Talk

Advanced search

It's officially spring now, isn't it? AIBU for not wanting to switch the radiator on?

(20 Posts)
Phosphene Thu 21-Mar-13 07:51:36

I haven't switched the radiator on the whole winter and today I was so cold I had to switch it on. [Shock] Before people wonder I don't particularly like to wake up in a heated room, it gives me a headache and I have a heated blanket which is much nicer.

I think Mumsnet should have their own Mumsnet Jet and allow all 'fed-up, cold and in a need of a bit of sun' mumsnetters to go on holiday.

InNeedOfBrandy Thu 21-Mar-13 07:54:06

I really don't understand why if your cold you don't put the heating on. And I say that as a broke LP

Phosphene Thu 21-Mar-13 07:56:52

I don't like a heated bedroom and it wasn't cold all winter. Today is the first day that it is so cold I need go switch it on.

littlewhitebag Thu 21-Mar-13 09:24:46

I assume you live abroad as it has been fecking freezing in the uk this winter.

bedmonster Thu 21-Mar-13 09:26:04

Of course yanbu. If you're cold, switch the bloody thing on. Ours had been on for about 2 years - I like having a hot house. People like the op balance out my carbon footprint!

thekidsrule Thu 21-Mar-13 09:29:36

turn it on women

wish i had your strength,my heating is never of

Panzee Thu 21-Mar-13 09:30:35

Friday is going to be fricking freezing. Best keep it on.

kim147 Thu 21-Mar-13 09:31:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MummyNoName Thu 21-Mar-13 09:33:17

I had to defrost the car this morning.
It's freezing.
I have no idea how you've managed to not out your heating on at all through winter. It's been very cold this winter.

SpringtimeForShatner Thu 21-Mar-13 09:33:30

How could you BU to not do something you don't want to do? confused

Do whatever makes you most comfortable, but remember there are no medals given out for thinking heating is for wimps.

valiumredhead Thu 21-Mar-13 09:35:04

Where do you live? I'm not often cold but this year even I have felt it!

Feminine Thu 21-Mar-13 09:36:48

If you are cold , do it.

We have to heat our house otherwise it hangs on to, and makes mould.

Its a massive expense, 95 for the oil and 59 for electricity a month!

We have no choice.

Fakebook Thu 21-Mar-13 10:49:34

Spring? Spring? Spring? Wtf is spring? Sometimes I feel like I'm living in Narnia.

YABU to not put the heating on. Just do it. We've had it on since September everyday without fail because its flipping freezing and it snows every 2 minutes.

cozietoesie Thu 21-Mar-13 10:54:32

I have to keep the heating on for the fabric of the house. (Old and drafty with a very indifferent roof.) On the plus side, we only keep it on at 16 degrees throughout the day and use electric blankets in bed to top up.

Your bills have made me feel a lot better Feminine. (Sorry.)

Feminine Thu 21-Mar-13 13:34:06

cozie...it might go down in the summer.

half a tank of oil here is about 350/400 pounds!

We get through that every 4-ish months!

grin

2kidsintow Thu 21-Mar-13 22:21:48

Snowing here. Set to snow heavily from now til Sun. Our heating is ON!

PurpleStorm Fri 22-Mar-13 00:16:58

Snow forecast here.

If it's cold enough for snow, it's cold enough to have the radiator on, IMO.

WildThongsEggHunt Fri 22-Mar-13 00:24:35

I don't remember the last time my heating was off! ££ortune.

Phosphene Sun 31-Mar-13 23:44:35

I live in England and yes the heating is on in the rest of the house just not my bedroom.

Pandemoniaa Mon 01-Apr-13 00:16:40

Where on earth do you live in England that hasn't been cold? Only I'm in the allegedly warmer South East and it has been fucking freezing for ages!

I'm afraid I don't believe in being cold for the sake of it if you can afford to heat your house. I lost a parent to hypothermia - she's was a great believer in thinking she could beat the cold but lost that particular battle - so I take no notice of the date and go by the actual weather outside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now