Talk

Advanced search

Wibu to make a complaint estate agent/ll related (sorry long)

(15 Posts)
Wannabestepfordwife Fri 29-Mar-13 20:37:32

Dh, dd and I have been living in rented accommodation for the past year and have just bought a house. The ll of flat put it up for sale while we have been living here.

I found out the flat was for sale when dd was 4 months when a man knocked on door and said if you hear banging I'm putting up a sign all the flats are for sale.

Contacted the letting agents they didn't know anything about it. A few days later an estate agent came round and explained that all flats were for sale and they would be contacting us about viewings.

A day later I was sat in our living room when I heard the door go and the ll pa was letting herself in.

The estate agents proceeded to bring viewers round with 20 mins notice 3 hours notice and turning up on the same day with 2 sets of viewers when we had already agreed 1 viewer.

When dd was 7 months the lights in the hallway went and there is no natural light so I was having to carry dd in the dark up and down stairs with constant phone calls it took 4 days to sort out.

In feb estate agents called and gave me 90 mins notice of a viewer when the viewer came round she was a tennant of one of the other flats she proceeded to inform me that all the flats had sold and she was looking at renting ours. I'm sure this breaks our tenancy agreement.

All quiet as we have given our notice then on wed mil and I returned from shopping to find a fire inspector in flat. He had been told by estate agents that it was fine to go in.

Went into estate agents the manager was very agressive and said fire inspector had gone in off his own back and didn't want to deal with his staffs actions. They had also been taking viewers round next doors flat when neighbour had stated no viewers unless she was there.

Thanks if you have kept reading! I don't know if I should complain or who I should complain about

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 29-Mar-13 20:41:55

Shelter gives legal advice, I think. But, it sounds like you're leaving, anyway. And, I don't think you'll be able to accomplish much, anyway.

Wannabestepfordwife Fri 29-Mar-13 20:46:25

That's what I thought but I just hate the fact I came into my home without my knowledge or permission

EasilyBored Fri 29-Mar-13 20:54:00

Could you tell the ll that next time someone enters your flat without permission, you will call the police and report an intruder?

Hope the move to your house goes well!

Wannabestepfordwife Fri 29-Mar-13 21:01:05

Have told the estate agents next time I will call the police. Thanks easily we have already had raw sewage in the bathroom so the new hous can only get better lol

Maggie111 Fri 29-Mar-13 21:03:56

Send an email with your complaints so far.

If you have a deposit dispute - you have something nice to send to get your deposit back.

Other than that as you're leaving - very little reason to kick up a fuss (by reason I mean of course you're right to be furious, but there's nothing you can achieve)

livingstondaisy Fri 29-Mar-13 21:51:18

You do not have to allow any viewings whatsoever. You are legally entitled to quiet enjoyment of your home.

Write, not email, write, to the letting agent and copy in the landlord stating that you do not permit anyone access to your home and if anyone attempt to come in you will call 999.

In the meantime, YouTube videos of how to change the barrel in your lock. Get yourself to b and q where you can get a barrel for less than a tenner. Change it over so nobody can get in and keep the original and return it when you leave.

I am a landlord and you are perfectly entitled and not unreasonable at all to do this.

Wannabestepfordwife Fri 29-Mar-13 22:30:06

Thank you living that's really good advice

wibblyjelly Sat 30-Mar-13 08:15:02

They definitely aren't allowed to do this! Check your tenancy agreement, our old one said they had to give us 24 hours notice.
This happened also to my dsis, who is a nurse. She had just finished a nightshift, and went to bed. Woke up to find the estate agent and viewers in her bedroom. She started putting the chain on, as they would still come in with no notice.
Even if you are leaving soon, still keep complaining, as they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

greenfolder Sat 30-Mar-13 08:51:21

We had this, but only in last month of tenancy and only by agreement. I did not tidy or answer questions ect. I refused at weekends and in the last week as we were packing ect. I had changed the lock on the front door so they couldnt

zwischenzug Sat 30-Mar-13 09:46:42

Wibbly is wrong about 24 hours notice, the contract may say that but its bollocks and doesn't override the law. As a tenant you do not have to allow anyone in at all. That's what rent is for, regardless of what the average idiot landlord and high school dropout letting agent might think. You need to stand up for yourself. You are also entitled to change the locks if you think they might try and do viewing without permission, provided you put the original ones back when you leave.

Unfortunately when it comes to repairs tenants have so few effective rights in the UK there's not much you can do, threatening any sort of legal action will likely see you with a s21 notice to leave. For long term renters its best to just keep moving until you find a decent landlord, there are a lot of cowboys, but a few decent ones.

Wannabestepfordwife Sat 30-Mar-13 09:54:40

Thanks for your responses I'm definately going to complain even though we are moving out I hate the thought of someone being stuck in rented accommodation feeling like they have to let these estate agents take the piss or they will lose goodwill of landlord

zwischenzug Sat 30-Mar-13 10:04:03

Unfortunately your average EA is so unprofessional they are unlikely to give a shit about any complaints, especially from tenants who they typically regard as inferior humans to property owners. Private renting is totally unregulated at the moment and it really does show. Probably the best thing you can do is law down the law with regards to viewings - they only happen on your terms, or not at all (or you just don't want them at all, you're perfectly entitled to tell them that).

Wannabestepfordwife Sat 30-Mar-13 10:16:28

Totally agree with you zwischenzug the service we have had as homebuyers could not be more different.

Even if the ea don't care I'm still going to complain and I'm going to write to my mp about how the letting industry needs regulating.

CalamityJ Sat 30-Mar-13 10:19:06

I'm sure it makes you feel nervous with your baby that someone could come in at any minute so no complain away and use a chain/new barrel so the agent looks stupid to the viewers and maybe they'll think twice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now