Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to expect my PIL of 10 years to use my name?

(58 Posts)
specialmagiclady Sat 30-Mar-13 20:45:13

It's hilarious! We have a bit of an iffy relationship which may be why I've noticed, but I can't remember the last time he used my name. This evening, he was handing out food and it was "pass this to... Your mum" or "here you go...er... " etc but never just "there you go, Special".

It's sort of like the opposite of bingo and I'm wondering how I can turn it into a drinking game... Or anything to make it feel less like a grave insult, tbh.

EuroShaggleton Sat 30-Mar-13 20:45:53

Is it a tricky name to pronounce or something?

LondonInHighHeeledBoots Sat 30-Mar-13 20:52:59

Next time, just loudly say 'Special. My name is SPECIAL'. Or obviously wear a prominent 'Hi! My Name Is' badge next time they come over. Are the DC old enough to train? 'Granddad, mummy's name is Special you know'.

specialmagiclady Sat 30-Mar-13 20:53:44

If you we're born between 1965 and 1985 it is likely to be your first or middle name. So no. Just calls me you (FIL really but now I think of it, not sure what MiL calls me either)

MDA Sat 30-Mar-13 20:55:11

Hi Elizabeth xx

MDA Sat 30-Mar-13 20:55:47

Or Jane. Or similar grin

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sat 30-Mar-13 20:56:26

Maybe he forgot it years ago and is just too embarrassed to say. grin

Get your husband to say your name at the end of every sentence he utters.
Or, even better, get him to call you by a different name, just to see what your father in law does grin

b4bunnies Sat 30-Mar-13 21:00:59

a different name... i like that.

LaQueen Sat 30-Mar-13 21:01:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sat 30-Mar-13 21:16:19

My husband never uses my name.

We have been married for 14 years now and the last time I recall him calling me by my name was on our wedding day when we said our vows! grin

I joke that he forgot my name on our wedding night and is too embarrassed to say.

He just calls me Gorgeousness.

Which I am sure breaks some sort of Descriptions Legislation, but never mind. grin

I really do think it would be funny to have your husband start calling you, I dunno, Barbara or something. Straight faced. And you respond to it.

Their faces would be amazing. grin

StinkyElfCheese Sat 30-Mar-13 21:18:57

Dh grandad calls me all sorts of names over the 13 years I have been Jenna jemma Anna Hanna Chloe cleo Claire all dogs names all sil names all kids names he has even started calling me 'dear' bless I would feel bad but he does it to everyone even his dog looks at him untill he gets the right name smile I will let him off he is in his 90's. He makes tea and brings me cake smile

Euphemia Sat 30-Mar-13 21:19:05

My mum never calls my dad by his name! Not even if she needs to attract his attention. Bloody weird!

Yama Sat 30-Mar-13 21:21:52

I'm like Hec - my dh rarely uses my name. When he does, I immediately assume I'm getting into trouble.

People are weird.

LaQueen Sat 30-Mar-13 21:23:36

AgentZigzag Sat 30-Mar-13 21:23:48

I'd much rather someone didn't use my name at all than be talking to someone who constantly uses it in every sentence.

Why do people do that?

It's very patronising.

AgentZigzag Sat 30-Mar-13 21:25:03

DH doesn't really use my name either just yells 'Oi, shithead' I'd be a bit suspicious if he started formally addressing me grin

LaQueen Sat 30-Mar-13 21:27:17

specialmagiclady Sat 30-Mar-13 21:32:21

Glad I'm not alone in this. I wouldn't mind dear or even one of the many nicknames I go by, but the lack of Name thing is weird.

MyDarlingClementine Sat 30-Mar-13 21:34:30

Well mine still call me by maiden name, i.e. refuse that I am now Mrs Darling.

Mil sent bday card to my maiden name, they put other stuff in my maiden name!

HazeltheMcWitch Sat 30-Mar-13 21:35:20

Maybe he doesn't know how to refer to you in front of the DC?
Should he use your 1st name? (and risk them saying Jane. JAne. JAne. Jaaaane forever more)
Should he call you.... Mummy ?

KatieScarlett2833 Sat 30-Mar-13 21:37:14

DH " Huns" me
I really should LTB smile

StuntGirl Sat 30-Mar-13 21:37:36

People really don't get called by their name by partners/family? Ever? Very weird!

booboobeedoo Sat 30-Mar-13 21:39:27

Louise

Jestrin Sat 30-Mar-13 21:43:30

It is a bit odd that your in laws have yet to call you by your first name. That said I call my DH 'lover'. Everywhere, even calling to him in the supermarket grin so much so that when the DC were smaller they'd call up the stairs 'lover! mummy wants you!' grin

LaQueen Sat 30-Mar-13 21:45:05

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now