Talk

Advanced search

To be worried about 'passive smoking' from an electronic cigarette

(49 Posts)
Ewhats Sun 10-Mar-13 22:03:06

So my dm is a heavy smoker who smokes indoors so ever sinse I had my dc I have avoided going round to her house...although she never smoked when we were there I hated going round and coming out with a baby smelling of smoke. So me and my DM have had endless problems due to me avoiding her house with dc. I would never have expected my DM to stop smoking in her own house for me and dc but I did expect her to understand why I preferred her to visit us instead.

So after months of arguments about smoking my DM has decided to try and stop smoking tobacco cigarettes by smoking electronic cigarettes instead. she really enjoys them that much she is no longer smoking tobacco cigs....which is great...her house no longer smells and they apparently don't contain all the awful chemicals a real cigarettes does.

BUT....what is concerning me is that she is convinced they are safe for public use and they a not actually classed as cigarettes she just puffs on it now in the house if me and dc go round. It just concerns me what the vapour contains...apparently it's nothing toxic.....but 50 years ago tobacco cigarettes were also thought to be safe....and even though e cigarrettes are allowed to be used in public i just don't trust how safe the vapour is around my dc

I have googled but all I can find is articles saying they are safe but generally from the companies that sell them....so they are obviously going to say that!

I don't know if I am been too fussy though and abit pfb....I just feel, worried about her using it infront of dc in case it does contain anything too bad...are these things even regulated properly.

All my family think I am been OTT and laugh when I ask it not to be used infront of dc....they laugh and say there's nothing harmful on the vapour these e-cigarettes produce.

So AIBU to not want an electronic cigarette to be used in front of dc (in the same room) as so little is known about them and there affects on public health...

I want to encourage my DM to stay away from the tobacco cigarettes and support her but I just don't feel comfortable an e cigarette been used in front of dc... Is that UR or am I been neurotic?

Thanks

Plopple Sun 10-Mar-13 22:04:19

It's water vapour. You'd get more toxins from a fart.

SpaghettiBologneighs Sun 10-Mar-13 22:06:29

confused

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 10-Mar-13 22:06:48

Basically they only contain nicotine and a couple of very innocuous other things. Nicotine is a poison so I wouldn't let a child eat an electronic cigarette but I can't imagine the tiny quantities your MIL is breathing out will cause any harm.

BumpingFuglies Sun 10-Mar-13 22:07:22

Steam, OP.

<sniffs kettle>

Knowsabitabouteducation Sun 10-Mar-13 22:07:26

So al the research you have done, which seems quite extensive, says that electronic cigarettes are safe, yet you are still worried.

You have to balance your fears gainst the benefit of a relationship with your mother.

WorraLiberty Sun 10-Mar-13 22:07:34

Oh FFS

What Plopple said.

It's a wonder anyone lets their kids breathe at all.

squeakytoy Sun 10-Mar-13 22:07:40

you are being silly..

YouTheCat Sun 10-Mar-13 22:08:57

Your child will get more toxins from being outside near a road than from an electronic ciggy and well done to your dm for trying.

Kyrptonite Sun 10-Mar-13 22:09:02

This cannot be a real thread. Here's a grip. Just be bloody pleased that your DM has managed to quit smoking!

YABU and a little ridiculous.

Sorry.

bootsycollins Sun 10-Mar-13 22:11:46

You could safely puff away on an e cig whilst feeding a baby the "smoke" is just water vapour

CatsRule Sun 10-Mar-13 22:13:49

Yanbu

I don't like them either, they haven't been around long enough for extensive tests to have been done....like you said, 50 years ago cigarettes were considered safe!

I saw a man smoking one in Starbucks and it made me feel uncomfortable. Then again, being asthmatic I don't have the luxury of healthy lungs to abuse.

It's is not a good image/influence for a child whether the cigarette is real or not.

We have the same issues with pil and smoking. Although they'd never consider giving up. If you don't protect.your child who will!

Smudging Sun 10-Mar-13 22:14:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bumply Sun 10-Mar-13 22:17:41

I don't like the fact that they're not designed to make you quit, but provide a slightly safer way of giving you nicotine.
I don't like the fact that they're advertised as something you can 'smoke' without leaving the house, as although I don't believe there's any passive smoking risk it's still not an image is like my kids to see.

expatinscotland Sun 10-Mar-13 22:22:59

I think you're being a little OTT.

Cassarick Sun 10-Mar-13 22:26:16

bumply - your DC are going to see a lot worse whilst growing up. I'd buy them some dark glasses now if I were you.

And as for "not designed to make you quit" - in the words of my GP........"I don't care what you do as long as you don't smoke any more" !!!

Ewhats Sun 10-Mar-13 22:26:27

Lol at more toxins from a fart.....

Quick replies...thanks

I do want to encourage my DM to stay away from tobacco cigarettes so these seem a great option for DM who otherwise wouldn't have given up.

I think it's because they look so much like a cigarette I don't trust them....because they are new and extensive tests haven't been carried out then that's why I feel uneasy with it. All my family smoked near me as a child and they had no idea how bad it was......so I just wondered what the general thoughts on these things were as I'd hate it in 10 years if it came out these were really bad and I allowed DM to use it infront of dc.

I know there's crap coming it of cars ect....I can't do anything about that though....I can protect dc from any from passive smoking though so I just wondered if these things really are as safe as the companies that sell them make it they are....

Smudging I also hate them bloody awful perfume plug-ins.....ha!

WorriedTeenMum Sun 10-Mar-13 22:29:31

I am pretty sure it is just water vapour but YANBU to not want family members to 'smoke' in front of your child. Children do pick up on things - the look of relief when lighting up, the big drag and a sigh. All of these normalise smoking and YANBU to not want your child to pick up this habit.

Sweet cigarettes were banned for a reason.

bedmonster Sun 10-Mar-13 22:30:55

I don't know if I am been too fussy though and abit pfb

I think you do know.

Smudging Mon 11-Mar-13 07:46:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dawndonna Mon 11-Mar-13 08:41:20

Bumply if they're not designed to make you quit, how is it that so many people are giving up cigarettes successfully, using these devices. (Myself included).

WafflyVersatile Mon 11-Mar-13 08:48:00

Nicotine in vapour is from zero to negligible. It is also slightly antiseptic. I'd try not to worry.

Itsnotahoover Mon 11-Mar-13 09:18:08

They're about as harmful as being in the same room as someone chewing a piece of nicotine gum! I've been quit 4 months now using one smile

acceptableinthe80s Mon 11-Mar-13 10:08:30

Whilst I don't think they pose any health risks to your dc I do think it's pretty bad form to smoke in front of children full stop, regardless of what your smoking.
Not exactly setting a great example.
Can't your dm just smoke it outside when you visit?
My dm smokes but stopped smoking in the house completely when the grandchilden came along.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now