Advanced search

To report somebody for benefit fraud?

(25 Posts)
littlemisssarcastic Sat 16-Feb-13 10:56:39

She'll still think that came from the sister though imo.

SecondhandRose Sat 16-Feb-13 10:54:59

How about an anonymous note through her door, she might stop it herself then.

littlemisssarcastic Sat 16-Feb-13 10:52:13

I agree with manic.

As soon as any investigation begins, your sister's DP's ex is going to assume it was your sister or DP.

Perhaps your sister has already decided the extra money isn't worth the trouble it would entail.

The most likely outcome imo if you report is that your sister's DP's xp will kick off and think it was your sister.
Your sister will, quite rightly, deny it and will then feel that she can't claim the money because to do so would be akin to proof to sister's DP's xp that it was indeed her.
Why else would she report other than to be able to claim the money herself? What other reason would there be?
Of course there is the added problem that it sounds like your sister and her DP's xp don't like each other very much.

So it would all point at your sister reporting, to claim the money herself.

In the end, no one would get the money and there'd be more bad feeling between the 2 women.

Where is the benefit in reporting?

HecateWhoopass Sat 16-Feb-13 10:39:52

She will probably think it is them. If they aren't chasing it themselves because they are afraid of her - don't you think that by reporting it, you will bring down on them the very thing they are trying to avoid?

Yes, she really ought to be reported. She isn't contributing, is she? I haven't read anything about her actually handing any money over. Doesn't that make it fraud?

But - your sister knows that she is entitled to some money - be it child benefit, tax credits, maintenance or whatever. If she isn't fighting for it through fear - don't fight it for her, because this woman will go after them and from what you say, that's what they are trying to avoid.

manicinsomniac Sat 16-Feb-13 10:37:58

I wouldn't.

THe child is only being claimed for once so it's only your sister and her partner who are losing out not society as a whole. And the woman would probably suspect your sister of doing the reporting leading to trouble for them.

AmberLeaf Sat 16-Feb-13 10:33:21

Stay out of it, there are too many details that you don't now for sure.

littlemisssarcastic Sat 16-Feb-13 10:29:20

Your sister and her DP have had trouble with his xp in the past. They don't want any fallout.
Have you discussed your plan to report your sister's DP's xp with your sister or her DP?
How old is your sister's DSS?

Birdsgottafly Fri 15-Feb-13 22:49:51

As said they are not committing fraud, as you can get those benefits if the child goes to live with a relative and you are contributing to their upkeep.

I doubt that your Dsis will drop the mother in it and say that they havre had nothing off her.

You need to leave it for them to sort it out, they will be involved with the investigation, which will be stressful.

madwomanacrosstheroad Fri 15-Feb-13 22:33:10

Also even if a child was in care the parents continue to be entitled to child benefit.

madwomanacrosstheroad Fri 15-Feb-13 22:27:49

The rule re tax credits is as far as i know that you have to receive child benefit for the child. It sounds like unfair arrangement that is legal. In effect it is a private arrangement. Your ds can contact child benefit, let them know the child lives with her and apply for the benefit. If they dont do that it is their decision. They may be worried that the childs mum will withdraw consent or be otherwise concerned.

DeepRedBetty Fri 15-Feb-13 22:24:19

Well Christmas was seven weeks ago...

It is your sister and husband who will have to deal with the fallout, but she shouldn't be claiming this money if she's not the one who's supporting the girl. How old is the child btw?

Sharkie45 Fri 15-Feb-13 22:19:52

She promised to start giving money after Christmas.
To be honest I don't know why they don't just claim the benefit I think they are too worried about the fallout but i am so annoyed to think this woman uses the money that should be for her daughter for herself and my sister and husband are struggling to make ends meet
Oh I don't know, I think I will report it I was just looking for a bit of back up that I'm doing the right thing

Trazzletoes Fri 15-Feb-13 22:17:11

I may be wrong, but the child doesn't have to live with you for you to claim child benefit, does it?

Of course that doesn't mean it's fair on your DSis and her DP, but I think they just make a separate claim themselves, don't they? I don't think the Child Benefit claim by the mother is fraudulent...

As I said I could easily be wrong!

No idea about tax credits though.

noisytoys Fri 15-Feb-13 22:16:06

I reported someone for benefit fraud when they were living with their working partner and claiming as a single parent. They had to pay back years worth of benefits and never found out it was me because I did it anonymously

MeDented Fri 15-Feb-13 22:14:08

All they have to do is apply for the child benefit themselves explaining the daughter now lives with them.

Itsjustafleshwound Fri 15-Feb-13 22:13:25

If you are certain and can deal with the fallout that is going to happen then do it.

I think the better form would be for you to get them to instigate the change

DeepRedBetty Fri 15-Feb-13 22:11:18

How long ago did she say she'd start passing the cash on to her daughter?

usualsuspect Fri 15-Feb-13 22:10:28


DeepRedBetty Fri 15-Feb-13 22:10:24

Why should she find out it was you? If she's a bit JK ish she may well have told loads of people who could subsequently grass her up.

Sharkie45 Fri 15-Feb-13 22:10:04

They have asked but she said she will give the money to her daughter and that was the last they have heard of it, they need to stand up for themselves but to be fair they have had a lot of trouble with her in the past

DeepRedBetty Fri 15-Feb-13 22:08:35

Sorry Do not Does at beginning. You can tell I spend time in Pedant's Corner...

Sharkie45 Fri 15-Feb-13 22:08:11

Am just a bit worried about her finding out it was me, she's a bit Jeremy Kyle -esque spirited

DeepRedBetty Fri 15-Feb-13 22:07:35

Does your sister and her husband not realise that they're missing out on the money? If they don't, tell them, and it's their job to ask for it. If they do, they may prefer not to rock the boat.

MrsLouisTheroux Fri 15-Feb-13 22:04:53

Yes. Do it.

Sharkie45 Fri 15-Feb-13 22:01:21

Have nc'ed as I don't want to out myself
My sister has her dsd(16) living with her however I know that the girls mum still claims child tax credits and child benefit for her
This really annoys me as she is claiming for a child that no longer lives with her and doesn't pass any of that money on to her daughter or my sister
I am considering reporting to the benefit fraud helpline...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: