Talk

Advanced search

To buy things for myself from the Girlguiding catalogue

(18 Posts)
pigletmania Sat 30-Mar-13 19:45:33

Dd is in Rainbows and I received a catalogue with lots of nice things to buy. I quite like a dressing gown and jumper with th logo on. I am not a leader or anything AIBU

IncrediblePhatTheInnkeepersCat Sat 30-Mar-13 19:52:12

I'm a guide leader.

There are lots of lovely things in the catalogue. As long as you avoid the official leader uniform, then go for it. smile.

You could always register as an occasional unit helper with the rainbow unit if you feel odd about it, then you could freely wear any of the member's stuff. Or you could join the Trefoil Guild - for adult women from 18, kind of the GGUK version of the WI.

RainbowRabbit33 Sat 30-Mar-13 19:55:01

I think you're OK with the dressing gown, but would be cautious about the jumper. Can you post a link? Some stuff is meant for adult members (which is different to leaders).

I'd go into your local guide shop and ask them about it, they'll be able to advise which items are appropriate. They may well agree to order one in for you so that you'll be able to try it on. I always have to go a size smaller than usual for Guide wear, and the dimensions are frankly odd for most items. As a bonus, youwon't have to pay the awful delivery charge from the online shop AND your local division will get a cut of the profits.

pigletmania Sat 30-Mar-13 19:58:37

Ok thanks, the catalogue is not online, the jumper does not look like a leader one, more like a light blue knitted one with trefoils on

pigletmania Sat 30-Mar-13 20:00:24

I would like to volunteer once ds 14 month is older I would not know what to do with him as I don't kno anyone who could look after him, dh works until 7pm

CrystalQueen Sat 30-Mar-13 20:03:02

I really like my gguk hoody thing, it might be the same one?
www.girlguidingshop.co.uk/Knitted-Jacket-1.aspx

Unlike my leader fleece which is hideous.

pigletmania Sat 30-Mar-13 20:04:46

Oooo crystal that's te one I love it. In their catalogue it was £21 shock

Euphemia Sat 30-Mar-13 20:06:35

I have that hoodie - it's nice! The jewellery is nice too.

CrystalQueen Sat 30-Mar-13 20:07:18

The catalogue is probably a bit out of date - I don't know when they get printed.
Anyway it's nice in real life!

pigletmania Sat 30-Mar-13 20:14:40

Thanks everyone, yes I saw the jewellery it looks lovely. There are so many nice things

pigletmania Sat 30-Mar-13 20:15:44

I will order that cardigan. Do te sizes come up large. I am a 14-16 on the top

RainbowRabbit33 Sat 30-Mar-13 20:38:48

I think they recently reduced some of the clothes - I heard a new range is going to be launched ov the next few weeks/months to go with the re-branding. Don't quote me though! Your local shop should be able to get them at online prices. Is that enough pushing the local shop now?! My district gets a fair wad of cash every year, for which I am very grateful!

I find most of the clothes a bit short in the body and very baggy in the arms, but don't have the cardigan you like. I'd go for a 14.

currentbuns Sat 30-Mar-13 20:59:16

My DD just started rainbows. The jogging pants are very odd - the pocket is on the front? Or rather, on what I assume to be the front, as the inner label is on the opposing side. Does anyone know if they are all like this, or did I just buy a faulty pair?

Euphemia Sat 30-Mar-13 21:05:32

Yes the pocket's on the front, then it's actually useful. smile

currentbuns Sat 30-Mar-13 21:07:47

Great, thanks for clearing that up! One less thing to be mildly mystified by... It just looks like the sort of pocket you usually see on the back?

IncrediblePhatTheInnkeepersCat Sat 30-Mar-13 21:09:09

If you want to start volunteering before then, you could always try other sections, which generally start later in the evenings. Frequently Guides is the section most lacking in volunteers, or you could put your name down for events/stall-manning/administration.

It's great fun and always something to help with out of unit meetings.

pigletmania Sat 30-Mar-13 21:54:08

Thanks incredible. Yes dd rainbow lantern were odd, I ended up putting them on her with pocket on the back not realising tat pocket should be at the front

pigletmania Sat 30-Mar-13 21:54:40

Meant trousers silly auto correct

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now