Talk

Advanced search

To find the war of the worlds film on now quite scary?

(20 Posts)
SneezingwakestheJesus Fri 29-Mar-13 20:31:44

I've seen it so many times but it still scares me! Just the thought of this happening and having to protect dd and how scared Dakota fanning looks and oh my oh my. The first time I saw it I thought it was shit. But now, I'm sat with my body all tense being scared shock

aldiwhore Fri 29-Mar-13 20:33:38

It IS shit.

However, if the thought of the end of everything via Alien tripods scares you, YANBU to be scared.

Or if you're not scared of the above, but life's caught you in a wobbly moment, YANBU to be scared.

That thing next to you, the black thing with buttons... it can make it all go away.

BeyondTheLimitsOfEgceptability Fri 29-Mar-13 20:35:03

Yy, it is shit.
But I sympathise with random moments of worrying about DC in ridiculous scenarios. Mine was The Road, I had to stop reading it! blush

IWantATowel Fri 29-Mar-13 20:37:37

yanbu providing you have just smoked a doobie, otherwise yabu

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 29-Mar-13 20:39:50

I really love that movie! It's scary and Tom Cruise is really good in it.

Oh, and I agree on The Road. I did finish it, but the thought of it being one of MY little boys is just too horrible.

thezebrawearspurple Fri 29-Mar-13 20:42:42

It's an awful movie, characters annoying, bad acting, terrible script, nothing remotely scary about it unless you're 5, yabu.

SneezingwakestheJesus Fri 29-Mar-13 20:43:47

I've not smoked anything haha! Its the thought of there being literally nowhere on earth to escape these things argh! The bit just now with the basement made me feel sick. I should really turn it off.

stargirl1701 Fri 29-Mar-13 20:49:45

I had to hide The Road in the freezer! I was so scared grin I gave it to my Dad in the end. I couldn't even have the book in the house!

I'm watching WoTW too. It is having a different impact on me now I am a mum.

IWantATowel Fri 29-Mar-13 20:50:15

is that when you Hear them churning out human waste product? that's the only bit I remember about the film!

Scholes34 Fri 29-Mar-13 20:53:01

The music's not so good in this version.

Mumsyblouse Fri 29-Mar-13 20:53:31

I think it is scary because it has vunerable children in it, and the thought of having to protect them is very frightening (and of course what lots of parents have to do every day if they live in a war zone). Apart from that, it's crap!

AgentZigzag Fri 29-Mar-13 20:55:30

It's a bit creepy, but it not being very plausible lets it down a bit.

I was at the right age for the Tripods to scare the fuck out of me, hard to forget <swallows>

SneezingwakestheJesus Fri 29-Mar-13 21:04:00

It was the bit where they are in their mums house hiding in the basement and all the flashy lights are going off outside and they are frozen in fear.

Hmm I wonder if that's why it scares me so much now because I have a child myself who id have to lug about and rescue if this happened for real. Almost up the really random implausible bit where the son does a runner for no reason.

IWantATowel Fri 29-Mar-13 21:12:24

actually I bet if I watched it again now having a 3 year old I'd see it differently. bf says paranormal activity scares him shitless. not seen it myself

aldiwhore Fri 29-Mar-13 21:15:31

Agent I had my 'tripod' scary moment in Art Class when we had to draw a picture based on the Album (weird round big thing, not CD) but I think that was more my imagination than actual tripod killers. (Judging by what I drew).

ariane5 Fri 29-Mar-13 21:43:30

I understand.It scares me too!

But I have a massive problem with scary films-paranormal activity, poltergeist. The fourth kind had me disturbed for weeks I literally couldn't sleep and would be in tears! And if I ever wake up at 3.33 I have to get dh up to sit with me.

Always was like this as a child-used to have recurring nightmares about nuclear war (and am so tempted to order Threads from amazon) I think I have a v sensitive disposition! Dh sometimes shouts at me "look away look away now!" If a scary trailer comes on tv as I can't then get it out of my head!

I'm such a wimp!

Iwantmybed Fri 29-Mar-13 21:50:04

What a terrible film. Not a fan of Sci Fi in general though. We watched this on our honeymoon in a tiny 50s cinema in Hawaii the choice was this or Batman Begins. We made the wrong decision... Its just anti climactic.

MidniteScribbler Fri 29-Mar-13 22:19:40

Never seen the Cruise version.

I am shit scared of the music from the original. My mother was playing the record (!) one day when I came home from school when I was young, and I didn't know it was a play. Freaked out completely. I still can't handle it to this day. "The chances of anything coming from Mars...... " :::shudder::

ladymariner Fri 29-Mar-13 23:11:15

The scariest thing in this version is all the work Tom Cruise has had done on his face confused

SneezingwakestheJesus Fri 29-Mar-13 23:54:53

I've calmed down now over my fear but those horn noises they make still haunt me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now