Talk

Advanced search

to think the dentist shouldnt have tried.

(45 Posts)
wonderingsoul Thu 28-Mar-13 17:05:11

im in pain so this could be why i think my dentist is a twat.
monday i had tooth ach, by money night i was in tears and had got a 4 hours sleeps, i phoned my dentist for an emergency apoinmenton the tuesday couldnt been seen till wednesday. so i fill up on pain killers but its the worsst night, i got two hours sleep the rest was filled with walking around.

wednesday my face was swollen a bit, get to the dentist, who i dont normally have, i tell him iv had little sleep in lots of pain and im scared of dentists so could he please pre warn me about anything he does, as it helps me.

had xray, told it was infected, which i knew any way. he says the tooth has to come out but the ancisetic doesnt allways work with an infection but he has to try. he injects right into the tooth. i cant help buy make noise as it was incredibly painfull. he asks if i want another go at it , i said id rather just take the anit bs and come back when its not infected.

an hour after coming out my face has swollen all on the right side, up to my eyes/ it hasnt got better so i went to my gp who has given me another anti bs to take along side of his but if it doesnt improve or gets worse in the next 24/48 hours i have to go to AnE.

im really woeing, in so much pain, though i have found tablets that have killed the tooth pain quite a bit. my face still hurts and my stomach is not enjoying the tablets i dont think.

i cant help but think that the dentist shouldnt have even mentioned taking the tooth out whilst there was infection there. iv phoned them and said i want to see a different dentist for when i do have it taken out but they have said they have to phone back as they like you to stay with the same one. he wasnt helpfull and really didnt have a good "bed side" manner as it was.

vertex Thu 28-Mar-13 17:41:29

Okay, is there a dental hospital or dental school anywhere nearby you. If so, give them a call explain the situation and they will help; there are different forms of sedation that can be utilised prior to an extraction and depending on the nature of the infection it may well be that the tooth itself could be saved, i.e. root canal to clean out all the roots and then ultimately crowned.

What painkillers are you taking ? If they are NSAID, e.g. ibuprofen, then taking them with a glass of milk may help. You can also go to pharmacist and chat to them about motilium or an equivalent depending what type of antibiotics you are on, e.g. amoxicillin etc.

Good Luck

p.s. Using TCP as a mouthwash diluted in a ratio of 3 tablespoons of water to every 1 tablespoon of mouthwash can also help (breath will not be the best but doubt you care about that at the moment)

wonderingsoul Thu 28-Mar-13 18:07:16

im on amoxicillion and metronidazole 400. with nurphone plus for pain. i shall try the pharmacy tomorrow and see what they suggest

thanks for the ttcp tip, defiantly worth a shot.
we dont have any dental schools near us, our small hospital has dental care but apparently its only for the disabled? as i did try there as well and they wouldnt see me.

thank you for the kind words and tips. just feel so out of it and zombified its hard to think straight. hoping two dc will go to bed nicely so i can try n sleep.

thank you x

Arion Thu 28-Mar-13 18:15:32

An abcess doesn't automatically mean an extraction, a root canal should save the tooth. My dentist recommended Corsodyl when I had an abcess. Also, try and prop yourself up at night as much as possible (I managed to get some sleep propped up on 4 pillows, so I was really sitting upright with my head just to the side).

vertex Thu 28-Mar-13 18:45:26

Neurofen plus contains ibuprofen and codeine which may explain your upset stomach. Furthermore, the antibiotic combination is one that people also, occassionally, comment on as not agreeing with their digestive system.

As far as I am aware you should be safe to take motilium as it does interact with any of the above but PLEASE double check with pharmacist (is there no way you can get to a late night pharmacy tonight ?)

Gigondas Thu 28-Mar-13 18:48:11

An infection and metronidazole together will make you feel vile- like worst possible hangover and very upset stomach.

If you have been in that much pain go to a and e cos you can't carry on like this.

Pigsmummy Thu 28-Mar-13 18:52:59

I had my jaw broken during an extraction, (not found out until weeks later) the only pain relief that I could find was "paramol", give it a try?

AuntieMaggie Thu 28-Mar-13 19:07:37

Put a hot water bottle against the side of your face - i led on it and the combo of the pressure and heat made it a bit numb.

Also swill your mouth with hot salt water.

If you get to the chemist ask the pharmacist about other painkillers and maybe a tooth gel?

I assume the dentist tried to take it out because of what he saw on the xray.

Willdoitinaminute Thu 28-Mar-13 19:11:18

Try 600mg of ibuprofen ( plain cheap stuff) every 6 hours then alternate with over the counter cocodamol so that as the ibuprofen wears off you boost with cocodamol.
The swelling probably has nothing to do with attempted treatment it is just the natural progression of the abscess and is the bodies/ immune systems way of ridding the body of bacteria. Antibiotics will take 24 - 48 hrs to really kick in.
Root canal is not always possible or suitable for every tooth. It is worth discussion with dentist though.

wonderingsoul Thu 28-Mar-13 19:49:13

pigsmummy shock broke your jaw? wow. that must have been really painfull. how did they manage to break your jaw?

i cant get one to night, the only one open now is tesco which i a fair walk awalk, im a lone parent and itd casue more hassel trying to get both kids up there with me, my mum who is looked after me yesterday and today is tired from taking kids to school and trying to entertain the kids when i was in docs dentist etc. so i dont feel i can ask her, bless her shes done a lot for me as it is. but i shall go tomorrow, .. yes iv done the salt thing, it does help, mentally i feel liek its helping and it'll keep the infection clean i suppose?

the tooth is broken, its a front one. i will ask about any other options then taking it out. hopfully a new one will explain it better.

your right it prob would have swelled up more, the injection seemed so pointless esp when he said it prob wouldnt work any way, why aggrivate it more then needed. i always though you had to wait for infection to clear up before they would do anything.

vertex Fri 29-Mar-13 17:02:54

OP how are you doing ?

manticlimactic Fri 29-Mar-13 17:12:52

My dentist won't touch a tooth that's infected. I remember begging him to yank one out when I was dying from the pain.

MammaTJ Fri 29-Mar-13 17:21:57

The hospital near us that does dental treatment is not for just disabled people, it is for people who have a genuine phobia of dentists, like me.

I have been there are had a tooth out and a filling. I had gas and air for the treatment. They are wonderful and patient, because they allow more time for appointments.

You do have to be refered by your own dentists though but it is well worth the trouble and the wait.

They call it the dental access centre.

AFAIK they are not meant to try to take a tooth out when infected anyway. Arion, nice idea, but when you are phobic, een the most basic treatment is hard to deal with. I struggle to allow them to examine me.

HildaOgden Fri 29-Mar-13 17:40:09

God love you,toothache has to be one of the worst pains ever sad.I thought a dentist wouldn't be allowed to take an infected tooth out,something about the infection spreading to bloodstream?I could be wrong on that though.

Second the hot water bottle suggestion,hope you feel better soon.

MrsMorton Fri 29-Mar-13 19:31:06

It's perfectly reasonable to take out a tooth that has an infection; it's the quickest and most reliable way to get rid of the problem. If the pulp of the tooth is infected then antibiotics will make no difference (other than placebo). Hilda that is entirely incorrect information I'm afraid.

OP, what are you doing now? Have you called NHS direct or whatever it is now?

ukatlast Fri 29-Mar-13 19:52:34

OP in your shoes, I would find a reputable private dentist so that:
a. they could consider whether the tooth can in fact be saved with a root canal and crown - or if not extraction and implant

b. they would have time to put you at ease, try multiple advanced injection techniques rather telling you upfront a single injection probably won't work

c. so you could have sedation (oral/ i/v sedation/conscious sedation like nitrous oxide etc)....if the worst came to the worst and you still could not get numb

Swelling can be serious and you should not ignore it but if you can afford it, treat yourself to a competent dentist of your choice, rather than just the one your NHS practice deems you must see.
Having control over who your dentist is, coupled with this person being experienced and competent and unrushed, will go a long way to reducing your dental phobia. Good luck.

funkybuddah Fri 29-Mar-13 20:03:34

I had something similar a couple of months ago, the pain was awful and relelntless. I can only echo hot waterbottle and pain killers.

My dentist gave me anti b's and said if it was stillpainfull he would have to remove the tooth, it was and he did and Im so pleased he did.

You have my sympathies, it really is the worst

Allalonenow Fri 29-Mar-13 20:19:30

It is an old wives tale that a tooth with an infection cannot be extracted.

As you are taking metronidazole do not on any account be tempted to drink alcohol to numb the pain, as the combination will make you very sick.

Sycamor Fri 29-Mar-13 20:24:26

Ukatlast. Would just like to state there are many competent caring NHS dentists you can see. Paying privately guarantees you spend more money, not that you get better care!

poppypebble Fri 29-Mar-13 20:27:15

I've had an infected tooth out. Had to have lots of the local anaesthetic before it worked but they did it there and then. There was no way I'd have gone home from the dentist in the same amount of pain I went in. I could have had root canal but I wasn't bothering with that when I just wanted the pain gone. It wasn't a front tooth though.

peanutintheoven Fri 29-Mar-13 20:36:52

Whatever you do, please do not put a hot water bottle on your face. Terrible advice which will almost certainly make the swelling worse.

The dentist was acting entirely appropriately from the information you have given. The only way to get rid of an abcess/infection is to remove the source of the infection which means to extract the tooth or remove the pulp (nerve) from the tooth. Yes it's more difficult to anaesthetise the area but the dentist is obliged to try. There is no contraindication to giving injections of local anaesthetic when there is an infection.
Just giving antibiotics is not the answer and dentists who just give antibiotics rather than treating the cause are usually doing so because of time constraints.

MrsMorton Fri 29-Mar-13 20:48:46

What peanut said.

ukatlast Fri 29-Mar-13 20:53:38

Sycamor - that may very well be the case but as OP found she had no choice in who she saw, they did not give her a same-day appointment even though she was in pain...etc etc ...in her shoes, she wants a painfree second appointment and that will be more easily obtainable with an ethical experienced private dentist who offers sedation (should she need it).
The private dentist wants her 'repeat business' and recommendations to her friends. The NHS dentist has many other patients demanding his time and therefore it is no loss if a single patient is less than satisfied and goes elsewhere.
Years of experience of NHS and private dental care have taught me that all dentists are not equal and that patients need to protect themselves by being careful where they go rather than accepting just any old dentist (NHS or private).

digerd Fri 29-Mar-13 21:03:22

You are right. I am quite old and have had many infected teeth. ALWAYS I have been given ABs first, as they will not take an infected tooth out as it could keep bleeding and not clot.

My dentists always give metronidazole as 1st choice, but when I took them, I had awful sea sickness feeling and walked around holding my stomach. They are known to do that to many people. I took them for 5 days, and lost weight for another 5 days after the course ended. < half a stone>. They are now on my allergic list and refuse to ever take them again.

MrsMorton Fri 29-Mar-13 21:12:40

digerd it's lazy dentistry to always prescribe ABs. Fact.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: