Talk

Advanced search

To think this is too long and bad for a virus?

(11 Posts)
appletarts Tue 26-Mar-13 12:05:10

Ok 3 year old daughter, had temp of 38.00 - 39.01 for 4 days, now so tired she can't get out of bed. Face slightly swollen, been shivering and going blue in lips from time to time. Eating and drinking and has episodes of being fine and running around and then crashes again. Doc checked ears, throat, chest etc and says no infection so no ab. I'm tearing my hair out. Surely this is more than a virus???? I'm on verge of a&e!

YouTheCat Tue 26-Mar-13 12:06:50

Sounds like a virus. I'd be asking about the lips going blue though.

LetMeAtTheWine Tue 26-Mar-13 12:07:46

Have you tried NHS direct just to get another opinion? Sounds like something needs to be done!

HeySoulSister Tue 26-Mar-13 12:08:01

She's been checked by a doc. 4 days doesn't seem that long to me

PurpleStorm Tue 26-Mar-13 13:09:17

Viruses can make people very sick - but antibiotics won't help with a viral illness, no matter how ill the patient is, unless a secondary bacterial infection develops.

But given what you describe - especially the lips going blue - I'd be asking a doctor to check her out again, today.

MmeThenardier Tue 26-Mar-13 13:16:38

Mine have had similar and its been a virus and lasted for longer than this.

Does she have other viral symptoms like a sore throat/ runny nose?

I would take her back to the Dr's if you're worried, 3 is very young and she may not be reporting all of her symptoms to you.

deadlift Tue 26-Mar-13 13:51:09

Viruses can be very bad and long-lasting. For example, HIV is a virus and lasts forever and is very bad (although obviously isn't what your daughter has).

Flobbadobs Tue 26-Mar-13 14:17:53

Running around and crashing out seems par for the course with a virus, mine certainly do that. The lips though would worry me. I would get her checked out again personally.

Lueji Tue 26-Mar-13 14:23:10

Proper flu will easily last a week.
Shivering is when the temperature is going up. To do this, the blood is drawn inside the body too, which may well explain the blue lips. If her breathing is ok, it should not be a problem.

When is she running around? After Calpol? That's normal.
Let her rest.

Personally, unless she is feeling really poorly and in pain, I wouldn't give Calpol and just let the fever do its job. That way she can rest properly too.

Make sure you ease off the clothes when she is feverish.

BlameItOnTheBogey Tue 26-Mar-13 14:24:50

Have they done a urine sample? My daughter's lips went blue when she has a bad urine infection.

minouminou Tue 26-Mar-13 14:25:16

I'm not happy about the lips going blue either. I think your iron levels are deliberately reduced when you're under microbial attacks, as most bugs need the iron, so this could explain why she's looking oxygen-starved, especially if it's after running around, but I really would get a professional opinion. Take a pic or vid if poss when it happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now