Talk

Advanced search

I'm flossing my teeth, and want to know what is the fucking point, really?

(112 Posts)
trashcanjunkie Sat 23-Mar-13 00:19:17

I gave up smoking six weeks or so ago. I had my teeth cleaned for forty five quid at the dentists, they are lovely and stain free. I have gum disease cos of my dirty habit, and the hygeinist wants me to return in a couple of months for deep below the gum cleaning. She wants to use an anastheatic as it's gonna really hurt, which I'm a bit horrified at. She said not to use corsodyl in the meantime, as it will stain my teeth, and that I have to floss daily. Now, I've been at the flossing for a month, and to be honest I'm struggling to see any changes/benefits. One or two places piss with blood each time, and the rest don't. Nothing changes! AIBU to ask, how many people floss and do you notice a difference if you do or don't?

Bugsbasset Sat 23-Mar-13 00:24:49

Worth doing Trash . After I gave up smoking it took a while for my gums to stop bleeding. think it is because the blood supply returns and our gums become nice and pink again .

My dentist recommended an inter dental brush which I use twice a day after normal cleaning . Same sort of thing as floss I imagine.

Keep it up and it does make a difference but not always something we see ..but the dentist will .

RobbinyoureastereggsSparkles Sat 23-Mar-13 00:28:07

Well it gets rid of the food debris that gets stuck in between your teeth, which can cause smelly breath. It cleans under the gum line and can prevent gum disease (in your case it's probably helping it not get worse?). My teeth feel lovely and clean after flossing, although I don't do it all the time as I sometimes forget.

cerealqueen Sat 23-Mar-13 00:29:14

So your teeth don't fall out? Carry on, people lose teeth not from decay but receding gums.

Selks Sat 23-Mar-13 00:29:46

You will see a difference.

I went to the dentist after a gap of several years (blush) only to be told I had bad gums and was in dire need of upping my dental care regime (had been just doing the bare minimum of brush twice a day up till then).

I now brush twice a day sometimes three; I floss twice a day and use corsodyl daily twice a day. My gums are much improved, any bleeding has stopped and they are a healthy pink instead of an inflammed red.

You just need to keep at it and make it your new daily routine.

CandyCrushed Sat 23-Mar-13 00:45:02

I have never smoked but floss my teeth at least twice a day and more if I have eaten something sweet. It is easy for e to 'feel' when i need to floss as I can feel the plaque. I also use a sonic toothbrush. I carry floss in my handbag in case my teeth feel dirty.
I still get a little plaque at the back of my lower teeth where my teeth are wonky (luckily not visible) confused

The bleeding will stop once your gums get healthy.

That is fantastic that you have given up smoking. Enjoy the extra cash smile

EuroShaggleton Sat 23-Mar-13 02:21:10

I'm with you op. I don't get flossing. I've done it quite a bit but never noticed any benefit. I now use interdental brushes sometimes but have dispensed with floss.

MaBumble Sat 23-Mar-13 02:40:48

I gave up smoking nearly a year ago and had the same problem, have lovely teeth & pink none bleeding gums now. Keep it up, and try the little brushes!

MaBumble Sat 23-Mar-13 02:42:24

Oh and the below the gum isn't pleasant, but you will notice a difference in days afterwards!

differentnameforthis Sat 23-Mar-13 05:59:45

The difference is, is that you are removing bacteria, plaque & food debris from in between your teeth. This is what gets under your gums & eats away at the bone under your gums & in turn that loosens your teeth. The benefit is, is that you keep your teeth longer.

Backtobedlam Sat 23-Mar-13 07:17:20

Can I ask how other people floss? I can do the ones at the front, but are you supposed to do the back ones to?

hwjm1945 Sat 23-Mar-13 07:24:28

Yes do it.I used to be pretty cavalier about teeth.as long as no bad breath ok with me.then had to have as loads of treatment.started flossing 6 years ago.no more decay since.

QuietNinjaTardis Sat 23-Mar-13 07:39:05

I read somewhere that flossing daily can add 6 years to your life. If you've quit smoking then that's several more years added onto your life. So there you go. You've extended your lifetime by loads of years. Well done op grin

QuietNinjaTardis Sat 23-Mar-13 07:40:23

Backtobedlam of course you do the back new too. Bit awkward but they'll get food stuck in between just as much as the front ones.

AKissIsNotAContract Sat 23-Mar-13 07:46:11

'Can I ask how other people floss? I can do the ones at the front, but are you supposed to do the back ones to?'

Floss the ones you want to keep. Wrap the floss into a c shape and wipe the side of each tooth, don't saw it into the gums.

WallyBantersJunkBox Sat 23-Mar-13 07:50:16

I've read that scientist think there is a connection between flossing and preventing heart disease.

I have made it part of my routine. There is a particularly nice gap where I can easily fish out a piece of chicken or a whole grain. shock grin

It's mouthwash I can't stand. I've only ever found one I can tolerate from the US.

Can I ask at what age people get their DC's to floss?

AKissIsNotAContract Sat 23-Mar-13 07:55:44

You don't really need mouthwash, it's a bit gimmicky. Brushing and interdental cleaning are all you need.

There are links between gum disease and low birthweight babies in pregnant women, diabetes, heart disease, stroke and new evidence is suggesting Alzheimer's too.

bedmonster Sat 23-Mar-13 09:31:16

I floss twice a day every day. I love the feeling. The benefits are hidden but most definitely there. The bleeding is normal and will gradually reduce. Keep up the good work, and whoever asked about flossing the back ones, the answer is YES!

minouminou Sat 23-Mar-13 09:38:43

You were being very prudent and saving it for later, Wally!

Keep flossing, OP...... Think of lions etc and the state their teeth and gums get into in later life.....

Sparklingbrook Sat 23-Mar-13 09:41:27

Flossing is really important. I have a Waterpik which is even better-like a jetwash between your teeth.

Teeth tend to be lost these days not because of decay but gum disease. There is a connection between gum disease and heart disease.

Well done for giving up the smoking trash. How's it going?

CandyCrushed Sat 23-Mar-13 09:44:42

I got my kids to floss from an early age. They do it once a day. It's very hard to do with braces though. I have crap teeth as I ate sweets, didn't go to the dentist etc as a kid but I have made sure my kids teeth are good.
I explained 'root canal' to them at an early age hmm

Sparklingbrook Sat 23-Mar-13 09:46:55

DS1 has a brace, he is getting good with the Tepe brushes. I am trying to teach DS2 to floss but he's not getting the hang of it.

MrsCosmopilite Sat 23-Mar-13 09:49:13

I have slightly receding gums (hereditary) and am a non-smoker. I don't floss as often as I ought to, but it definitely makes a difference.

I was advised at my previous hygienist appointment to switch to an electric/battery brush if I could, to change toothpaste brand and to floss regularly. Since doing these things I have had far less sensitivity, less plaque build-up and less bleeding of the gums.

Well done on giving up smoking! smile

ukatlast Sat 23-Mar-13 10:40:25

Definitely worth doing - just build it into your routine at night after brushing. I found flossing regularly meant it didn't take very long whereas when I was younger just once a week meant it took forever and was much more unpleasant and ineffective.
I have never needed a deep clean but if you are numbed up it will be fine, it would only hurt if you weren't numbed up iyswim.

countrykitten Sat 23-Mar-13 10:50:58

People who don't floss.....yuck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now