Talk

Advanced search

To think giving a valentines card to your daughter is a bit weird?

(128 Posts)
FatPenguin Sat 16-Feb-13 21:02:14

MIL got valentines cards for OH to give to his daughters (15 and 12 years old). He refused and said he thought it was a bit odd giving valentines card to your kids. MIL is now in a huff with him.
Do people do this?

Foggles Sun 17-Feb-13 17:26:15

I've got nothing against it but it's not something we have done - or any of our friends / family TBH.

Perhaps it is a more recent practice?

Having said that, people wonder why DH & I get each other easter eggs....

because it's chocolate - that's why! grin

andubelievedthat Sun 17-Feb-13 17:41:16

my fella always sends one 2 a>my sister a complete drama queen (esp. if she does not get one ) and b> my daughter ,not his < who is not a kid>is young adult, because he does not want her to be upset ,privately, if no one else sent one , he writes them with his non writing hand cos he thinks / hopes it disguises his usual handwriting, one of the many reason i luv him is his daft caring re other peoples feelings.

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sun 17-Feb-13 18:56:18

Domestic ah yes I understand, I think I went off on a more generalised tangent with my wittering, as up-thread it was insinuated that it was odd in a pervy way.

Foggles Can I just say, the one celebration I am given nothing for is Easter <sobs> although DD gets far too many eggs and I end up having to help her eat them

Foggles Sun 17-Feb-13 19:40:51

BrianCox I practically had chocolate exchange days written into a prenuptial agreement grin

ShannonAKAMummy Fri 10-Feb-17 17:06:57

Nope not weird at all. I have told my partner that is what I want for our little beaut, I think it's all down to you and your comfort.
Maybe it would be weird if you wasn't clear it was from you and you pretended to send cards with ? etc - things like that would be a bit odd, but if you was to tell your wife and daughter you love them both and would like to treat them both to dinner or get them both a gift etc I don't see the problem tbh.
Yeah it's a little different for boys but I wouldn't leave them out - maybe give them some money to get themselves a gift or take a girl they liked out/get her a gift etc.

n0ne Fri 10-Feb-17 20:46:57

I think the in-person exchange of cards is weird full stop. Waste of paper. I send Christmas, birthday, condolence, congrats on the baby/getting married/new house etc cards in the post to people, but to just hand someone a card? Weird.

FiddleFigs Fri 10-Feb-17 21:03:59

My dad always used to get us (I'm one of 3 daughters) flowers and chocs on Valentine's day. We always sent him silly pretend anon cards. Now that I'm married, I don't get them. I think it's a sweet little tradition we had, and I never felt it was odd. It was just joining in a silly event. Plus I think he felt very sorry for his hopeless daughters who failed terribly in the romance game.

BaldricksTrousers Fri 10-Feb-17 21:06:38

I think it's sweet. We've got my daughter a stuffed toy and book for Valentine's Day. If you can't get a Valentine's token of love from your parents, who can you get one from?

AlmostAJillSandwich Fri 10-Feb-17 21:12:20

For a good few years me and my sister would get one each, i assumed they were from our dad because they both had the same hand writing. He'd act like he didn't send them though, they'd be on the hall floor as if they'd been pushed through the letter box. I honestly always thought he was just doing something really nice and sweet to make us feel better about ourselves and have some confidence. Not once did i think it was creepy, weird or anything "off". I've never actually asked if they were from him so theres a small chance they weren't, but theres really nobody else i could have been i can think of.

AlmostAJillSandwich Fri 10-Feb-17 21:17:50

I think it's lovely tbh when dads make a fuss of their daughters on valentines, there are a few viral vids of dads getting dressed up and calling at the door to pick up their little girls, in their little party dresses, giving them a corsage and then taking them to dinner.
It boosts confidence, shows love, and is a positive example of what is a healthy way to be treated by other men when she's older.

CocoaX Fri 10-Feb-17 21:26:02

No, I am afraid dad getting dressed up to take his little girl out to dinner on Valentines Day falls into the weird category imo - little girls should not even be thinking about how to be treated by men, let alone having little practices with daddy.

FannyDeFuzz Fri 10-Feb-17 21:30:00

My DD is getting one from our kitten
He's going to sign it with his paw and write "from a secret admirer". Along with mugshot sketch of kitten

It says on the front "to my friend on valentine's day"

It's all part of a long convoluted family saga revolving around how thick the kitten is.

Yes it's weird, we are fine with that grin

SpringSpringSpring Fri 10-Feb-17 21:39:29

If it's just about showing love, why is it father's sending cards to daughters rather than parents to children?

beargrass Fri 10-Feb-17 21:44:26

It's weird. The ones that expand the narrative of Valentine's Day only exist to make money for Hallmark et al.

DrDreReturns Fri 10-Feb-17 21:48:44

Well I think it is strange. Valentines day is for couples imo. Just another way the card industry gets money out of people.

Chickydoo Fri 10-Feb-17 21:57:09

I buy my 4 children Valentines cards.
Just to let them know I love them, always have, always will.
They are 21, 19, 17 and 12
I don't care that it is naff

ILoveDolly Fri 10-Feb-17 21:58:59

If your mil wants to send them she can do it. It's not very cool for a dad to send teens a valentine, ewww.

iwouldgoouttonight Fri 10-Feb-17 22:08:49

Jinsei and SpringSpringSpring you asked exactly what I want to know. Why (in a large percentage of posts) are dads sending them to daughters but not sons if it's just a way of showing family love??

That just seems wrong. Not in a 'there must be something dodgy going on' way but it just seems to promote a very outdated attitude of men buying nice pretty things for women.

KERALA1 Fri 10-Feb-17 22:10:05

Weird. About romantic love not familial.

CatsBatsEars Fri 10-Feb-17 22:11:24

I think its weird.

ladylunchalot1 Fri 10-Feb-17 22:14:57

I always thought it was meant to be a secret who sent you a card? I may be wrong though

Ohyesiam Fri 10-Feb-17 22:57:54

To me ,valentines has always been about romance and sexual attraction. Not a family thing. X

FantaIsFine Fri 10-Feb-17 23:12:01

NRTFT but really I got to vom moment by the tenth post. My DM still sends me ANONYMOUS BECAUSE THAT IS THE POINT cards, even though I know it's her. Grips?

Hercule Fri 10-Feb-17 23:32:02

valentine's day is total bollox so no you are not bu

U2HasTheEdge Fri 10-Feb-17 23:41:01

It's odd.

It's a day for lovers, not for children.

It's harmless but I do think it's a little strange.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now