Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed they did not shortlist because of too few applicants

(14 Posts)
kim147 Wed 20-Mar-13 12:14:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ffswhatnow Wed 20-Mar-13 12:15:40

thats a bit shit IMHO - surely it would be better to have someone specific in post rather than look to existing staff to fill the gaps?

ilovecolinfirth Wed 20-Mar-13 12:15:59

Very frustrating. Why don't you ask them for feedback on your application? X

cozietoesie Wed 20-Mar-13 12:18:31

Are they leaving it open to current applicants to re-apply?

cozietoesie Wed 20-Mar-13 12:19:42

PS - sorry - have their previous applications re-submitted I should have said.

samandi Wed 20-Mar-13 12:20:34

I've had this happen before. I don't get the logic. So what if only four people applied for the post? If there's a vacancy and there's someone suitable, give them the job. Waste of everyone's time.

kim147 Wed 20-Mar-13 12:20:48

notahappycamper Wed 20-Mar-13 12:23:22

This happened to me a few months ago. My application was held on file until they readvertised. Apparently they needed a certain number of candidates before they could shortlist. This was a teaching post too. I didnt get the job in the end sad. It is crap after filling in the form.

LRDtheFeministDragon Wed 20-Mar-13 13:18:44

That's shit. Why do they need a certain number of candidates? confused Or is it just they can't be arsed interviewing if it's not a full day's worth, or something like that?

kim147 Wed 20-Mar-13 16:55:18

cricketballs Wed 20-Mar-13 17:31:56

its often the case in teaching I'm afraid - at my school we have re-advertised several posts as the Head wasn't happy that so few applicants had the relevant experience etc; his take is that he would just be taking what was on offer at that time rather that the best person for the post

fairylightsinthesnow Wed 20-Mar-13 17:51:58

YANBU to be annoyed but it is the way it goes in teaching. Its not easy to get shot of a bad appointment and in difficult financial times, schools often look at their current staff to see how people can be redeployed.

nalubeadsgirl Wed 27-Mar-13 22:02:39

I have just failed to shortlist for a job I have been doing on a temp fixed term contract basis for over 18 months. I got pg and the contract didn't get renewed. Then, lo and behold, my exact old job gets advertised.

So despite excellent reviews from the other staff, governors and parents, I failed to secure my own job! It is a new HT I might add, so maybe that has something to do with it and she wants to bring in a fresh team?

Would I be out of line to write to ask for feedback? Also, for a copy of my reference that they are sending out to other schools I am applying for?

Feeling very disillusioned with the teaching profession at the moment. At the very time in your life when you need security (birth of first child) here I am jobless and wondering why the hell I bothered working so hard in that school.

StuntGirl Wed 27-Mar-13 22:59:02

It will be to ensure they have a large enough pool of candidates to try and get the best person for the job, not just 'who's available'. It costs about £7k on average to hire/train up new employees and is very difficult for employers to get rid of someone sub-par once they've started. It is in the best interests for many employers to leave hiring until they have a large pool of candidates to choose from. (Not saying you're no good or anything! Just what might be behind their decision).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now