Advanced search

to think it takes the piss to have to pay £100 a year to continue nursing?

(99 Posts)
NotHerRealname Fri 15-Feb-13 19:32:05

I have been a nurse in the NHS for over 10 years now, and each year I have had to pay a yearly fee to maintain my professional registration. Last year the fee was £76, and this year it has increased to a whopping £100.
Obviously I earn an enormous salary as a nurse so I can easily afford this hmm .
Does anyone else thinks this takes takes the bloody biscuit really? As I understand it other professionals have to pay an annual fee to stay on a professional register too. I was wondering how these fees compare to the one for the NMC.

SizzleSazz Fri 15-Feb-13 19:44:41

My fees are £320 per year. They are tax deductible, if you can be bothered to claim.

wonkylegs Fri 15-Feb-13 19:46:16

Architects Registration £98.50 a year compulsory + insurance (depends on practice)
If your a chartered architect there is another fee on top of this which depends on how many years qualified which for me is £383 although they've kindly reduced this to £74 as I was made redundant at the end of last year. No reduction in the £98.50 which I daren't allow to lapse as A) I can't legally call myself an architect without it and B) if I need to rejoin the register after a lapse it costs me hundreds of pounds
It would be fine but you don't do architecture for the money!

Vexedbybook Fri 15-Feb-13 19:47:23

You don't do nursing for the money either and I don't think architects are on a pay freeze...

pippibluestocking Fri 15-Feb-13 19:47:38

Wouldn't be so bad if the NMC were competent, but they're in special measures. FTP hearings take a number of years to come to panel, which allows nurses of questionable performance to continue working agency or bank for several years after they have dismissed from substantive roles for gross misconduct.

NotHerRealname Fri 15-Feb-13 19:47:58

I also have to pay £16.20 per month for my RCN membership (union). Now it really does pain me to pay that as I don't feel that I get much for it. Mind you, its something that I would never do without. God forbid ever actually needing legal representation for a work related issue. So really in that respect I guess it is worth it.

trixymalixy Fri 15-Feb-13 19:50:07

£690 a year for my professional subscription fees.

Youremindmeofthebabe Fri 15-Feb-13 19:50:50

I'm a dispensing optician- that's not the kind that tests eyes, we earn in the reigon of 15-25k per annum. I need to pay £300 to one body, and £250 approx to another.

Luckily my employer pays it, but many don't.

nbee84 Fri 15-Feb-13 19:51:41

£103 per year to be an Ofsted registered nanny.

wonderstuff Fri 15-Feb-13 19:52:26

I really think my union fees are well worth it. The legal representation is obviously very important when you are dealing with vulnerable people, but when you look at the negotiations with government over pensions and working conditions I feel they've got my back. The idea of a Tory government and no union representation isn't worth contemplating.

LittleBearPad Fri 15-Feb-13 19:52:44

£360 or so for Chartered Accountancy and I understand its £800 odd for the Society although DH's firm pays his fees. Mine doesn't. It is tax deductible and all you have to do is write to HMRC and explain and then they amend your tax code. It helps although I'm very sceptical about what the ICAEW actually does for its £360.

Roseformeplease Fri 15-Feb-13 19:53:21

In Scotland we pay GTCS fees which are about £60 a year. I also pretty much have to be a member of a union in order to have legal protection etc. that is £160 a year as I belong to an expensive, but strike adverse, one.

montmartre Fri 15-Feb-13 19:53:27

Professional registration fees are all tax deductable, so you're not losing out anywhere- what's the problem?

thebitchdoctor Fri 15-Feb-13 19:53:39

Doctors have to pay £400 a year GMC registration and licence fees, then medical defence fees on top of that depending on your speciality, typically £3000-4000 a year for that. Also the postgrad exams we have to do to fully specialise (it's cost me around £3000 for that so far) then having to pay for our CCT (I'll have to check what that amount is, I vaguely remember it to be about £1000).

I know for the GMC if you are on mat leave you can pay a reduced amount though they don't like to tell you that, I only found out 2 months after I finished mat leave!

wonkylegs Fri 15-Feb-13 19:53:51

Vexed nope most architects are on reduced wages (many since 2008) facing redundancy or like me redundant. Architects have been hit very hard by the recession. I now have a lot of 'former architect' friendssad which is shit after so much training (min 7yrs)

olivo Fri 15-Feb-13 19:54:07

I pay about £160 to my teaching union - we don't have a prof registration body. But would be foolish not to be a union member, so no real choice.

thebitchdoctor Fri 15-Feb-13 19:54:17

Oh and then £300 a year for union fees (BMA).

LiveItUp Fri 15-Feb-13 19:54:22

I'm a Sport & Remedial Massage Therapist and there's the registration with the Institute to pay (around £60), the insurance (not high, but have to remain a member of the Institute of Sport & Remedial Massage Therapists to get this insurance), and have to pay for own CPD throughout the year in order to maintain Institute membership, and regular first aid updates etc etc. Overall - a few hundred pounds a year and most of us are self-employed so no employer to pay any of it.

On a good note, at least you (well all of us actually) can claim this back against our income if you do an annual tax return.

NotHerRealname Fri 15-Feb-13 19:54:28

Who says I don't do it for the money? Of course I do! I have bills to pay and children to feed. It really gets my goat when people assume nurses work for the love of the job. I love my job and I care well for my patients, but if I didn't have to work then I probably stay at home with my children rather than packing them off to nursery!

FannyFifer Fri 15-Feb-13 19:55:19

£100 and we don't even get our registration card anymore, just a shitty magazine that I could do without.
Actually not had the mag in a while, maybe it's stopped.

No option to pay monthly either or a different rate for part time nurses.

I am not impressed with the mad increase, was bad enough before.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 15-Feb-13 19:56:44

£370 for podiatrists plus £120 I think to the HPC.

3littlefrogs Fri 15-Feb-13 19:57:06

You would have to pay a similar amount in order to practice in any profession I think.

I pay my NMC registration and my union membership. My employer pays my insurance to practice though, for which I am grateful as it is much more than £100 per year.

ilovesooty Fri 15-Feb-13 19:57:28

£146.00 for my registration with the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy.

ilovesooty Fri 15-Feb-13 19:58:33

In addition to that: over £100 for professional insurance.

BikeRunSki Fri 15-Feb-13 19:59:37

Public sector employee here, also on pay freeze, and working cost neutral atm because of childcare costs. I am an Engineering Geologist and am lucky enough to pay two professional bodies. To maintain chartered status with The Geological Society and also as a graduate member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, both cost around £200 a year. Each.

stargirl1701 Fri 15-Feb-13 20:02:46

It is tax deductible so you should claim it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: