Advanced search

To tell DWP to 'get bent' wrt giving them this money back???

(33 Posts)
TheSecondComing Thu 07-Mar-13 11:14:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EchoBitch Thu 07-Mar-13 15:01:04

Tel them they have to prove it to your satisfaction.

It's U of them to expect to come back to you after 15 years and expect you to remember.

maddening Thu 07-Mar-13 15:06:54

Were ctc around in 1998? Could it be am overpayment of that? Call them and ask them what benefit it relates to?

midastouch Thu 07-Mar-13 15:10:30

My DP had one of these a couple of years ago from 1999 he didnt answer it think hes had 2 letters since, which hes ignored cause thats what he does best that was wayyyy before i met him so nothing to do with me as far as im concerned. I believe they can set up repayment plan if thats what you'd like to do, i dont think they'l send bailiffs round for that long ago though!!

teenagersmother Thu 07-Mar-13 15:53:32

DWP are awful. After my father died I repaid a pension payment that had been paid into his account the day he died. Luckily i got a receipt so could prove that I had done so. It didn't stop the snotty letters over the next few months demanding that I pay it back though.......
Hope you get it sorted OP.

SoggySummer Thu 07-Mar-13 16:08:40

Its the tone of Government Department letters like this that really pisses me off.

They start off threatening and aggressive.

We had similar issues to do with over paid TC.

My advice would be write back sending your letter recorded delivery and state that this is the very first time you have ever had a letter regarding this so called debt and that you do not acknowledge the debt.

Ask them to prove they have contacted you before with regards to this debt with copies of letters, dates posted and proof you received these letters - again state you have NEVER heard about this debt before.

Then ask for a complete breakdown of how this over payment occurred. Specify you want dates the payments were made and by what method and to whom/where/which account.

You could if it makes you feel better flower out your letter telling them you dont appreciate being written to in a shitty tone but you will waste your ink in doing so because they wont acknowledge this fact and just send more shitty toned letters you probably not answering any of the points raised in your letter. Sometimes they excel themselves and can respond to one point in the letter but never all - this is one of the reasons why you need to send this letter recorded delivery (and print off the signed for signature off the Royal Mail Website).

You probably wont get a reply to your letter the first few times. Our bitter experience was just more threatening shitty letters until they realised we were not corresponding with them in any shape or form other than recorded delivery letters. Dont bother to phone them because they will deny all knowledge the phonecall happened and even if they do admit you called they probably wont have recorded the same conversation you had.

Another hint is to label all letters with page 1 of 3 or whatever and staple it all together for them because they really are quite incompetent in keeping anything together.

Good luck - be prepared to bang your head against a brick wall dealing with these numpties.

StitchAteMySleep Thu 07-Mar-13 16:11:01

Apply in writing for all your data via your local Jobcentre Plus Office under the Data Protection Act 1998 and get a receipt. They have to provide it within 40 calendar days or you can complain to the Information commissioner. You want everything emails,electronic files, paper documents.

In the meantime write a letter and send recorded signed for (keep receipt) saying that you wish for a written breakdown of the dates and amounts and details of the money they claim that you owe and that you dispute their claims that you owe them. Demand they provide proof and documentary evidence that you owe them.

GregBishopsBottomBitch Thu 07-Mar-13 16:21:27

Ask them to prove that owe the money, and what benefit was over paid, dont pay a penny til they do.

I have to pay back an overpayment of tax credits, 1200 between me and my ex partner, i pay my half back at £10 a month, thats all they are bloody getting, and i still get letters demanding payment of it all, im always ready for a fight when they write to me.

SwervinMervyn Sun 24-Mar-13 11:15:03

Whatever you do, DO NOT ignore it, I moved to France 9 years ago, I am receiving a British state pension of £77 per week. This week I received a letter from the DWP saying that I owed them an OP of £600 and that they would deduct £27 per week from my pension starting this week! There was no explanation of what the OP was for nor have I ever had any previous demands for an OP from them. I immediatly telephoned the number on the letter and was told by a young lady after I went through security checks that all she could tell me was that the overpayment was for a period from October 1997 to February 2000, but couldn't tell me any more about it because it was so old! So my warning to you is that if you don't do anything about it they will just take it off you in the future when you need benefits or when you reach pension age, hopefully the cab and my ex-M.P. are sorting out my problem, meanwhile I have to try to live on £50 per week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now