Talk

Advanced search

To seriously worry about the state of social services when they make mistakes like this!

(14 Posts)
ProtegeMoi Thu 28-Mar-13 21:49:37

I am in a same sex relationship and me and my partner have a child conceived via a sperm donor. We are currently going through the long process of my partner adopting our child to give us equal rights and as part of this social services visit us and make a report to the court as to what they feel is in the child's best interest etc.

We have just recieved a copy of this report and as well as stating that our child was conceived via a MALE egg donor (wtf?) they have also copied my date of birth (from my birth certificate) wrong and made me 18 years older than I am.

This is the report that has already gone to the judge so I have spent all day making phone calls trying to correct this and now everything has to be out on hold and the visits made again.

What hope do children in care have when a social worker can't work out that men produce sperm not eggs and copy a 6 digit number correctly!

LaurieFairyCake Thu 28-Mar-13 21:51:53

There's always loads of typing errors in the reports I get.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 28-Mar-13 21:52:11

It's not really indicative of SS though grin

AudrinaAdare Thu 28-Mar-13 21:55:02

I have a load of DS' reports from his paed which refers to, "Mum", as they do. They are addressed to Mr AudrinaAdare.

ProtegeMoi Thu 28-Mar-13 22:02:00

A typing error, its not like an odd letter or single number. It's a completely wrong date of birth and saying male egg donor, a physical impossibility.

A legal document that is submitted to a judge with such big mistakes? This is the actual adoption order we are talking about, a report that stays on file forever.

ProtegeMoi Thu 28-Mar-13 22:04:20

I suppose I'm just really fucked off that its gonna take even longer now, this is the 99999999999th delay now and what they told us was a simple 4 month process has gone on for 10 months already and just as the end is in sight this happens.

HerrenaHarridan Thu 28-Mar-13 22:08:01

You've got to laugh though its that or cry, let's be generous and say the person writing that report was having some personal issues.

In a serious note my experience of social workers covers both ends of the spectrum, jobsworths who are downright dangerous to one in particular utterly dedicated who I know for a fact regularly worked 19 hour days. She was a saint smile

MrsRajeshKoothrappali Thu 28-Mar-13 22:10:19

I wouldn't trust Social Services with a lasagne.

Sorry they're being a PITA.

Good luck with everything though!

brew

TroublesomeEx Thu 28-Mar-13 22:14:42

An Initial Assessment was undertaken of both of my children last year (for a safeguarding issue not related to me or their dad).

The reports both contained inaccuracies and made assumptions about all sorts of things based on our professions that they hadn't clarified.

Because it was irrelevant; the report concluded that we were appropriately safeguarding the children and the case was closed, and none of the errors were especially important, we didn't challenge them.

I can't imagine how frustrating this must be for you both when it should just be quite straightforward. The adoption order needs to be accurate otherwise it makes a mockery of the whole process. What's the point in recording the info if it's not going to be recorded accurately!

crashdoll Thu 28-Mar-13 22:17:18

I do like how people talk about 'Social Services' as if they are one entity. Anyway, on a similar note, my consultant rheumatologist told me that women may find their periods irregular on my medication. I had to bite my tongue not to ask about the regularity of men's periods on that particular medication.

AudrinaAdare Thu 28-Mar-13 22:31:00

Sorry OP, that is very bad.

ProtegeMoi Thu 28-Mar-13 22:31:23

It's not just the fact it will be recorded inaccurately folkgirl, one if the first things I will be asked to do at the court hearing is confirm my name, address and date of birth.

As it dosnt match the report the case will be immediately thrown out.

Sharptic Thu 28-Mar-13 22:37:35

Thats crap, but surely it was the admin staff who made a mistake and not ss?

I used to work for the local authority in admin, you could be moved within different departments and left to get on with it, social services or otherwise the admin staff are paid and treated the same, training and accountability was non existent.

ProtegeMoi Thu 28-Mar-13 22:42:13

Technically it was the cafcass officer who signed the report that's at fault, but yeah proberly admin person who actually typed it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now