Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KittyAndTheFontanelles Tue 26-Mar-13 21:42:24

YABU to call it soccer grin

Maryz Tue 26-Mar-13 21:44:28

buggerama Tue 26-Mar-13 21:45:40

DorcasDelIcatessen Tue 26-Mar-13 21:48:00

My family in Ireland call it Soccer. Always have. Dunno if OP is Irish or in Ireland though. Shrugs.

LinusVanPelt Tue 26-Mar-13 21:48:37

In much of Ireland 'football' means Gaelic football. Perfectly fine to call that other game, soccer!

KittyAndTheFontanelles Tue 26-Mar-13 21:48:49

It's football grin

Wants4 Tue 26-Mar-13 21:50:25

Soccer - Americanism.
But as we have another game in Ireland also called football, the term soccer is used to differentiate the two.

KittyAndTheFontanelles Tue 26-Mar-13 21:50:33

I'm aware of that Linus. Still unreasonable grin

Sorry if you are getting thwacked Maryz. Ireland that is, not you yourself.

Hassled Tue 26-Mar-13 21:51:15

Weird - just had a phone conversation with a family member who referred to football as soccer - had completely forgotten that's what the Irish call it.
Mary - over here it's football. People know what you mean when you say soccer, but they never use the word.

Hassled Tue 26-Mar-13 21:51:47

2-2
Come on you soccer players!

Maryz Tue 26-Mar-13 21:52:19

DorcasDelIcatessen Tue 26-Mar-13 21:53:07

No one says shit when watching Soccer AM grin I went to the all Ireland finals (twice, yeeears ago in Kerry) so therefore am an expert.

Maryz Tue 26-Mar-13 21:55:53

KobayashiMaru Wed 27-Mar-13 00:34:05

soccer is not an americanism. hmm Its an everywhere-but-the-uk-ism.

SarahStratton Wed 27-Mar-13 00:36:32

That must mean we are wrong then.

<cheerful>

<bloody hate football/soccer/that stupid game>

Just to complicate things.... In most of Munster football = soccer and Gaelic football is called Gaelic.

Took a while to readjust when we moved to the west where football = Gaelic and soccer is that other one grin

The first time I brought the kids to football training I wasn't entirely sure which sport they were going to be playing!

Cailinsalach Wed 27-Mar-13 11:11:15

My sons call it Soccerball just to wind up their English mates. When they have a kickabout at the park they pick it up and run (rugby style) or punch it (Gaelic style) or make up new moves just to confuse their opponents. Occasionally they produce their hurlies and whack the ball just for a laugh.
My sons are just crazy fools....
(I need to get a life....)

Ours are allowed to bring footballs to school and play a game during lunch which they call football but seems to have no specific rules, the objective is to score by hitting the ball at the school wall and anything goes in the attempt to get it there... It's a tarmac school yard and there isn't a child in the school who can get longer than a couple of weeks out of a pair of pants before they get shredded playing this game. Apparently you can get a good sliding tackle going and grab the ball when someone is soloing hmm

Thank Christ for dunnes trackies!

Maryz Wed 27-Mar-13 11:27:58

cjel Wed 27-Mar-13 11:34:41

Soccer is correct.It comes from Association football, as oppose rugby football.
I think english took it on as football but other countries- Ireland and wales stay with rugby and gaelic and soccer.We know what we mean!!

Maryz Wed 27-Mar-13 11:39:12

shamrockbogroll Wed 27-Mar-13 11:47:32

Dorcas,I doubt very much you were at an All-Ireland final in Kerry, as since 1887, only one final was held outside Croke Park, and that was 1947, just sayin ;-)

shamrockbogroll Wed 27-Mar-13 11:48:21

And it was in New York, not Kerry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now