Talk

Advanced search

to think Lynette Scavo is an awful wife?

(19 Posts)
LiveFast Sat 02-Mar-13 19:47:23

The Carrie Bradshaw thread got me thinking about other female characters I dislike.

I really dislike Lynette Scarvo from Desperate Housewives.

She purposely made sure her husband didn't get a promotion at work.

When he went for an interview at the company she worked for she tried to make him fail.

She bought a rat to place in the house as she thought he wasn't keeping the house clean enough.

She almost had an affair but fired their nanny because she thought Tom fancied her.

Openly admitted that - I want Tom to have whatever he wants, as long as its what I want.

I think if I posted on MN to say I'd done that to my husband most of you would think I was an awful partner.

(Also I think there is a person on here with the username Lynette Scarvo so just wanted to say obviously I'm not referring to her grin )

AmazingBouncingFerret Sat 02-Mar-13 19:49:44

Ha ha ivenever watched desp housewives and thought you were the poster-with-the-same-name's other half!

everlong Sat 02-Mar-13 19:50:54

I've often wondered who ( our ) lynette scarvo was named after. Now I know.

Sorry don't watch DH.

valiumredhead Sat 02-Mar-13 19:55:28

Oh I agree!

Btw what happened to the last series of DHW? It was showing at midday every day and then suddenly stopped!confused

TateForViolet Sat 02-Mar-13 19:58:48

I thought I was one of the only people hoping that her and Tom wouldn't get back together.

YANBU.

TaggieCampbellBlack Sat 02-Mar-13 20:02:03

I was on the verge if reporting you for personal attacks and all full of umbrage and about to say she's surely not that bad.

Hlowever. As you were............

SpareHeadThree Sat 02-Mar-13 21:49:38

YANBU! I always thought the same. (The character, not the Mnetter, obvs. grin
She was a cow to Tom. Even though I was pleased and all awwww when they got back together. confused

- She purposely made sure he didn't get his promotion by going behind his back to his boss.

- She put him down in front of his friends, laughing at lack of money and drive/ambition.(well, in her eyes) Then pushed him into a high powered, well paid job he was reluctant to take.
Then put him down for being a 'big shot' which is what she wanted him to be all along, so never saw her point there!

- She consistently went behind his back and undermined his every little decision. He wanted a certain decor in his office when he hired her and Renee's business to re-decorate?
Nope, not good enough - SHE knew what he wanted, and it wasn't that.
Never mind he was the one bloody paying for the service and expertise and was the customer.
She had to know best.
Sure there's more! grin

PurpleMacaroon Sat 02-Mar-13 21:58:55

- She didn't like to praise him to her friends (Tommy Tripod grin ) because she was always told that she was lucky to have him hmm

- Purposely got him drunk so he would fail his college exam. One of the worst by far.

- Had his boss and wife over for dinner so he could pitch to them and then butted in with her own idea.

Asamumnonsense Sat 02-Mar-13 22:07:22

Yeah she was really bad!! it took her 20 years of marriage to realise that she was controlling! Poor Tom...

loopyluna Sat 02-Mar-13 22:14:06

Agree. She's dreadful. What bothers me though, is glimpses of myself in her wickedness...
I'm sure I'm not that bad though and DH is def not as good natured as Tom blush

yaimee Sun 03-Mar-13 00:13:10

I'm not sure what it is but some how I can't dislike her. I completely agree with what you are all saying but I think she really loved him and wanted the best for him. And she was willing to work just as hard for things as she expected him to!
I wouldn't have bloody marries her though!

mrsjay Sun 03-Mar-13 00:14:52

I thought this was about the mumsnetter with that name< Disappointed> grin I didnt watch DH past the first series >>wanders off thread

weewifey40 Sun 03-Mar-13 00:15:16

I didn't like any of the Desperate Housewives; they're all awful, ghastly caricatures.

Bluelightsandsirens Sun 03-Mar-13 00:21:18

I agree but still liked the charecter. I think she was torn between wanting a family and then wanting the career she had before and that made her resent him for what he could achieve.
She also had the upper hand of being more capable than him and used that to her advantage.

<needs to lie down>

OneHandFlapping Sun 03-Mar-13 00:25:03

Oh I utterly disagree. She was the career woman who gave it all up for her family. She supported Tom in whatever ridiculous endeavour he came up with. Particularly the pizza parlour. He drained her of her support, and never gave anything back.

When she finally got a second chance at a career, working for Carlos, she was scuppered by her pregnancy, and then had to watch as he took her job, and went stratospheric, while she was stuck at home.

She also took in Tom's manipulative and unpleasant daughter - a daughter he'd never even mentioned to her.

I thoroughly dislike Tom, and think he's held her back, and she will be better off without him.

MemoryLanne Sun 03-Mar-13 01:44:12

A daughter he'd never even mentioned to her

To be fair he didn't know he had a daughter and explained his reasons for not telling her when he found out.

Manipulative and unpleasant daughter

I think if your mother died by getting shot in a hostage situation then that would mess and affect most people, especially a young child. Kayla was lovely to Lynette before that happened.

phoenixlil Fri 04-Apr-14 00:21:36

Oh my goodness. I cant emphasize enough how much I despise Lynette Scavo! If she was a real person, Id be tempted to commit murder! I just watched the episode where she pretty much Forced Gaby to visit her at the hospital! What kind of person tells their friends what to do? You have cancer, youre not the Queen like you are constantly acting like you are. She doesnt even care about other peoples feelings. Shes a liar, manipulator, and worst wife ever. Being bossy is one thing, maybe a bit manipulative but shes high and mighty while doing the most horrible things to her husband. I really was hoping they killed of her character. I was thrilled when Tom finally stood up to her. I would never wish cancer on anyone but I seriously think its a bit of Karma for her. What kind of mother throws eggs at old ladies no matter how grumpy they are ESPECIALLY when your kids were little thieves. And her kids were probably horrors because she doesnt know how to raise them. She rarely disciplines them, just yells and yells. I want to smack her so many times throughout the show.

I have to say the actress is really good, but her face now permanently annoys me.=/

phoenixlil Fri 04-Apr-14 00:34:34

Are u crazy? Shes the one that caused him to miss out on a great opportunity! Supporting him was her job as a wife! AND she nearly cheated on him after she nearly dumped him thinking HE cheated!

And the daughter SHOULD live with them, any GOOD wife would welcome their husbands kids unless theyre selfish.

He supported her through everything and she whines about wearing orange???
She didnt deserve Tom...shes a hypocritical btch that acts high and mighty when shes the one doing horrible sneaky things. Her kids are horrible BECAUSE of HER and if u dont want kids, be mature and take the pill or get your tubes tied. Its not all toms fault she got pregnant. You cant handle so many kids then stop having them or raise them better.
And how the hell can she get mad at Tom for talking to Rick, atleast he was mature about it and even said he would stick with her. He shouldve dumped her ass. Dinners with Rick when she should be with her kids? Im sure its hard work but its her responsibility. Worst mother and wife ever. Shes always allowed to be a btch but when Tom is, oooh poor her. If I was him, id be grumpy every minute.

CantUnderstandNewtonsTheory Fri 04-Apr-14 00:48:24

She was my favourite character at the start, she really loved Tom and didn't take shit from anyone but she got more controlling and unlikeable towards the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now