Talk

Advanced search

To think DH should report his accident?!

(19 Posts)
Jojobump1986 Tue 26-Mar-13 09:06:44

DH just rang to tell me he was knocked off his bike this morning. He's fine other than a rather large bruise on his leg but he went over the bonnet of a van that turned into a parking space without looking. His bike isn't insured because he's a plonker a really careful rider & it's a ridiculously old bike so he's not all that bothered about it being stolen... This has made him realise that perhaps insurance is a good idea!

Anyway, in his state of shock he didn't get the van driver's details & refused money that he offered. This all happened on a very busy main road into the city which is lined with shops with security cameras. It's the sort of road where you couldn't sneeze without being filmed! The incident will have been caught on someone's CCTV so I'm sure the police could track the driver.

He says he doesn't want to report it because he's not badly injured. I think he should report it, even if he doesn't want to press charges, so it can be added to the ridiculous number of accidents that happen along that stretch to support those who are campaigning to get something done about safety.

Who's right?!

EggyFucker Tue 26-Mar-13 09:08:08

Will he get prosecuted for having no insurance if he reports it?

EggyFucker Tue 26-Mar-13 09:08:57

What kind of bike, sorry

dexter73 Tue 26-Mar-13 09:09:40

Not saying either of you are right/wrong but I think it is up to him whether he reports it or not.

LIZS Tue 26-Mar-13 09:09:46

You don't need insurance for a bike . Yes he should report , has he seen a doctor ?

Jojobump1986 Tue 26-Mar-13 09:10:22

I honestly have no idea! He wouldn't not have insurance if he thought it was mandatory though. confused

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 26-Mar-13 09:10:32

Push bike or motor bike?

auforfoulkesake Tue 26-Mar-13 09:10:32

surely you doht need insurance to ride a push bike ? shock

Jojobump1986 Tue 26-Mar-13 09:13:15

Sorry, it's a bicycle.

No he's not seen a doctor because he 'feels fine'. hmm He's pretty sure he rolled & his helmet isn't at all damaged. He's under strict instruction to go straight to the hospital if he feels even the slightest bit off!

Trazzletoes Tue 26-Mar-13 09:13:23

I think OP means that he has a push bike which is not insured for its value if its stolen or damaged, not that he needs insurance to ride it on the road.

So the bike is damaged (as well as her DH) and he has lost out financially too.

Could be wrong though.

auforfoulkesake Tue 26-Mar-13 09:14:29

shame he didn't take the money offered.
put it down to experience and hope he is safer in future. I wouldn't report it.

livinginwonderland Tue 26-Mar-13 09:19:56

he doesn't need insurance for a bicycle and if it's not valuable, getting money back for damage would probably be more hassle than it's worth.

i don't think he needs to report it if he doesn't want to, although i would.

Softlysoftly Tue 26-Mar-13 09:20:02

I wouldn't at this point but only because he led the apologetic van driver to believe he was off the hook. He should have reported it then and there and got checked out.

He needs insurance for personal liability if nothing else what if he hit someone and got sued?

dexter73 Tue 26-Mar-13 09:24:58

My dh has British Cycling membership which includes liability insurance.

badguider Tue 26-Mar-13 09:28:50

I am a cyclist and have been for decades in London and now another smaller city, I wouldn't because the driver apologised and offered money and your DH said no, so I feel that despite the fact your Dh would have been in shock he has essentially said to the driver that he accepts the apology and it wouldn't be fair to potentially set the police on him at this point.
If the driver had driven off then I absolutely would have done all I could to hunt them down.

Also, the council are unlikely to do anything about the road just because of a police report, but he could, if he thinks it's the markings at fault, write to the sustainable transport person at the council.

WilsonFrickett Tue 26-Mar-13 09:35:25

Isn't it illegal not to report a road traffic accident?

GobTheGoblin Tue 26-Mar-13 10:12:57

No I wouldn't. Your DH spoke to the driver, he was offered money and he refused it. All it would do is add to the police's work load who have better things to do, after all, it's not as though the driver didn't stop.

GobTheGoblin Tue 26-Mar-13 10:16:04

I believe that you don't need to report an RTA if both parties stopped and no one was injured.

badguider Tue 26-Mar-13 13:41:34

Insurance companies will insist that any vehicle to vehicle collision is reported to the police for their paperwork, but vehicle to pedestrian, cyclist, bollard or wall doesn't have to be reported if people don't want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now