Advanced search

to think it takes the piss to have to pay £100 a year to continue nursing?

(99 Posts)
NotHerRealname Fri 15-Feb-13 19:32:05

I have been a nurse in the NHS for over 10 years now, and each year I have had to pay a yearly fee to maintain my professional registration. Last year the fee was £76, and this year it has increased to a whopping £100.
Obviously I earn an enormous salary as a nurse so I can easily afford this hmm .
Does anyone else thinks this takes takes the bloody biscuit really? As I understand it other professionals have to pay an annual fee to stay on a professional register too. I was wondering how these fees compare to the one for the NMC.

Vexedbybook Fri 15-Feb-13 20:05:52

I don't do it for the money, it was £12k a year when I started. I have to work I'm not a trustafarian, but I didn't choose the job for the wages is what I meant, because they aren't that high!

I have no wish to offend architects, I know two and they are delightful but earn much more than me, thats all I meant. God I remember why I don't usually post in AIBU at all!

wonkylegs Fri 15-Feb-13 20:06:16

Notherrealname when I said I don't do architecture for the money all I meant was it's not well paid (despite what many people think to the contrary) it wasn't a comment on anybody else's job sorry if you thought I was getting at you

Vexedbybook Fri 15-Feb-13 20:07:01

How do you claim it back? I thought only self employed did tax returns.

NotHerRealname Fri 15-Feb-13 20:09:41

BikeRunSki, I am sorry to hear that, it must really suck. It is ridiculous that you are working for so little after so much education and training, and 400 quid per annum on top! It almost makes you wish your kids lives away til they are at school and the childcare costs reduce.
Nurses have it good in some ways as we can work flexibly, and do bank work or agency to increase income if necessary. Also its very easy to switch to part time after having kids. There is a lot to be said for that, so its not all bad.

sarahtigh Fri 15-Feb-13 20:10:25

i'm a dentist it was £576 last year for registration the dental practising insurance which is compulsory is £1074 for 4 sessions ( 2 days) a week so well over £2,500 if you work full time, ( that does not cover implants or more than average oral surgery that would all be extra)
membership of unionBDA ( british dental association another £500 roughly) this is voluntary

dental nurses I think are £125 which is more than regular nurses and they are paid much less too band 3-4 if work in NHS employee situation, it is tax deductible but comparatively £100 is not too bad

HavingALittleFaithBaby Fri 15-Feb-13 20:10:38

For RCN members For unison I claimed back uniform and fees and you can tick a box so they continue to refund it. IIRC claiming for 4 years of fees and uniforms I got about £175 back.

NotHerRealname Fri 15-Feb-13 20:11:22

Thats alright Wonkylegs, I was being a tad defensive! You know what we nurses are like grin

sarahtigh Fri 15-Feb-13 20:13:18

anyone can claim the tax back but if an employee it must be necessary to do job so registration fees/ compulsory insurance count union fees do not

if you have to wash your own uniforms you can get a small change to tax code ( not claimable if work launder uniforms for you or if you choose to launder yourself when they could be done for you)

landofsoapandglory Fri 15-Feb-13 20:22:49

"if you have to wash your own uniforms you can get a small change to tax code ( not claimable if work launder uniforms for you or if you choose to launder yourself when they could be done for you)"

Not if you're in the Armed Forces you can't! I We launder DH's uniforms, like the rest of the Forces, and they are not allowed to have this adjustment made to their tax code. There is a petition about it, but it won't change!

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 15-Feb-13 20:31:59

Registered Veterinary Nurse's fee is £160 per year and their pay is lower than a human nurse.

indyandlara Fri 15-Feb-13 20:38:36

I pay feed to the GTCS. There's no choice. Hubby pays ab

indyandlara Fri 15-Feb-13 20:40:28

Hubby pays about £350 for his fees. Architects don't really earn what people would expect. They have been very badly hit by the recession and are certainly not in a very secure position these days.

Sorry posted too quickly previously.

mercibucket Fri 15-Feb-13 20:48:16

teachers can also claim union fees, check the union website as it is not the full amount

Loopyhasanotherbean Fri 15-Feb-13 20:50:23

Fsa fees for financial advisers are about £150 per month, plus FSCS levy each month plus £35 pa DPA licence plus an optional annual CII/PFS fee which I think is about £200....and if you don't pay that you can't use the letters after your name that you've paid 4 figures for the exams and study material to obtain the letters in the first place. And if you don't pay they can take your certificates back. And if you happen to go on maternity leave or work part time, none of these fees stop or reduce. I would love to only pay £100 per annum and have a good pension scheme. And I am not a high earner before anyone says the industry can afford these fees.

lostmykeysagain38 Fri 15-Feb-13 20:54:01

Teachers in Wales pay GTCW. It's deducted from our wages and without it, we can't teach. Union fees are about £180 a year although they are, in theory, a choice.

thixotropic Fri 15-Feb-13 21:02:42

I'm in a similar line of work to bikeRunSki and I pay similar level of fees to one of those institutions.

We've had a pay freeze since 2009, and have to pay our own professional fees. I too am not a high earner despite being professionally qualified. Can't chase the lucrative stuff because I can't put the hours in due to having kids.

knackeredmother Fri 15-Feb-13 21:15:05

Another doctor here- £400 GMC , £2000 medical defence fees, £1000 exams. I earnt £32k last year before tax. I think the nursing fees are a bargain!

knackeredmother Fri 15-Feb-13 21:17:21

My husband is a plumber, earns considerably less than a nurse, gas safe fees are £210 a year.

Stealthfart Fri 15-Feb-13 21:20:01

Doobiedoo, if you haven't been practicing for 3 years you won't be eligible to practice anyway so you might be able to save your £100

nurseneedshelp Fri 15-Feb-13 21:22:17

Yep its crap!
My registration is due next month :-(
However my trust pay 50% every year :-)

Karoleann Fri 15-Feb-13 21:22:52

It's £380 for optometrists each year o maintain their professional qualification.
I don't think it's unreasonable and I'm glad the general optical council exist to maintain standards in our profession.

dayshiftdoris Fri 15-Feb-13 21:29:34

£100 NMC

£19.89 per month to the RCM which I have to maintain even though I am not practising so that I can have retrospective cover (There is the option for legal action against midwives for up to 21yrs post a birth)


last year I discovered half way through my HV training that the RCM did not cover me for HV practice!!!!
So I had to pay out a further £13 for Unite

last year cost me nearly £500 to remain registered and be covered legally as I was practising in both areas!!

Have cancelled my unite and I can downgrade my RCM once I am off the bank but even so - its going to cost between £250-£300 to remain registered whilst I don;t work for a year!

cathers Fri 15-Feb-13 21:37:52

I pay £1000 p/a registration and insurance to practice as an osteopath. That's regardless of how many hours you work. I think this is expensive!
Dh pays about £3000 to his reg body and defence union.

wonderstuff Fri 15-Feb-13 21:51:34

A gas safe registered plumber earning considerably less than a nurse? Really I'm surprised at that I thought plumbers were well paid, on the program about Pimblico plumbers the plumbers were getting close to £100k.

SingySongy Fri 15-Feb-13 22:00:06

It's only tax deductible if you are actually paying tax.
I'm an slt, and have spent two or three years doing a small amount of independent work (therefore under the threshold for paying tax).
I have done this mainly to maintain my registration, and avoid expensive and time consuming retraining in the future.
I pay £200ish to the royal college of Slts, £75ish to HCPC, and £100 to the association for independent SLTs. I pay for public liability insurance (£85), and also £40 to be registered with the data protection agency. I also have a budget of about £500 per year for CPD.
These costs are the same whether you do a tiny amount of work each year, or loads, and can mean its quite a challenge to maintain registration.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: