Talk

Advanced search

to buy DD a red bike

(32 Posts)
midastouch Sat 30-Mar-13 21:53:44

I got this redbike for my DDs 1st birthday next week!
It turns out that DPs sister has also brought DD a bike, DP told his sis we'd got her one and she said 'never mind now shes got 2' hmm when i showed her which one we'd brought she said 'oh it looks like a boys bike the one ive brought her is nice and girly'
Is it boyish? I cant take it back i got it about 2 months ago.

ilovepowerhoop Sat 30-Mar-13 21:56:56

a red bike is fine. Who says girls have to have pink?!

hwjm1945 Sat 30-Mar-13 21:57:48

No but even if it was would it matter?

MatchsticksForMyEyes Sat 30-Mar-13 21:58:22

His sis is a loon. A bike's a bike. It doesn't matter what colour it is. Resist all attempts to get your DD stuff just because it's 'girly'. My DD is 5 and I've just bought her a red scooter, which she loves. I am going to get her as many things as I can in colours that people don't particularly associate with a particular gender as I hate this kind of attitude.

MortifiedAdams Sat 30-Mar-13 21:58:41

just say she has a bike and doesnt need two and is it ok for you to swap it?

thishouseisashittip Sat 30-Mar-13 21:59:01

I think that's a lovely colour, not boyish at all. Like pp said girls don't HAVE to have pink.

AgentZigzag Sat 30-Mar-13 21:59:41

I wouldn't feel comfortable getting the same big item/milestone present as the mum and dad and would change it as soon as I knew.

For such a big thing it's surprising she didn't check with either of you beforehand (or could she have and your DH hasn't said?)

And she's talking rot about it being a 'boys bike', why would she try to do you down? To try and make herself look/feel better I suspect?

Binkyridesagain Sat 30-Mar-13 22:01:22

Tell her it's not a boys bike, it can't be as boys are only allowed blue coloured things!

MamaBear17 Sat 30-Mar-13 22:02:40

My dd has a similar contraption and it is red, blue and yellow. Some of the stuff she has is pink and girly, but some is not. She is currently wearing PJ's from the boys clothing aisle because she liked them. I think the bike you have bought is lovely.

AgentZigzag Sat 30-Mar-13 22:02:54

And it's not a boys bike because it's being given to a girl!

Selks Sat 30-Mar-13 22:06:06

It's a perfectly nice bike for a girl or a boy. Preferable to one that is all pink and 'girly' imo. Attitudes like that of your SIL depress the hell out of me.

midastouch Sat 30-Mar-13 22:08:07

I dont think she checked before but she might have done maybe DP just wasnt listening, she did the same with DS we got him a scooter for his birthday (in the summer) she got him one for christmas!
I just wanted reassurance that people werent going to say aww what a lovely little boy when we're out and DPs no help he doesnt even know what colour it is because hes colourblind.
I dont know why im even concerned about her opinion really.

gemma4d Sat 30-Mar-13 22:16:09

I had "aww what a lovely little boy" many a time for both my girls, even when dressed in a PINK DRESS. There is nothing at all wrong with a red bike - looks lovely!

Anifrangapani Sat 30-Mar-13 22:19:32

Islabikes - best kids bikes ever are red.

AgentZigzag Sat 30-Mar-13 22:21:32

What if they do say 'aww what a lovely little boy' OP?

Just smile and accept the homage smile

DorisIsWaiting Sat 30-Mar-13 22:22:55

Bought dd2 (5) a red and yellow bike, she is a VERY girly girl.

Told her red bikes go faster and she will be able to beat her sister, very happy dd!

(we didn't have much choice with the red as it was from ebay)

SIL is a loon (and possibly trying to step on yur toes...)

Lueji Sat 30-Mar-13 22:23:54

It's lovely and not at all a boy bike.

It would have something like flames, spiderman, or another boy theme thingy.

DorisIsWaiting Sat 30-Mar-13 22:23:54

(PS you could sell SIL and get something else for dd with the money as you really don't ned 2 bikes cluttering up the place)

Lueji Sat 30-Mar-13 22:25:51

Actually, I think it's nice to have two bikes for when cousins or friends come around.

and you can always dispose of hers on eBay/freecycle

JackieTheFart Sat 30-Mar-13 22:30:18

I had comments about my 'lovely boy and his sister' once.

They are identical twin boys! Don't sweat whether she looks like a boy or a girl - they're fairly androgynous at this age, really until they can talk and start identifying as a boy or girl.

And tell SIL to get a refund, who the hell wants two of those massive bikes hanging around?

ClutchingPearls Sat 30-Mar-13 22:30:31

DD2 has a blue bike. She loves it, as does every other child on the street. They all want a go on it. Its bright, bold and has monsters on it, much more appealing than some pink or pastel one.

Iaintdunnuffink Sat 30-Mar-13 22:39:05

It's a great trike. Mine loved those instead of a pushchair at that age. Why would a just 1 year old girl care notice if its pink and fluffy confused it's bright, it glossy, what's not to like.

Personally, I would never buy a large item like the for someone without checking first. Unless they had plenty of free outdoor storage! My Mum has brought a couple of bikes for mine but it was discussed first.

steppemum Sat 30-Mar-13 22:59:26

just a warning, if her bike is covered in sparkly bits and has pink streamers on the handles etc etc, you dd might want hers not yours.

As it would be difficult to return yours I think you need to tell her - nice but we have it and she needs to exchange hers. use the excuse that you can't take yours back, and you don't want 2 (storage of 2 bikes is a pain)

Iaintdunnuffink Sat 30-Mar-13 23:06:18

Is it time for one of those phone calls, thank you so so much for thinking of buying one, that's very generous for a 1st birthday, sadly we don't have room for two, do you have the receipt?

catgirl1976 Sat 30-Mar-13 23:10:06

That's not a boys bike.

It's a bit Moulin Rougue if anything (which I rather like)

What sort of bike has your DS bought her? I think I would point out you have got her a bike and therefore she doesn't need 2 (lovely as the thought was)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now