Talk

Advanced search

to quit this job already?

(12 Posts)
snowsnowgoaway Wed 27-Mar-13 10:25:58

Long time member, serial name changer

My DH earns a very good wage so for the last 2 years I have been a housewife which isn't easy as the house is big and requires a lot of cleaning but in the last few months have started up my own business.

We often go to the local pub/restaurant for a few drinks or a meal and have become "regulars". The manager came to me a few weeks ago and said there was a job going if I was interested so I said sure, came for an interview and got the job. The position available was for bar associate. However, for 2 weeks now I have been on the floor, collecting glasses, handing out food and wiping tables. This means a LOT of interacting with the customers (who are 80% regulars).

Working on the floor poses a few problems for me;
1. I can't carry the hot plates as I burn my hands.
2. I can't carry more than one plate at a time as I am seriously weak.
3. The regulars think it's OK to take the piss outta me and make comments on my appearance, resulting in tears once.

There is NOTHING to do half the time and more than once I have been sent home as it was SO quiet and I was literally wandering round collecting one glass every 15 mins or so and no food on order.

The duty manager is a bit of a cock, keeps trying to take pictures of me to send to his "jealous girlfriend" (who lives about 5 hours away). He constantly tells me to "find some work to do, stop being lazy" when there is literally nothing to do at all. Despite it all being friendly and chatty when I was a customer, no staff talks to me yet often jokes amongst themselves. It feels like school again and I am being left out sad. No mention of bar training has been had.

I really dislike going and start today in an hour and am dreading it. I am running my own business and applying for the OU so with this job I feel like there isn't enough hours in the day. You don't have set hours every week so can't plan anything in advance. As mentioned before, we don't need the wage so won't miss it if I give it up. I keep thinking if someone is desperate for a job and theres me hating it and I feel really guilty. Should I just quit now? Quit in 4 week, which will be the end of my trial? See how it goes? Any advice welcome!

Mapal Wed 27-Mar-13 10:29:00

What are your reasons for staying in the job? I can't see one reason to stay but loads to leave. I would quit - life is too short.

greenfolder Wed 27-Mar-13 10:30:00

good heavens woman- quit!

this is casual bar work- if it had suited might have been a nice little job, but it doesnt suit you at all.

pop down and tell them it hasnt really worked out for you and wish them the best, they will hardly be pushed to do without you or find a replacement.

NatashaBee Wed 27-Mar-13 10:31:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Poppet48 Wed 27-Mar-13 10:31:43

It's a difficult one, on one hand YABU because the excuses you use about not being able to do the job properly could be seen by the manager as you just being lazy - sorry it does.

YANBU to leave if you don't want/need the job because there will be someone out there who would jump at the opportunity of having a job.

So, really it's up to how you feel about leaving.

EasterBunnyLebowski Wed 27-Mar-13 10:34:44

If you don't need the money, quit.

I say this as someone who worked in a bar for 3 years till last year when DP started earning 3x his previous salary which allowed me to quit work.

There was so much I hated about the job. Dickhead customers, late nights, the physical toll, like you I couldn't carry 3 plates so was a crappy waitress.

Don't miss it at all! Quit!

WilsonFrickett Wed 27-Mar-13 10:35:01

I dunno how friendly I'd be being to a new starter who has been employed because the manager seems to have a bit of thing for her (which obviously isn't your fault OP), and who can't carry more than one plate at a time, and who gets sore burny fingers from the plates, and who doesn't like chatting to customers.

I think you should leave too. This isn't the job for you.

snowsnowgoaway Wed 27-Mar-13 10:49:44

I do chat to the customers but there is a few who are dickheads to be honest! I hadn't considered the manager "having a thing for me" but if that is the case, I would definitely leave.

I have never complained about the plates and neither has anyone else but when there is 4 to a table and I can only carry 1 plate at a time I feel a right tit running back to the kitchen and making 4 trips (which I don't mind) but I feel the customer does if they are waiting for everyone before they start their meal. I was approached for bar work because it is something I can do, if I had been approached for floor work I would have politely declined. The manager accused me of being "lazy" as he often does to everyone else because I was stood looking round the restaurant for things to do.

FrancesHouseman Wed 27-Mar-13 10:54:26

Quit now. Explain that you thought you'd be doing bar work and your reasons for not being able to do the floor work. It all sounds like a chore that you don't need right now. If it were me I'd have quit when the manager took my photo for the first time.

itshothere Wed 27-Mar-13 11:43:38

If you don't need the money then you work 'for fun'. This doesn't sound like fun at all. Find other more enjoyable things to do with your time. Leave immediately, why stress when you don't need to? I wouldn't smile .

LessMissAbs Wed 27-Mar-13 11:57:18

Its easy to quit jobs because they challenge you. Sticking it will fill in a gap on your cv if nothing else, if you ever want to look for a better job. Your comments sound a bit childish at times, if you don't mind me saying. Your house is big and requires a lot of cleaning, you are too "weak" to carry more than one plate at a time, you resorted to tears, you are being left out...is it possible that you have been out of the workplace so long that you have lost some of your adult social skills and this is what this job is really challenging? In which case quitting it won't help you do anything but stay where you are right now. Which seems to be staying in your big house, cleaning it, running your business and doing an Open University course, which is all quite nice, but kind of removed from social interaction with other people.

AngiBolen Wed 27-Mar-13 12:01:18

I have no idea why you are still working there. It sounds horrendous, and as you say, you don't need the money. confused

Quit, and focus on your own business.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now