more enjoyment from chocolate when I know I can pig out though, rather than rationing myself a little bit and then thinking about it all day.

lottie63 Sun 31-Mar-13 11:13:18

Apparently it s better for teeth if you don t drag sweets stuff out. Eat the lot in one go, clean teeth.

lottie63 Sun 31-Mar-13 11:14:25

^^ a dentist gave me this advice re sweets btw. It reduces the amount of plaque left on teeth

AuntieStella Sun 31-Mar-13 11:14:41

Prolonging the pleasure. Using anticipation to build up to a better experience.

A useful lesson for many things in life.

wankerchief Sun 31-Mar-13 11:16:53

2 year old's are rationed because he will just open them all and gorge while leaving brown hand prints everywhere, plus I'm worried he will leave some out an the dog's will eat them and get ill

10 has eaten 3 already i told I'm to consider stopping at 2 and got this face shock

Its one day

HighBrows Sun 31-Mar-13 11:17:12

I'm in the pig out camp. I don't understand rationing for older kids.

By limiting goodies it can exacerbate a greed/hoarding problem.

HollyBerryBush Sun 31-Mar-13 11:18:06

Gluttony is never pleasant. Everything in moderation.

Thingymajigs Sun 31-Mar-13 11:18:28

Each to their own with this one. Not every person finds moderation easy. My two are above their ideal weight so we will be rationing obviously. Although ds2 ate one egg and promptly felt sick so I'll be interested to see if he chooses to eat less next time. Doubt it somehow.

SkinnybitchWannabe Sun 31-Mar-13 11:20:47

I normally ration the amount my dc eat (7,10) maybe I should let them scoff til they're sick confused
My 14 year old ds eats as much as he wants, in his room so his brothers don't see.

Branleuse Sun 31-Mar-13 11:23:16

i wouldnt let my 12 year old binge on chocolate. YABU, its disgusting

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 31-Mar-13 11:28:18

Because I'm emetophopic so I don't want 11 year old dd to make herself sick. At the moment all she has is a tiny Lindt bunny and a bag of cremr egg splats Snd ds has a bag of tang gastric chicks plus a box if jelly eggs then we have a box of 4 egg and spoons to share as we are on holiday and just popped them in the corner of the suitcase.

chickensaladagain Sun 31-Mar-13 11:38:16

Surely by 11 they stop eating before they are sick?

tiggytape Sun 31-Mar-13 11:42:18

i wouldnt let my 12 year old binge on chocolate. YABU, its disgusting

You might find it disgusting but what age would you allow it?
14? 16? Never under your roof even if they are 25 with a fulltime job and a degree?

DS is 12 and has 3 eggs. So far he's shown little interest in them (despite me hanging around looking keen in case he has the urge to share). If he wants to eat the whole lot this afternoon, he's more than welcome to. He probably won't though.

Takver Sun 31-Mar-13 11:48:46

The only rule in this house is that it is important to share (especially with your mother wink ).

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 31-Mar-13 11:53:52

I was 15 when I made myself sick on a box of after eights!

11 is still young. It's my job as a parent to try and teach moderation.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sun 31-Mar-13 12:01:24

Two words.

CHOCOLATE. VOMIT.

Been there, done that, cleared up the Vom, never again, hence rationing!

Branleuse Sun 31-Mar-13 12:04:37

when i couldnt stop them anymore, then id 'allow' it, but even if dp did it, then id comment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now