Talk

Advanced search

to think our local florist is taking the Mick?

(15 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 30-Mar-13 19:50:38

We're lucky enough to live in a village/suburb of a small city and we have our own little high street. It's very traditional and very old fashioned in a smart kind of stylee.

We've got a butcher, fishmonger, a smart women's clothes shop which sells Joules etc and a children's shoe shop which also has nice little outfits...card shops, gift shop, deli...post office...couple of cafe's and a nice swishy bakery...you get the picture...the florist is a stylish one and quite expensive.

I looked at their display today...full of pots of primroses, mini daffodils etc and also....a tray of vintage cups with flowers in them priced at £8.50 each. The cups were yesterday on sale in the charity shop over the road for 2 quid for 6!

I almost went in and said "Recycling is great but don't take the piss!"

Nobody will buy them will they?

KatyTheCleaningLady Sat 30-Mar-13 19:52:52

YABU, probably.

Charity shops sell things that can be resold at a higher price all the time. And if they have flowers in them that would make them a nice gift... Why not?

trinity0097 Sat 30-Mar-13 19:52:59

They probably will!

RobotLover68 Sat 30-Mar-13 19:53:25

Actually I think YABU - they've seen an opportunity and are looking to capitalise- it's a free market

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 30-Mar-13 19:53:46

You're right...I just think ffs! Get your vintage cups from a shop that's NOT over the road you eejits!

Elkieb Sat 30-Mar-13 19:55:36

If it's Market Harborough then I'm not surprised!

MrsLouisTheroux Sat 30-Mar-13 20:17:15

I don't understand the problem!
The charity shop priced up the cups, the florist bought them, stuck in a few flowers and labelled them £8.50.
If someone is stupid enough to buy an old teacup and a few flowers for £8.50 they deserve to be ripped off.
The charity shop got the price they asked for so no loss there.

zlist Sat 30-Mar-13 20:20:41

YABU
They are running a business and they gave the charity shop their business. It is entirely up to the customer whether or not they are prepared to pay the £8.50

heidihole Sat 30-Mar-13 20:21:19

YABU. That is how business works. Buy stock cheaper, add value, and sell more expensively.

olivertheoctopus Sat 30-Mar-13 23:43:36

YABU. Nice idea to buy from local charity shop and support local businesses and make some money too.

Bluelightsandsirens Sat 30-Mar-13 23:47:57

Yabu they are supporting local business whilst making the most of their own.

I would be please with anyone that gave me a profit line like this one!

Bluelightsandsirens Sat 30-Mar-13 23:48:47

*d

MissEverdeen Sun 31-Mar-13 09:22:52

Elkieb I thought exactly the same thing!! grin

Tee2072 Sun 31-Mar-13 10:37:37

Yes. That's how capitalism works.

Do you think Tesco pays the same £2 for the package of biscuits that you pay them? Of course not. They have a mark up.

The florist saw a good deal and took advantage of it. Good on them.

MurderOfGoths Sun 31-Mar-13 10:39:18

YABU. Also, that's a damn good idea, my MIL would adore those!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now