Talk

Advanced search

Hipp organics magical sleep through milk...??

(30 Posts)
mouseymummy Fri 29-Mar-13 09:40:15

I've just been browsing google wondering how I'm going to getsome bloody sleep!!

Ive come across this milk thats got cereals and something else in thats meant to "fill up little tums for longer," meaning that apparently babies sleep through...

The reviews look pretty good but I don't want to try something that's risky... What's the mn consensus, yay or nay?

PacificDogwood Fri 29-Mar-13 09:44:22

What age group is it for?

AFAIK giving milk and cereal in a bottle was the done thing in the 60s/70s, but is quite frowned about now.

IME, type of milk/solids had absolutely NO effect on sleep or no sleep.

I sniff a marketing rat... grin

jkklpu Fri 29-Mar-13 09:45:20

Sounds like nonsense. How old is your baby? If s/he is small, you shouldn't be giving him/her cereals anyway.

Feminine Fri 29-Mar-13 09:47:30

I wouldn't be scared to try it.

Some communities in the US still bulk out bottles with cereal, in 2013!

That I wouldn't do.

Give it a go , I don't think your little one will sleep through though ~ sorry.

mouseymummy Fri 29-Mar-13 09:47:57

I think it's 6mo + I didn't look but I'd imagine that's the age due to weaning etc.

Your thinking is exactly tge same as mine but dh is in the background tellingme to buy it and it'll work well confused hmmm...

Thanks!

Feminine Fri 29-Mar-13 09:49:12

Honestly, if your baby is 6+ it won't hurt.

smile

amatuermummy Fri 29-Mar-13 09:50:22

I've switched my 4 month old onto hungrier baby milk (cow and gate) as he couldn't take more than around 6oz at each feed and was hungry every hour. I started it around 2 weeks ago and he's slept through ever since. It may have been a coincidence, but it seemed to work for him with no adverse effects.

MimmeeBack Fri 29-Mar-13 09:50:30

Gave my DD awful tummy ache and she slept less. And the smell of that formula made me feel sick grin

41notTrendy Fri 29-Mar-13 09:54:08

Ds had some of this from about 7 months. Made no difference to his sleep.

mouseymummy Fri 29-Mar-13 09:56:31

Sorry x posted!! Dd is 6 mo and is having 2 meals a day, she loves her food but not her sleep!!

She has a nap at 10 til 1130 and then dinner, then from two til around 4 and then she's in bed at 8 and a dream feed at around 11/12 then another feed at 5 am. I wouldn't mind her dropping the dream feed tbh

mouseymummy Fri 29-Mar-13 09:58:15

Amateur, shes been on hungry baby since 3 months old, she was draining an 8 oz bottle every 2 hrs and it was costing me abbloody fortune!!

GlaikitHasHerFizzBack Fri 29-Mar-13 10:05:45

That sound about average for a 6mo ime. Ds had a dream feed around 11 then was up at sixish for another feed. I wouldn't be dropping the dream feed, I would probably ly try to shorten the afternoon nap too.

seeker Fri 29-Mar-13 10:08:36

That's normal for a 6 month old, I'm afraid. She's a baby- that's what they do!

mouseymummy Fri 29-Mar-13 10:10:24

Glaikit, I've tried shortening the nap but if I do she's knackered n a little monkey!! She gets so very grumpy if I do!

MrsDeVere Fri 29-Mar-13 10:14:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GlaikitHasHerFizzBack Fri 29-Mar-13 10:14:59

Try to bring bedtime forward then, if you shorten the afternoon nap. Start bath etc around 6 so she isn't overtired. Remember the clocks go forward this weekend so you are now looking at 9pm for bedtime. This is something you need to ride out.

This too shall pass! smile

Nicolaeus Fri 29-Mar-13 10:15:13

I live in France and when weaning DS had real problems finding baby rice/cereals that were for bowls and not bottles!

Even now at 18months I'm expected to give him a bottle with cereals in....DS has weetabix and then nicks my toast grin

PacificDogwood Fri 29-Mar-13 10:16:41

Your DD sleep sound totally normal for me.

The reasoning behind 'hungy baby' milks is that they contain more harder to digest stuff. Never really appealed to me tbh, but I did try in desperation grin - zilch effect other than constipation...

I suppose as ever, every baby is different.

tiktok Fri 29-Mar-13 10:17:46

If you are talking about the 'goodnight' milk, they cannot claim it makes babies sleep through. However, sneaky branding, packaging and sloganising strongly suggest it can do...without a scrap of evidence that this is true.

Most 6 mth old babies don't sleep through the night. Your baby's pattern of naps and sleeps sounds 100 per cent normal smile

enormouse Fri 29-Mar-13 10:17:53

I tried this too, when DS was about 10 months. He preferred the taste of it to other formulas I tried but it made no difference to his sleep. The only thing that worked was his eating really taking off a month later and being given a better bed time routine. He's slept through since. I don't think there's a magic formula basically. (Sorry, I wish there was!)

TheonlyWayisGerard Fri 29-Mar-13 10:19:52

In my experience, nothing like that works. Just made DD uncomfortable, I guess it made her feel bloated. Your baby's sleep sounds fine, 11-5 is really good. DD finally slept through at 18 months, despite trying most things!

SaltaKatten Fri 29-Mar-13 10:20:15

She sounds like a good sleeper to me, but all babies are different. Personally I don't like the idea of giving a baby something that is hard for them to digest, but that is just my opinion.
Could you get your dh to bring her to you in bed to feed for the 5am feed sometimes and then he can take care of her so you get a few more hours to sleep?

CloudsAndTrees Fri 29-Mar-13 10:23:03

It's a marketing ploy, and it's wrong that formula companies can legally do that. If they want to say their milk has more cereals in it, then fine if that's the truth. But the fact that they prey on sleep deprived new mothers with promises of sleep is just plain irresponsible.

MrsDeVere Fri 29-Mar-13 10:23:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mouseymummy Fri 29-Mar-13 10:34:02

So general consensus is no... I didn't think it would work!! I'm glad to hear her sleeping seems normal too!!

Dh is really poorly atm (bordering on hospital admission but that's a whole other thread!!) and I'm having to get up to get the bottle and this means bringing dd with me as she will shout until I'm back and that wakes the whole house up!!

I just wish she'd go back to sleep in the morning but mummy is far too much fun!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now