Talk

Advanced search

...to NOT be in charge of making my own birthday card from the kids?

(14 Posts)
Arana Sun 31-Mar-13 03:52:30

sigh

I hoped that DH or my Dad (who is staying at the moment) might have arranged for the kids (3 and 5) to get me a birthday present, or help them make me a card, but it would seem not.

Does anyone have a good birthday after they've had kids? I've had nothing from them other than a spoken "happy birthday" in 5 years.

/grumpy.

notimefors Sun 31-Mar-13 04:25:16

When is your birthday? Is there not time to get someone to sit and make a card?

YANBU. Your DH is being a bit rubbish. Do you do anything for his birthday?

TheUnsinkableTitanic Sun 31-Mar-13 04:44:38

have you let them know that you expect more than a "happy birthday?"

Happy Birthday by the way and here are some virtual flowers

Hope you have a lovely day

Buzzardbird Sun 31-Mar-13 04:45:27

Do you not get anything from your husband?
why is he so selfish? Have you asked him?
what do you do for his bd?
what does he do for mother's day?

wombatcheese Sun 31-Mar-13 04:49:48

Have a happy birthday from me also! You need to make it clear to DH how much a DC made card and a present (and cake and general Bday fuss) would mean to you. There's no place for being subtle here!

hwjm1945 Sun 31-Mar-13 07:43:02

He is a lazy area,mine has now learned that he needs to engage and this year made me chocolate dipped cherries with the kids. But it has been a long road......

BrunellaPommelhorse Sun 31-Mar-13 07:45:36

You need to stamp down on this fast. It is important the kids see you being celebrated. Have a strong word.

jetstar Sun 31-Mar-13 07:47:49

YANBU your husband needs to help your children do something special for your birthday. Can you have a serious chat with him?

SagelyNodding Sun 31-Mar-13 08:31:28

I so feel for you sad my birthday was Thursday, and dp only pulled his finger out at the last minute (when he saw how upset I was). My parents, however still haven't picked up the phone to wish me a happy birthday....

It was a major birthday as well sad

Give your dp a bollocking, and Happy Birthday from me thanks

RedHelenB Sun 31-Mar-13 08:41:03

Not long till your kids do it for themselves for eg. my ds 6 has made his big sis a dr who easter card all by himslef cos they both like dr who! Much nicer!!

StuntGirl Sun 31-Mar-13 11:57:12

Because he's (supposedly) a grown up he shouldn't need telling to get a card and present for someone's birthday. He also shouldn't need telling to organise the same for small children.

However, if he's done it for 5 years running he isn't going to change now. Tell him what you want. If he ignores your request after you've explicitly told him what you want then you know its sheer twattery as opposed to thoughtlesness.

What do you do for his birthday?

shemademedoit Sun 31-Mar-13 12:09:04

I buys self something fabulous, and more expensive than I'd usually go for. Then thank DH for it on my birthday. That way he at least has the sense to shut up about the cost. After 5 years of him doing nothing for me though, I did decide that he too could be responsible for the presents for his family members (parents/sibs). Now they generally only get a card (which I still do). Doesn't make a difference really: they nevere mentioned the pressies when they for them, so I don't think they were missed. Some people just aren't that into birthdays, others (like my family) are.

shemademedoit Sun 31-Mar-13 12:09:44

I promise I can write properly, but my autocorrect hates me.

I buy myself something.... Etc etc

shemademedoit Sun 31-Mar-13 12:10:38

(can I blame the sugar-high too?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now