Talk

Advanced search

To run in Central Park alone at 7pm?

(24 Posts)
Cyclefaster Sun 24-Mar-13 21:28:16

Just some advice from those who may live in NY or at least some experience. I am attending a conference in NY and the days to attend will be from 8-6pm. I have to continue my run training for a race coming up. I plan to go for some long runs in Central Park but will only be able to do this in the evening. My DM thinks this is totally unsafe but I figure it will still be daylight. The other option I guess is to drag a friend along with me, but that may not be possible. AIBU to consider doing this? I'm a 41 yr old 'lady' smile

Meglet Sun 24-Mar-13 21:30:45

Now, I'm sure I read somewhere recently that central park has become very safe in the last few years. But I can't for the life of me remember where I read it.

(disclaimer; have never even been to NY)

Meglet Sun 24-Mar-13 21:35:17

here you go it was in the NY times a while back

Now, why don't I have the same memory for my OU course which I should be doing right now hmm.

I'm jealous! Have a wonderful time. You can run where you like now, and there will be lots of other people running too.

Cyclefaster Sun 24-Mar-13 22:07:21

Thanks for that link Meglet. Very helpful and hopefully will reassure DM! I'm soooo excited to be going!

stopgap Sun 24-Mar-13 23:20:55

You'll be fine. For the safest run of all, stick to the bottom loop, past the old site of Tavern on the Green, along Central Park South and up the West Side to 72nd St. Do not run in the top part of the park at night (where "the big hill" is located). I know what the article above says about a greater police presence above 96th St, but it's still too minimally populated for my taste.

There are several running clubs that use the park, plus all the casual runners and cyclists, so you definitely won't be alone.

Kungfutea Mon 25-Mar-13 03:26:14

I agree. The lower part of central park is fine but not the upper part - less people around and the area becomes a bit dodgy.

TheFallenNinja Mon 25-Mar-13 04:13:26

There may be less crazies around if you go early morning, or, get DP to go with youwink

Morloth Mon 25-Mar-13 05:13:27

IME Central Park is pretty busy at 7pm most evenings so you wouldn't be all alone.

God I love NY.

AmericasTorturedBrow Mon 25-Mar-13 05:19:48

totally, utterly fine...lucky you!

Longdistance Mon 25-Mar-13 05:37:55

envy definately use the bottom part of CP.

Cyclefaster Mon 25-Mar-13 21:00:14

Would love to take DP but don't have one! I'm staying on Madison Ave between 92nd and 93rd I believe, so is that the bottom part of the park? Please excuse my ignorance!

That is nearer the top. Head towards the park on 5th Avenue from your hotel, there's an entrance at about 90th that leads on to a path around the reservoir that is very nice.

nevergoogle Mon 25-Mar-13 21:38:07

it's been 10 years but when i lived there i wouldn't have gone to central park after dark. both the new york palace and the waldorf astoria have decent gyms (i used to work in them).

ImperialBlether Mon 25-Mar-13 22:06:38

You could run along Riverside Drive on the west of Manhattan. There are loads of runners there.

Cyclefaster Mon 25-Mar-13 22:40:12

That's great thank you everyone! Running around the reservoir then! smile

stopgap Mon 25-Mar-13 23:13:59

That's my nabe. I'd run down Fifth and enter at 84th, alongside the Museum, and from there run down and do the loop I suggested. You could get on at 90th and run the bridlepath, but it is less busy and I wouldn't do the reservoir in the evening (it's a very small loop, too, possibly a mile or so).

How long a run were you thinking?

Cyclefaster Tue 26-Mar-13 20:55:58

Thanks stopgap, I'm thinking at least 8-10k if possible. How long is the route on the bridle path you are suggesting? Really appreciate the replies. X

stopgap Tue 26-Mar-13 22:08:42

Here you go smile

The full loop is six miles; from memory, I think the upper bridle path is four.

http://www.centralpark.com/usr/maps/CentralParkRunningMap.pdf

Cyclefaster Tue 26-Mar-13 23:07:32

Great thank you so much! Xx

M0naLisa Tue 26-Mar-13 23:13:42

Not jealous at all wink

I've just left NY, or I'd have offered to run with you smile. I agree with stopgap's suggestions. Also try googling Jack Rabbit and Nike running groups - I think both have organised groups at a variety of paces which you can just turn up for.

The stretch along the Park down 5th Ave is not bad if you don't want to be in the Park itself - and has fewer traffic lights than running through the streets.

The clock have already changed in the US, so it's lighter at night than here.

Enjoy your running envy

anonymosity Tue 26-Mar-13 23:46:00

Yes its fine - only a problem in the dark.

AudrinaAdare Wed 27-Mar-13 00:45:06

I read the title as, "AIBU to run in Center Parcs alone, which as we know is not without peril shock

You sound lovely and I hope you do really well in your race. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now