Talk

Advanced search

To think that water is a basic human right & should not be for profit

(25 Posts)
notnagging Fri 29-Mar-13 07:09:38

My water provider tried to increase my direct debit to £120 a month. When I complained they reduced it down to £70. Made me think how many other people do they unfairly do this too?!
There is a European petition here.smile
http://www.right2water.eu/

LindyHemming Fri 29-Mar-13 07:20:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Isityouorme Fri 29-Mar-13 07:29:27

I think we pay about £350 a year .... Greedy bastards.

redlac Fri 29-Mar-13 07:30:22

Move to Scotland! One water company, paid alongside your council tax, dirt cheap and we have lts and lots of it

That will be wee Ecks next plan - water pipeline to south England after the oil runs out

HollyBerryBush Fri 29-Mar-13 07:31:52

YANBU to assume water is a basic human right but your payment is for it to be obtained, cleaned piped and the waste removed, so all you can do is dig your own well in the back garden, get your own purification tablets, pump your bath water into the garden and hope it doesn't affect your clean water supply and turn your poo into fertiliser grin

DragonMamma Fri 29-Mar-13 07:33:53

Water and waste charges are set based on the RV of the property (for un-metered) and they shouldn't be able to offer a reduction. Big house equals higher RV.

I worked for the only not for profit water company in the UK and any money we did make was ploughed back in to the business to improve the water and sewerage network. We also had a number of schemes to help people on low wages as well as discounts for people with certain conditions which may require more water.

It may be a basic human right but it's not cheap to get drinkable water to you, monitor and repair the thousand of leaks and then take away and treat sewage.

complexnumber Fri 29-Mar-13 07:39:16

"I worked for the only not for profit water company in the UK and any money we did make was ploughed back in to the business to improve the water and sewerage network. We also had a number of schemes to help people on low wages as well as discounts for people with certain conditions which may require more water." DragonMamma

They sound great! I think you should name them to give them some well deserved praise.

notnagging Fri 29-Mar-13 08:10:14

Yes they do sound greatgrin
France have already managed to get back contracts in 7 cities with the profits used to reduce water bills by 8% so far.

DragonMamma Fri 29-Mar-13 20:51:02

complex it's the only water company in Wales - Dwr Cymru Welsh Water. The MD is a great man who raised the funds to buy the company with a colleague to stop it falling in to the hands of people concerned with profit over all else.

thekidsrule Fri 29-Mar-13 22:56:51

yanbu,mine is over £500 a year un-metered

though i also say NONE of the utilities should of ever been made private,as far as the UK is concerned they are basic essentials as she be priced accordingly

ive even heard somebody moan about their gas/electric bill and they have blardy shares in the company shock they really thought they were jstified in theur rant

hasten to say i didnt

thekidsrule Fri 29-Mar-13 22:57:15

dam spelling

LastOrdersAtTheBra Fri 29-Mar-13 23:02:11

Having clean water to drink is a basic human right, the quantity most people in this country use on a daily basis is a luxury and should be paid for as such.

MTSgroupie Fri 29-Mar-13 23:04:03

Food is another basic human right so Sainsbury and Co shouldn't be making a profit either. As for clothes to keep me warm ......

HoHoHoNoYouDont Fri 29-Mar-13 23:04:38

I agree it should be run as a not for profit organisation.

AuntieStella Fri 29-Mar-13 23:05:49

Those who think clean water is a human right might like to support the work of Wateraid who are working to bring basic water supplies and sanitation to millions who still have to live without em.

HesterShaw Fri 29-Mar-13 23:12:23

Euphemia, you pay £30 a year for water????????????????????? shock Where do you live?

SW Water charge us over £500 for water - there are two of us, no garden and no bath.

Bastards.

aldiwhore Fri 29-Mar-13 23:15:57

I think the basic needs in a 1st world country should always and forever be owned BY the country, not privately owned.

I don't see it as a 'right' as such, but a necessity. Food is also, that's true, but it could be argued that a person (in the UK) could actually grow their own, enough to sustain life...? Water is more immediate. I think basic essential food already is protected isn't it as regards how much it can be taxed? Grain prices have shot up thanks to shitey weather, but it's still affordable, DH makes his own bread (he likes to) and it is very cheap, but still more expensive than ever. Although it's a valid argument, because of course our five day shouldn't be free... should it?

Our water charges have shot up, our service has got worse... for me, private or public that difference is the important factor. I don't mind paying, I willingly pay, I believe some of what I earn should go towards sewage, clean drinking water etc., but our service has really gone downhill and quite drastically. As a bill payer, that doesn't seem right and there's naff all we can do about it, and that is what is wrong. Inflation is one thing, raw sewage on your drive that isn't due to anything you've done, and having to pay over the rate of inflation for it isn't fair.

Ideally, food, water, basic heat (ie survivable) and basic shelter (same) should all be provided by the state via taxes (before anything else) for each individual... and historically those terms have been pretty much met on the whole, for the individual. But it does rankle when a private company that provide necessary things declares crazy profits, pays as little tax as they can (not their fault, gov fault) and people's services decreases noticeably whilst bills rise and income falls. Something wrong there whichever side of whichever fence you dwell on.

midastouch Fri 29-Mar-13 23:45:10

We pay about £900 a year on a meter for water, 2 adults, 2 DCs. DP blames me and my hand washing and cleaning... he may be right. Its not fair its the bill we're really struggling with!

WilsonFrickett Sat 30-Mar-13 00:59:45

Of course drinking water is a human right, but so is a roof over your head, heating, lighting... Where does it end?

The older I get the more I realise the privitisation of the utility companies was truly one of the worst things that ever happened to this country. Profit above people, cheers Maggie.

cantspel Sat 30-Mar-13 01:07:42

If they reduced your DD you must be on a metre so if you want to cut the cost of it dont use so much.

cheerfulweather Sat 30-Mar-13 01:10:38

Ours is £560 a year. Yanbu

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 30-Mar-13 01:19:14

Yanbu. But if you are metered every single water company has a social tarrif.

Its available to people on certain benefits or those with medical conditions that require the use of more water,the bill gets restricted to a set sum each year off the top of my head this years figure is about £430 that does not mean your bill will automaticly be that amount so if you use less your bill will be less it just means you bill cannot go above that amount no matter how much you use.

notnagging Sun 31-Mar-13 07:40:13

Auntiestella- I do support wateraid. It was the diarrhoea advert that got mesad

Fairylea Sun 31-Mar-13 07:41:58

Ours is £68 a month ... me dh dd aged 10 and ds 10 months. It's ridiculously expensive. We live in Norfolk.

LindyHemming Sun 31-Mar-13 07:47:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now