Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to want to see p particular GP?

(16 Posts)
Eliza22 Tue 26-Mar-13 15:31:48

Thing is, have seen one of the male gp's who didn't really make it easy for me to explain my problem and two locums who basically spent my "time" going over what had happened thus far. I came away with a cocktail of tablets that are expensive and have done nothing. That was 10 months ago. I've persevered with the tabs but now think I need reviewing.

At our surgery, you have to ring up at 8am to make an appointment. The phone is always engaged. You carry on ringing, throughout the morning.... engaged. So, today, I drove into town, and went in person to the surgery.

I explained that 8am in the morning is a hideous time for me, though I DO try and am greeted by the "busy signal". I told them that this time is complicated by the fact that I'm trying to get my 12 yr old son (who is disabled) ready for the special school minibus. I also said, I didn't want to have to bring my son to the surgery as i cannot leave him outside the room unattended so, could I possibly have a "school" time appointment, please? The soonest appointment was 24 April at 3.40pm. So, almost a month away, and that was the only appointment they had to offer so I'd have to bring ds with me.

I told the lady, in no uncertain terms that her service was crap. She kept talking over me with her "I'm not able to accommodate that"/let me fit you in with our locum"/I can't give you anything in school hours". I left with nothing and another £28 + prescription for medicines that don't work.

AIBU? She told me it was difficult to find an appointment (in a 5 week period) when I was so ridged on what I needed. I needed an answer from a doctor who knew me and I needed an appointment time which gave me privacy as I didn't have to bring my son with me. A few years ago, I had an anaphylactic shock reaction to a drug prescribed by a GP who didn't know me that well. The surgery later wrote to apologise and blamed busy schedules and staff sickness for the heavy locum useage and the fact that he hadn't seen the allergy information on my file. Since, I'm very keen to see the GP I know and who knows me. Anyway, apparently I ask too much!

Eliza22 Tue 26-Mar-13 15:40:01

Rigid!! Not "ridged" like a crisp! grin

PipkinsPal Tue 26-Mar-13 15:40:35

All consultations should be on computer for any Doctor to see. You most probably would be seen quicker if you were not fussy about which Doctor you see. If you only want to see a specific GP who is known to be popular I'm afraid you must be prepared to wait. Does your surgery do telephone consultations? If you are unhappy with the way your surgery functions perhaps you could find one that works differently and would be more suitable to your needs.

MamaBear17 Tue 26-Mar-13 15:43:20

I always ask not to see a particular doctor because he is a complete and utter arsehole. The nice receptionists at my surgery are always happy to see me. YANBU

Eliza22 Tue 26-Mar-13 15:43:44

Can't change surgery, there's only one, massive surgery for the town.

MamaBear17 Tue 26-Mar-13 15:45:38

I meant 'the nice receptionists are always happy to accommodate me'^ sorry, multi tasking!

butterandbread157 Tue 26-Mar-13 15:45:38

yanbu at all, 24th April till next appt!!!!????

Are there no other surgeries near by that you can transfer to?

I transferred to another surgery when I became pregnant with my first as I knew that my then surgery were awful and I knew I'd be a regular visitor from then on!!

I do have a GP at my surgery that I don't like and was on his hotmail account when I went into see him???!!! grrr

PipkinsPal Tue 26-Mar-13 15:46:54

You must also remember that Receptionists do not make up the rules about patients getting appointments. That is down to Practice policy so it's no good having a go and it's unfair that you blame the Receptionist about "her crap service". Doctor's Receptionists are advised how many patients the Doctor will see and once these are gone, I'm afraid they are gone. Believe me as a Doctor's Receptionist I would love to give more appointments to people who are ill but it is totally out of our hands.

Eliza22 Tue 26-Mar-13 15:54:43

I guess I've been spoiled in the past. Moved here 4 years ago and previously was at a small practice in a village and they always, where possible, tried to accommodate. I only go to the doctor now when I'm desperate because it's such a palava. I don't really think its too unreasonable to want to see someone who knows you. There needs to be some kind of continuity, FFS.

It's just so frustrating the whole "ring at 8am" and you KNOW you can try 4 days on the trot and get an engaged tone. It's snowing here, I wouldn't have made the journey in to town, if I could have gotten through on the bloody phone! grrrrr

Eliza22 Tue 26-Mar-13 16:05:11

Yes, I know it's not her personally but there's one lovely lady who always, always tries to help. It's just the way she says "I'm so sorry, I can't help you, but how about...." This woman just kept shaking her head and saying "No. No. No".

BimbaBirba Tue 26-Mar-13 16:06:42

I don't think you're being unreasonable. You said you'd be ok with "school hours" so that's a pretty large window IMO. I find it ridiculous that you were told the first routine appointment with that GP was a month away but I'm not surprised. It's more or less the same in my surgery. Somehow the system is flawed and surely there'd be scope for improvement.

ramblingmum Tue 26-Mar-13 16:14:17

Slightly off topic but do you know about pre-payment for prescriptions. £29.10 will cover all prescriptions for 3 months or you can pay for the year. See www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/PPC.aspx

greenfolder Tue 26-Mar-13 16:20:53

just a thought- i needed to make an appt yesterday for a medical- first date i was offered was similar to yours because of easter-ummm

however, our surgery is huge, but you can book non urgent appts over the phone after 10, they will look for appts with a specific doctor and they do their absolute best- you can also book online for the next 2 weeks or so and see all availability on each doctor.

this has happened in the last 2 years, following a huge consultation exercise and makes life much easier. if one large surgery can do it, i fail to see how others cant. with my recent appt, it was because i need a 30 min appt so when they called back to say thats the earliest, i genuinely think they have done their best.

MinkyWinky Tue 26-Mar-13 16:27:10

Does your surgery have on online booking system? Ours highlights this on their website.

Eliza22 Tue 26-Mar-13 16:28:12

Rambling mum....thanks, yes I do now. I have applied online and have a number till the card arrives. A kind lady in the queue at the pharmacy told me!

Eliza22 Tue 26-Mar-13 16:44:53

Yes, you can book online but their system is in transition at present (!!!) so not available. Hence....the bloomin' phone is ALWAYS ENGAGED!

Greenfolder she said that each morning, at the magic time of 8am, they have a specific number of appointments available for that day's surgery. If you cannot get through (and she accepts, it is virtually impossible) then you don't get an appointment. The next option is to ring and just book the next available one (24th April, in my case). Perhaps, the system overhaul the receptionist alluded to is one which will allow better the present system. I don't think it could be much worse. It is a shambles and overworked to bursting in every way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now