Talk

Advanced search

to feel embarrassed and pissesd off by graffiti on my road

(20 Posts)
Bumblequeen Tue 26-Mar-13 08:34:34

Been living here for six years. Did not know much about the town before moving here from London. Why oh why did I not do my research?

10 mins away there is an estate which houses some young residents who enjoy defacing private property. Apparantely it was worse 10 years so my neighbour says.

I report graffiti on roughly 5-10 occasions per year. They tag the electric boxes, post box and garage doors.

Whenever we are expecting visitors I become anxious about possible tagging.

We do not live in the nicest town as it is according to mn and other sites on the Internet. The tagging really does not help.

Cannot move due to being in negative equity.

pedrohedges Tue 26-Mar-13 08:37:56

They do it where i live and live in a village! People who do it are pure scum. They need huge fines when caught the first time, prison if caught again.
This isn't art, this is anti-social behaviour. I'm fed up of it.

buggerama Tue 26-Mar-13 08:38:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

greencolorpack Tue 26-Mar-13 08:41:12

Speaking as one who lived on an estate like that, please be aware that people living on that estate hate scummy graffiti too. I reported it the moment I saw it and actually was a bane to my local council with my obsessive letter writing campaigns to get graffiti removed. Don't make this about everyone on the local estate being scum.

Bumblequeen Tue 26-Mar-13 09:17:05

greencolorpack- I was not suggesting that graffiti is only carried out by people living on estates. In this case, there have been issues with young residents living on a nearby estate. Apologies if it appeared Iwas 'estate bashing' as this was not my intention.

Pedro- it is down right depressing. My neighbours never report it so I do. Imagine trying to sell a property which has graffiti nearby. It creates a bad impression.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 26-Mar-13 09:22:50

I live in a "nice" area...lots of houses for over a million...huge great things, period.....on the outskirts of a small city. We're FULL of smart cars and well dressed people...guess what? We have graffiti too. It's part of urban life.

I would never judge someone on this!

greencolorpack Tue 26-Mar-13 09:29:28

Bumble queen that's good. I used to know school gate parents from the "nice"streets nearby and they used to make me feel like scum and wouldn't let their kids come to mine on play dates and they used to blame my estate when posting in Facebook for any petty crime/thieving in their "nice" street so I'm a bit class-warrior about this subject sorry.

It is young residents... I used to go to Neighbourhood Watch, and it's usually boys aged 13, and they grow out of it when they get girlfriends or just grow up a bit. You want to target the local DIY stores and make them aware of the importance of not selling the spray cans to underage people.

WilsonFrickett Tue 26-Mar-13 09:31:25

I can completely understand why it pisses you off, but why are you embarrassed? You didn't do it, your DCs didn't do it, why on earth would you be embarrassed?

LibertineLover Tue 26-Mar-13 09:33:37

Good graffitti is good, shit tags are...well, shit, I understand you reporting and being a bit pissed off, but like PP said,it's modern living,not just crappy estate neighbouring.

echt Tue 26-Mar-13 09:37:19

In my bit of Melbourne, the local authority's approach is an interesting one. If your property is grafittied, you are responsible for cleaning it off, on penalty of a fine. shock

Bumblequeen Tue 26-Mar-13 10:25:16

greencolorpack cannot believe parents would deter their dc from visiting your dc. Children have no airs and graces. Do snobby parents first ask which street you live on before deciding whether you are friendship material?

I have read so much about the school gate experience on mn- most of it negative.

greencolorpack Tue 26-Mar-13 10:35:02

I think they thought I was "one of them" (ie educated, middle class, professional) and then discovered with horror where we lived! We did nothing wrong, we were living within our means in a lovely spacious two bedroom flat that happened to be on a council estate. We had done everything right and were "living the middle class dream" except that we lived in an "undesirable" area. There was our cheap mortgage and then there was about a 200 thousand pound jump to the next size up house and we had no hope of affording it so we lived within our means and were universally reviled and hated for it by our respectable friends in their "nice" houses. We put up with it for as long as we could bear and we now live in a "nice" house in a "nice" area and we are too busy working to have friends but if we did have friends they would approve of us. We win! (irony).

I am only bitter because I really liked these school gate friends and wanted to have a simple uncomplicated friendship. But in that world we were too weird and countercultural for not caring about fitting into the right pigeonhole (ie living in a house we couldn't afford that would be a two hour commute for dhs work just to tick the "respectable" box).

Bumblequeen Tue 26-Mar-13 10:57:22

So does living on a council estate mean you are uneducated, unprofessional? Why did your friends hate you for living there? They do not sound like friends if they made you feel bad about living there.

My friend lives in an ex council house on a nice estate. She has a lot more room than we do. I truly wish I had more space.

Owllady Tue 26-Mar-13 11:04:35

judging someone for where they live is incredibly narrow minded

greencolorpack Tue 26-Mar-13 11:09:55

Not to me it doesn't. I loved our estate, I loved our neighbours, I didn't like the boys who did the tagging but if that's all you have to complain about you aren't doing too badly. I regularly left my car unlocked by accident and found it fine.

What did my head in was the middle class people we knew in the "nice" houses and in church. I think they sell their souls to the Devil in order to achieve the middle class ideal (mortgaged up to the hilt to live in the "nice" semi detached houses) and so we offended them by living where we lived and feeling okay about it. We messed with their innate sense of snobbery and we couldn't be easily pigeonholed.

Of course nobody ever admits out loud to this stuff. I remember throwing a party and inviting all the women in my bible study group. They all looked horrified and none of them came. They wouldn't say "I would like to come but am worried about finding my car up on bricks". If they had said that I would have said "I regularly leave my car unlocked and it's fine" but snobbery involves silence and making excuses. Dontcha just love snobbery.

thezebrawearspurple Tue 26-Mar-13 12:49:08

Luckily it doesn't happen where I live, I would hate to have live around people who have so little respect for their area. It's ugly, tacky and degrades the entire area. yadnbu.

TigOldBitties Tue 26-Mar-13 12:55:57

Can you get the council to build a graffiti wall/area or designate somewhere specific.

I hate tagging its so unattractive and repetitive but some of the graffiti near us is great, we have some great local street artists or those who I guess do sort of elaborate tagging, but the majority of it takes place in specific areas or on the same sort of walls.

pedrohedges Tue 26-Mar-13 13:19:08

New graffiti has popped up near my local shop. It's a giant willy complete with ball sack. The idiots have chucked a few pubes on there for good measure too.
This is right where i walk my kids to school.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 26-Mar-13 14:44:19

Pedro, put a frame around it and tell everyone it's a Banksy.

MrsRajeshKoothrappali Tue 26-Mar-13 16:04:04

I used to have 'CUNT' spray painted in white on the side of my house.

Bloody handy when people were visiting and needing direction.

You get used to it..!

wink

And your mates are there to visit you - not the surrounding walls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now