Talk

Advanced search

To think £40 for duvet cover is not expensive?

(144 Posts)
Pricklypickup Thu 21-Feb-13 18:55:50

I am considering purchasing this:

www.thewhitecompany.com/the-little-white-company/new-arrivals/british-sports-bed-linen/

or this:

www.lauraashley.com/bedlinen/football-applique-bedset/invt/3553424/

(D)H says "Noone in their right mind would spend that on children's bedding".

AIBU - mumsnet jury do I need to look for cheaper?!

MikeLitoris Thu 21-Feb-13 18:57:24

I wouldnt personally but I wouldnt spend it on my own bedding either.

My dc would have pens and all sorts of stains on it within hours.

LtEveDallas Thu 21-Feb-13 18:57:38

Crikey, I think that is really, really expensive. Not a chance would I spend that much shock

HoratiaWinwood Thu 21-Feb-13 18:57:44

That's double what I pay - or, to look at it another way, only £20 more than I normally pay.

Duvet sets can last decades in the right hands, if they're good quality. If the pattern has longevity, you'll get your money's worth.

kinkyfuckery Thu 21-Feb-13 18:57:47

It's outwith my budget (especially when you're likely paying for the label rather than anything else) but if you can afford it, whatever, it's your money!

germyrabbit Thu 21-Feb-13 18:58:11

can't see second link but in my experience they (well my sons) tend to get ink and stains all over their bedding so always try to get something that isn't white or too light!

TobyLerone Thu 21-Feb-13 18:59:38

Can't see the Laura Ashley one but the White Company one is 100% cotton. I think that's a fair price and would definitely pay it if you like it.

I pay a lot of money for bed linen because it lasts longer if it's good quality and it's much nicer to sleep in if it's cotton.

YANBU at all.

BambieO Thu 21-Feb-13 18:59:45

Nope, I love the British sports one. DS isn't old enough yet but I would get it if I could. As long as they are taken care of and are good quality I don't see the problem.

snowyskies Thu 21-Feb-13 19:00:19

I bought White company bed linen for my DD when she was 3. It lasted her until she was 10 and is still fine as a spare for sleepovers. So worth the money without a doubt. But it was a total bugger to iron, really hard work.

Pricklypickup Thu 21-Feb-13 19:00:36

Damn stains was also dh's argument - I argued that the bedding that he's had for the last 6 years isn't stained, but that's "because it's cream" confused - cream no different to white!

snowyskies Thu 21-Feb-13 19:01:31

It didn't wear out by the way, just got softer and more comfy. She just grew out of the design.

Sparklingbrook Thu 21-Feb-13 19:03:24

I don't think it's expensive. It's 100% cotton.

Good bed linen is an investment IMO.

goingupinfumes Thu 21-Feb-13 19:03:28

I think it's lots of money overall - but money well spent on quality, seeing as how much time / washing and use the covers get i think buying quality makes a difference.

ASpace and Joules have nice covers too.

BoringSchoolChoiceNickname Thu 21-Feb-13 19:04:48

Obviously only a twit pays full price for White Company - they're like Boden or Gap, the real price is 15-20% less with a permanent discount code. But once you've factored in the discount, I personally wouldn't go above £25 quid for a child's duvet cover, but I wouldn't say you were mad for paying £32.

BackforGood Thu 21-Feb-13 19:06:24

I think it's hugely expensive, and at first I assumed you meant for a double.
But, if you've got the money, then your outlook changes, so up to you what you spend it on I guess.

Adversecamber Thu 21-Feb-13 19:06:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DIYapprentice Thu 21-Feb-13 19:07:24

Ooh, I like that! I like that A LOT!!! And I LURVE the quilt that goes with it, but that IS out of my budget.

I think the only problem with it being white with a pattern is that the pattern would fade if you use Vanish White, and the white might eventually go slightly grey if you don't.

But if your DS's cream duvet hasn't got stains on it then I don't think this one would get stains on it.

Pricklypickup Thu 21-Feb-13 19:07:38

Thanks for the tip re Aspace and Joules I'll check them out.

Thanks for the tip re discount, never bought from them before, think it's time I got myself on their mailing list.

And good to hear White Company is long lasting.

Sparklingbrook Thu 21-Feb-13 19:08:11

We went on holiday and experienced 400 thread count bed linen Adverse. Came home and went straight out to buy some. It's lovely.

BackforGood Thu 21-Feb-13 19:08:15

Here you go Loads to choose from - and that was a very quick google, no real searching

XBenedict Thu 21-Feb-13 19:09:06

I bought DD a lovely duvet cover from John Lewis recently £25, not in the sale - bargain and it's lovely! They do loads for children and are good quality.

Sparklingbrook Thu 21-Feb-13 19:09:42

Homesense/TK Maxx usually have lots too.

TobyLerone Thu 21-Feb-13 19:09:45

Bet you didn't think to google "cheap, nasty bedlinen", did you, OP?

DIYapprentice Thu 21-Feb-13 19:11:04

Oh and I don't like the Laura Ashley set, so yes, that is too expensive grin

jeee Thu 21-Feb-13 19:11:46

I wouldn't pay that money - but if you have the money, and are happy to pay it (and I do think your DH should have at least some say in the matter), then it's not an exorbitant amount.

But if you want nice cotton duvet covers, have you tried TK Maxx? They often have 100% cotton kids duvet covers for between £10 and £20 - sometimes even cheaper if you find a red label one that's been pulled out of its cellophane and dragged round the floor a few times. I found a king size Designers Guild duvet cover for £8 once - it did have a thread count too (though I don't actually know what that means in practice).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now