Talk

Advanced search

To think my heating oil has been stolen?

(44 Posts)
zzzzz Tue 26-Mar-13 15:19:57

£840 worth put in tank in Feb.

No oil in tank now and someone seems to have rammed our front gates???? Nothing else missing and we are here 95% of the time, so how the gate thing has happened I can't imagine.

Dh says we could have burned the oil, but how? We did have heating on continuously for most 2 weeks but surely that wouldn't bur that amount.

And what has happened to me gate?? It was open!

specialsubject Tue 26-Mar-13 15:23:46

Hmm... we've used about £350 worth in eight weeks, five hours or so of heating a day plus a tank of hot water. Very old and inefficient boiler.

if you also have an old boiler then maybe you have used it, but it does look like you've been siphoned. Or there is a leak.

Pandemoniaa Tue 26-Mar-13 15:24:51

There have been several thefts of heating oil round here over the last couple of weeks so I wouldn't rule it out. That's an awful lot of oil to use since February unless you are heating a stately home.

saintlyjimjams Tue 26-Mar-13 15:25:14

It's quite common isn't it? At the moment I mean, to have heating oil stolen. I'd ring the non-emergency number for the police and report it.

RoomForASmallOne Tue 26-Mar-13 15:27:00

I'd report it too sad

Lots of thefts of oil locally to me lately.

KobayashiMaru Tue 26-Mar-13 15:32:36

It should be covered by your home insurance.

Perihelion Tue 26-Mar-13 15:33:04

Were you there when they delivered? Only ask as I once had a delivery note through the door and then several weeks later noticed my tank was empty when the Rayburn went cold. Thought theft or leak....found out that a new driver had put it in the diesel tank for the farm next door.

zzzzz Tue 26-Mar-13 15:37:17

Not a stately home, but windows stuck on with paint and no insulation. Usually it takes at least 3 months to empty. I would have expected it to be half full still.

As if I don't have enough to do, now I'm going to have to build some sort of boiler oil tank barricade, and why smash my gate??. It's been practically wrenched off its hinges.

Dh has just phoned to tell me he has found someone who will sell us some in a jerry can.....anyone else think I'm buying back my own bloody oil.

Grrrrrrrrrr angry

zzzzz Tue 26-Mar-13 15:39:05

Definitely delivered, it stinks for about three hours afterwards and definitely not leaking as we replaced it last year.

Dawndonna Tue 26-Mar-13 15:39:41

The only person I know who uses eight hundred quids worth of oil in a fortnight is a friend. He runs a 5000 square foot antiques showroom.

TheCraicDealer Tue 26-Mar-13 15:40:53

Report it to the po-po and then tell your home insurers. I have investigated a few claims like this in the past few months and my DP (military policeman) has had to look into this in army houses too.

bigbluebus Tue 26-Mar-13 15:42:35

I think you would be hard pressed to use that amount of oil in that amount of time unless you have a very faulty heating system or a very large and draughty house.
I filled up my tank with 1000 litres in Nov (just under £600 at the time) and I have just this week put another 1000 litres in as it was getting down a bit low. My heating is on for 2 hrs in the morning and 6 hrs in the evening when the weather is reasonable, and all day from 06.30 - 22.30 if the weather is cold. The thermostat is set at 20 oC (or 16o if we are out but the weather is very cold). We live in a 5 bed detached modernish house.

Oil thefts are quite common, especially if you live somewhere secluded, but I suspect it will have been taken at night. It is not uncommon for thieves to watch where fuel delivery lorries go, so they know they are guaranteed a full tank. The damaged gate would lead me to think you have been robbed!

TeenyW123 Tue 26-Mar-13 15:49:08

We've just changed our oil tank. It's been moved nearer the periphery hedge so is more accessible from the road, iykwim. Dh asked the local police about the best way to padlock it and they said not to bother because if someone was going to nick the oil they'd just drill through the side!

Teeny

Angelico Tue 26-Mar-13 15:54:01

Yeah, as teeny said - when I asked oil delivery guy about oil tank padlocks he said, "Don't bother. If they want your oil they'll take it - but if you padlock your tank they'll just wreck it and then you have to replace it too!"

TheCraicDealer Tue 26-Mar-13 15:58:34

Although - if the fill cost £840, you may have used, what, third of it? So we'll say approximately £560 left. Your excess is probably £250....depends on if you think that £310 is worth the impact on your premium/the hassle.

secretscwirrels Tue 26-Mar-13 16:00:56

Yes I stopped locking my tank after I was told they would just drill through the side. I figure a tank costs more than the oil. Tanker man said as our tank is overlooked it's less of a target than neighbours' hidden tank.

OrWellyAnn Tue 26-Mar-13 16:02:32

We had 350 worth (500l) added mid Jan and have just used the last drop. Usually that amount would last twice as long at this time of the year. What was your consumption in comparison last year? We had a couple of weeks where I was so sick of being cold we left it on for about five hours a day...
Lesson learned in this house. We have a 5 bed old farmhouse type place, not brilliantly insulated but not terrible either, double glazing etc...

hazeyjane Tue 26-Mar-13 16:03:37

How bloody annoying.

It does sound as though it might have been nicked, I remember there being a spate of oil thefts when we lived in Somerset.

Sorrysad

zzzzz Tue 26-Mar-13 16:06:20

The tank is hidden, but I could put a door on it. It's in a lean-to on the back of the house.

I am so utterly pissed off by this. It's fucking cold and they can't deliver till next week. I'm broke and tired. Have put all the children in one room to sleep and have warm kitchen downstairs but it is not exactly fun.

Oh and extended family are all coming for Easter.

sad

zzzzz Tue 26-Mar-13 16:07:20

shock at the drilling!

secretscwirrels Tue 26-Mar-13 16:09:48

We ran out on Friday. Entirely my fault as I misjudged it. we used 500 litres since January.
Big draughty house that takes ages to heat up. I have had so many electric heaters going this weekend I dread to think what it cost. I managed to bring forward the delivery from next Tuesday to today (at a cost).
I have cranked the heat up so high we are all sweltering now wink.

TheHumancatapult Tue 26-Mar-13 16:17:22

sadly i would go with stolen we had it bastards meant none for three weeks

Nightingale123 Fri 05-Apr-13 11:11:12

Hmm..also just discovered my heating oil appears to have been stolen. The tank was filled just last week and suddenly its empty and the valve and tap appear damaged. 500 litres vanished and damage to repair too.

Feminine Fri 05-Apr-13 11:25:43

Report it!

It is a very common problem these days/ in rural areas.

We are coming to the end of 500 litres that was filled up on Jan 4th!

night thats awful. I'm sorry.

SingingTunelessly Fri 05-Apr-13 11:29:55

It's happening round here as well. Amazes me how they do it without being spotted as surely they must have a fairly large tanker to drain it into and it's so noisy! Well it is when it's being delivered anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now