Talk

Advanced search

To be too scared to go to sleep

(22 Posts)
LadyApricot Thu 28-Mar-13 20:59:12

My 2 yr old dd was admitted to hospital on tuesday and we were very close to losing her after a virus turned out extremely nasty.
Suddenly today they discharge her saying I can be doctor now. She's slept all day pretty much since getting home. I am shattered-I haven't slept much since Sunday when it started!
Now I'm too scared to go to sleep in case I don't hear her or she gets worse and I don't know because I'm zonked out in bed! sad
I'm so so grateful she's getting better and feeling so many emotions at the moment!

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 28-Mar-13 21:02:32

Would co-sleeping make you more or less anxious? I do that when DD is ill and I'm worried.

Sorry things are rough at the moment. thanks

Mumsyblouse Thu 28-Mar-13 21:03:36

You poor thing, this sounds extremely traumatic all round. Can you move her to sleep in your double bed for a night or two, just to keep an eye on her? I'm sure that they only discharged her when she was well enough, but equally as a mum I would feel the same as you, so I might try to move her into my bed or sleep in her room if that is possible. Also, do you have an old baby monitor in the house, you could put that by her as well.

Hope you all get a good night's sleep.

MagicHouse Thu 28-Mar-13 21:03:54

You poor thing - that sounds like a nightmare. If you at all concerned about her then I wouldn't hesitate to phone the ward you were on for advice (I've always been told that in the past). Can you sleep next to her tonight?

PacificDogwood Thu 28-Mar-13 21:06:46

How awful for you all.

I'd certainly sleep with her - not in the same bed if you'd rather not (I did, mind), but in the same room. Mattress on the floor? Or share a double bed with her?

Children can get so ill so scarily fast, but otoh they can amaze you with their ability to bounce back. And sleeping is one the ways in which they recover.
You need some sleep to be able to keep up with the when she is well again and full of energy smile.

I hope she is back to normal v soon x.

Mumsyblouse Thu 28-Mar-13 21:07:58

And- as MagicHouse says, if you have any worries whatsoever, do phone the ward, don't hesitate to ask if you have any further concerns or just need reassurance. Is anyone else there with you?

VerySmallSqueak Thu 28-Mar-13 21:10:13

I would also sleep in her room with her.

Make sure you have plenty of covers if you aren't in a bed so you don't get too cold,and try to get some sleep.

Chrysanthemum5 Thu 28-Mar-13 21:11:51

I aways co sleep with the DCs if they are ill, but I understand you may feel too tired for that to be safe. So, can you sleep on the floor in the room?

Children go down fast when ill, but they bounce back at an incredible speed. Don't hesitate to call the hospital if you're worried, but try to get some sleep.

Best wishes

lisad123everybodydancenow Thu 28-Mar-13 21:16:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HungryClocksGoBackFourSeconds Thu 28-Mar-13 21:18:15

I agree with the co-sleeping idea. I do that all the time with my DD anyway.

HungryClocksGoBackFourSeconds Thu 28-Mar-13 21:18:24

(Who is the same age)

AgentZigzag Thu 28-Mar-13 21:21:56

Aww, poor little mite, and poor you.

Very scary shit.

I'd keep her close too and either in with you or you in with her.

Or have you still got a baby monitor kicking about? Turned up to the max it might give you a bit of reassurance?

<hug>

PacificDogwood Thu 28-Mar-13 21:22:34

Where you happy to have her home?
I mean, of course you are happy to have her home, but were you comfortable for her to be discharged?

I am just asking because you say in your OP 'they discharged her saying I can be doctor now'. Made me wonder whether you feel that she has been discharged too early??

Have you been given open access to the ward for the next 24/48 hours as is common practice in a lot of units? Certainly don't hesitate to phone for advice or take her back in if you are at all unsure about how she seems to be.

Lueji Thu 28-Mar-13 21:26:33

I agree. I always tend to sleep with poorly DS.
That way, I can quickly check on him without getting too tired.
And he is happier because he's next to mummy too. smile

LadyApricot Thu 28-Mar-13 21:40:53

Thanks so much everyone I feel a lot better having some mumsnet support! I'm going to sleep in her room on the floor smile
I think she was discharged at the right time, it just seemed such a shock that it was only a couple of days ago that she was being rushed in!
I keep thinking about all the children I saw there and how their parents are feeling the same as I did and getting all upset! Tired and emotional I think smile
Thanks again everyone x

PacificDogwood Thu 28-Mar-13 21:54:27

Aw, I hope you both get a really good night's sleep and that tomorrow will be a Good Day smile

LadyApricot Fri 29-Mar-13 02:54:30

Thanks smile

tvmum1976 Fri 29-Mar-13 04:11:10

poor you. that sounds terrible. Hope you both get a good night's sleep and she is much better in the morning. I truly belive the hospital wouldn't have discharged her if she wasn't ready to go home. Good luck OP.

OneLieIn Fri 29-Mar-13 05:35:45

Hope you get some rest, co-sleep?thanks

ExasperatedSigh Fri 29-Mar-13 05:44:35

What a frightening time for you all. Hope you're both fast asleep at the moment and your little DD is back to full health very soon.

HildaOgden Fri 29-Mar-13 05:52:14

Kids seem to bounce back quicker than adults,she'll be more comfortable in her own surroundings (and won't pick up any nasty bugs at home either).Is there anyone who can watch her for a couple of hours today so you can 'clock off' for a good nap?

Sirzy Fri 29-Mar-13 06:55:16

Hope you managed to get some sleep.

I always find the first few days after DS has come out of hopsital hard because they are still ill, just not ill enough for hospital, and you no longer have that security of nurses on hand. Add that to hospital sleep deprivation and it's a tough few days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now