Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to not make my DS wear a bodysuit with a skull and crossbones.

(35 Posts)
lovetomoan Sat 30-Mar-13 16:05:06

I do not like the whole 'pirate' fashion or skulls in any item of clothing, not for myself, baby, etc. but a friend gave me as a gift some clothing with the 'pirate theme' all in black and white.

I see it as a symbol of death, something that you see in a bottle of bleach maybe? Not something a baby should wear. AIBU to not use it? I obviously thanked my friend but won't make my baby wear it

Katienana Sat 30-Mar-13 16:07:01

If you don't like it, take one pic of baby wearing it, send to friend, then take clothes to charity shop. If friend asks say it got poo stained. Sorted!

InNeedOfBrandy Sat 30-Mar-13 16:07:03

hmm How strange you are op

SkinnybitchWannabe Sat 30-Mar-13 16:11:37

Wouldn't bother me at all but everyone is different so if you don't like it don't use it.
Simple

MarthasHarbour Sat 30-Mar-13 16:14:03

Just wait until your 'baby' is 3 and obsessed with everything pirate! grin

'symbol of death' hmm

EuroShaggleton Sat 30-Mar-13 16:17:11

Bizarre, but it's up to you until he's old enough to choose his own clothes.

Bluegrass Sat 30-Mar-13 16:19:03

That's nothing - I saw some girl's clothing that was completely covered in stylised representations of a human heart! Imagine being covered in pictures of an internal organ - eurgh!

cocoachannel Sat 30-Mar-13 16:19:37

Not unreasonable - your choice on dress for a while. Children very quickly have an opinion on what they will and won't wear!

olivertheoctopus Sat 30-Mar-13 16:22:56

Don't put your child in it if you don't like it. My MIL buys all sorts of naff shit for my kids but if I don't like it, they don't wear it.

UserError Sat 30-Mar-13 16:30:08

Each to their own. I hate saccharine sweet pink stuff. I like the idea of putting the baby in it just once to take a picture, then 'losing' it for a while until baby has gone up a clothing size.

INeedThatForkOff Sat 30-Mar-13 16:50:20

Why is the OP strange, FFS? Rude [glares]

She's right, it is a symbol of (danger of) death, appropriated by kids' clothes manufacturers to the point where we're so saturated we don't think much about it. Why shouldn't she choose not to dress her DS in death symbolism? Yes of course it's likely he will choose it for himself soon enough, but at this stage, why force it on him?

MyNameIsLola Sat 30-Mar-13 16:58:19

YANBU.

I have 3 boys and absolutely hate all the skull 'fashion' that has been around for the past few years. It's all personal taste, I know but just not for me.

I second putting it on him for 5 minutes, take pic, text it to friend saying 'thank you' and then the item getting 'badly stained' somehow.

BenjaminButton172 Sat 30-Mar-13 17:23:00

Skulls are the sign of death. I love them. I have a whole heap of clothing with skulls on it.

HOWEVER that is my taste and if you dont like it you dont need to dress your child in it.

Downandoutnumbered Sat 30-Mar-13 17:25:41

I wouldn't, OP, because it would just feel like bad taste when an old friend has been in danger on anti-piracy patrol off Somalia. But not everyone shares my view, I know.

Tailtwister Sat 30-Mar-13 17:28:20

I'm not keen on the whole skull and crossbones thing, especially on babies. Just take a photo and give it to a charity shop.

Fleecyslippers Sat 30-Mar-13 17:32:20

Why not swapsie with the mummy who doesn't want 7 week old DD to see that her sleepsuit says 'little lady'.....

VinegarDrinker Sat 30-Mar-13 17:38:39

I don't understand the obsession with pirates. We don't celebrate and fetishise mass murderers...

OP I would thank her and give it away or exchange it.

PeggyCarter Sat 30-Mar-13 18:51:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Andratx Sat 30-Mar-13 19:05:14

I also hate the skull and crossbones symbol. IMO it's fine for pirate fancy dress parties only. And not for babies at all. YANBU.

Floweryhat Sat 30-Mar-13 19:10:25

YANBU my kids don't wear it, including girls items handed down with such motifs. They got given to charity.

I too hate saccarine pink!

StuntGirl Sat 30-Mar-13 19:21:44

If you don't like it don't use it. Simple.

TiggyD Sat 30-Mar-13 19:31:10

Don't put it on them if it don't shiver your timbers.

StuntGirl Sat 30-Mar-13 19:55:46

Tiggy grin

dementedmumof6 Sat 30-Mar-13 20:20:42

don't put it on then, just wait till they choose their own clothes.

My teenage daughter showed me a hoodie online and asked if could get it i said yes thinking it was lots of neon circles and was only when it arrived home did i realise it was neon cats with half their brain exposed, completely not my taste but she loved it and wore it till it fell apart.
And when i pointed out it was brains her response was what did you expect its a cats brain jumper ,and will teach me to read the description rather than just look at the picture

MeanAndMeaslyMiddleAges Sat 30-Mar-13 20:55:57

Wow, I'm walking around with a symbol of death inside my own head!!! Get it out, get it out! smile

Personally I love the skull fashion at the moment but yadnbu - your baby, you shouldn't have to put them in anything you dislike. I too was given clothes I loathe - mini short-sleeved shirts (baby's first summer court appearance), rugby shirt, polo shirts - all ick to me. I do the photo for thanks, then it gets lost until he's grown out of it. They grow like weeds when they're young anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now