Talk

Advanced search

Being pissed off that high school children are not allowed to wear Winter coats, scarfs etc when it's freezing cold out there

(123 Posts)
whenitrainsitpours Tue 26-Mar-13 09:22:53

Maybe they are allowed but if so why is it that they are not wearing Winter coats over their uniforms on their way to and from school? The only article I found about it or feedback that I got when I ask the question to students that I know is that they are not allowed to enter the school with coats, hats, scarf and or gloves... or if so they will get detentions of one hour after three warnings. I think it is ridiculous to expect them to walk to school dressed in bloody shirt and jacket which is not even closed off in 0 degrees and freezy wind temperature. It makes me livid! Then they wonder why some end up with colds, flue and chest infections. Don't they have a place in these high school where they could put their coats ie lockers or pegs? This country need to sort something out cause our children should be allowed to keep warm. Just came back from dropping my two dds at primary school, me dressed with warm ski jackets, hood on, gloves, and Winter boots and see this other teenager going to school with her mum: mother wearing winter coat with hood on and daughter only in school uniform, walking a long distance....cannot get it! So sad.

noblegiraffe Tue 26-Mar-13 09:26:15

At my secondary school there are no rules about not wearing coats and there are plenty of lockers but still loads of children (especially boys) choose not to wear one. When asked, they say they can't be arsed with it.

EggyFucker Tue 26-Mar-13 09:27:54

They are allowed, many teenagers choose not to

HeySoulSister Tue 26-Mar-13 09:29:46

Lol op!!

As the mother if 3 teens I assure you it's personal choice!!

Schools wouldn't ever say they can't, has your common sense deserted you?

mum11970 Tue 26-Mar-13 09:30:32

They are allowed but mine refuse to take them as they have no lockers and don't want to carry them around all day.

Saltire Tue 26-Mar-13 09:30:41

I think they are havering about getting detentions TBH. This is probably something they tell their parents as a reason not to waer them.
<mother of 2 teenagers who refuse point blank to wear coats to school>

Bearfrills Tue 26-Mar-13 09:30:45

They're allowed to around here - North East coast, freezing for roughly eleven months a year - but many just don't. I walked my 12yo DB to school today. DS, DD and I were in coats, gloves, hats, etc. DB had school sweatshirt and a pair of gloves.

"Where's your coat!?", non-committal shrug in response and a muttered "in my bag".

Supposedly it's lame to wear one.

WilsonFrickett Tue 26-Mar-13 09:32:49

LOL. I am a hundred years old and even I remember it's the death of cool to wear a coat in the winter.

Softlysoftly Tue 26-Mar-13 09:33:53

I wouldn't wear a coat up to the age of about 20, shivered my way round town, to school etc coz that's what teenagers do innit smile

But you are right we should spend oodles of money on an awareness campaign hmm.

Oh and viruses cause colds, not the cold.

Pilfette Tue 26-Mar-13 09:34:01

Mine decline because they're too cool have no locker... I mind this less then I mind them not being allowed to remove blazers in the middle of summer, that makes me exceptionally ranty.

Flobbadobs Tue 26-Mar-13 09:35:55

I am so glad it's not just my DS tbh, I had to ambush him with a hat on his way out of the door this morning even though I know he took it off when he got round the corner -he forgets I can see his bus stop from our front room...
He tends to layer up, football skins and his fleece under his shirt and blazer, it saves room in his bag I suppose.

whenitrainsitpours Tue 26-Mar-13 09:36:23

Well lets hope it is personal choice. It just seems to be the trend to not wear them. Doesn't look cool i suppose! They need a place to put them maybe?

Flobbadobs Tue 26-Mar-13 09:39:11

It's certainly a space problem at Ds's school, they don't have enough lockers for everyone and the amount of books and pe kit they end up carrying round gets ridiculous!

Goldmandra Tue 26-Mar-13 09:39:56

At my DD's high school they are not allowed to wear them at all during the school day. They are also not allowed to carry their bags or coats to lessons. They have lockers which are just about big enough to take a bag if the size and shape are exactly right but there is no room for a coat unless it is a pac-a-mac type.

The lockers can be opened with a piece of card and things are often stolen from them.

The school is a series of small buildings and portakabins with large open spaces in between so they get wet walking between lessons and they have to be either eating in the dining hall or outside (without coats) at lunchtime and breaktimes so often get soaked then too.

My DD wears thermals under her uniform and luckily, because she has SEN, she has somewhere secure to store her belongings, can be inside at lunchtimes and has a taxi to and from school so, although I have clarified these rules, I haven't challenged them.

I know lots of teens choose not to wear coats but it's a bit daft not to make it possible for them.

AudrinaAdare Tue 26-Mar-13 09:42:16

DD has been issued with a regulation school coat. Practical, smart and warm with the school badge in it.

Of course nobody wears it. I often wonder if whoever made that decision has ever seen or spoken to a teenager.

trashcanjunkie Tue 26-Mar-13 09:43:42

actually, I live in the north east, and the large comprehensive school ds1 attended did not allow students to wear coats in the classrooms there was no lockers provided, so the kids had to remove the coats and shove them in their bags. Along with umpteen other items such as books, many different PE kits, lunches and any after school club stuff. There's usually a reason kids cba. Plus it is 'uncool'

Graceparkhill Tue 26-Mar-13 09:44:34

At DS's school you could give them all a free coat and even arrange for a personal dresser to come over in the morning. You could supply custom built gold plated lockers but would they wear the bloomin' coats? Of course not- they are teenagers.

Flobbadobs Tue 26-Mar-13 09:44:44

Audrina we bought Ds the school waterproof coat, it's lovely - smart, fleece lined, actually quite a fashionable cut. Has he worn it? Has he buggery..

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 26-Mar-13 09:48:09

When my kids were teens you could've given them, and their mates, entire cloakrooms in which to hang coats and they still wouldn't have worn them.

badguider Tue 26-Mar-13 09:48:14

The private schools round here have a rule that coats and scarfs etc have to be the official school one which is so awful most of the pupils choose to stay in the blazer (though they do use the scarf).

State schools all allow any coats around here.

Startail Tue 26-Mar-13 09:49:28

It's partly choice, partly nowhere to put them at school and partly school rules.

If schools weren't so stupidly stuck up about wearing scarfs, hoodies or coats in class, DDs would wear them to school.

But no, no individuality, nothing that isn't uniform is allowed.

TantrumsAndBalloons Tue 26-Mar-13 09:49:46

I dont think ds1 even has a coat.

He wears football skins, t shirt, hoodie.

He doesnt want a coat.

NoelHeadbands Tue 26-Mar-13 09:55:24

Mine don't wear coats to school. Ever.

I've given up fretting about it, it's character building I've decided.

whenitrainsitpours Tue 26-Mar-13 09:56:05

Well all we need is some warmer weather to come our way just about now!

AudrinaAdare Tue 26-Mar-13 09:56:09

Flobadobs grin

I owned two coats between the ages of twelve and twenty. One was a long black goth-y thin cloth thing hardly worthy of being called a coat and the other was a leather jacket. And these items were never done up, ever. Social death.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now