Talk

Advanced search

to ask middle-lane sitters why they do it?

(290 Posts)
Gentleness Fri 15-Feb-13 12:15:27

I'm not starting this thread to criticise or belittle at all, so please don't flame me. The audi thread just got me thinking about my constant mental battle to assume the best of other drivers. I have to, as I'm naturally a harsh critic and I don't like it in myself. But while I can think someone speeding is trying to get to their sick child, or someone dithering has had a bad scare, I struggle to understand the drivers who sit in the middle line on motorways. So, tell me why so I can train my brain to be kind!

Shenanagins Fri 15-Feb-13 13:06:36

There is a big difference in driving in the middle lane and hogging the middle lane and its the hoggers that piss everyone off.

They are the ones who will sit in the lane regardless of the traffic conditions around them as opposed to those in the middle lane as they are pretty much constantly overtaking slower moving vehicles in the inside lane.

take the other week i was pootling down a near empty motorway where i and others were in the inside lane doing 70 mph. Came across a car going slower in the middle lane, even though the inside lane was empty! I ended up undertaking them as opposed to breaking and pulling out across 3 lanes to get by them.

people like that should not be on a motorway as that is dangerous to other road users.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Fri 15-Feb-13 13:07:19

Agree wholeheartedly with choccypg1s post

WillSantaComeAgain Fri 15-Feb-13 13:09:57

I also believe that if people are scared to be driving on certain roads or in certain conditions, they really should not be on the road without further tuition. I think it slightly absurd that motorway lessons are not compulsory - why oh why are people allowed to drive on the most difficult and scary roads without a lesson is beyond me. (Personally, I paid for a motorway lesson about three months after I passed my test. It was one of the best things I ever did, and given that it cost less than a tank of fuel, I think every driver should do it).

FlouncingMintyy Fri 15-Feb-13 13:10:28

OP's thread title should have been "why do middle lane sitters do it when the left hand lane is clear" then.

The left hand lane being clear is an almost unknown experience for me, so, yes, I am a middle lane sitter.

Hope you understand now.

LulaPalooza Fri 15-Feb-13 13:12:17

I was also taught that if you're travelling at a constant 70mph and everyone on the inside lane is travelling at a constant 65mph then you stay in the middle lane. It would be more dangerous to keep changing lanes.

If the inside lane is clear then whatever speed you are travelling at you should be in the inside lane, allowing people to overtake.

If you're coming up to a junction and you can see that someone is going to pull onto the motorway then, if it is safe to do so, you move to the middle lane.

MarianForrester Fri 15-Feb-13 13:14:56

YADNBU.

This thread has been a revelation: I never thought that people actually deliberately decided to sit in the middle lane, but now I know they do it makes me even more cross.

If you are too scared to change lanes you should not be driving on the motorway.

If you don't know that you shouldn't sit in the middle lane you should not be driving on the motorway.

NopeStillNothing Fri 15-Feb-13 13:15:23

The issue is not really about sitting in the middle lane. I personally have no problem coming up behind someone in ml on a busy motorway and overtaking on the right. I totally understand how it would be a PITA to keep weaving in and out
What bugs me is when there is complete ignorance of the lanes around them when the traffic flow is low, when there is enough of a gap for other drivers to be travelling faster than them in the left lane. This will then force them to either have to break the law by undertaking or overtake over 2 lanes. If someone is so unaware and inconsidrate to ignore the fact that they are being undertaken I wouldn't put it past them to change lanes without looking which is why I would always rather take the risk of crossing two lanes. I'd much rather not have to make that choice angry

TheRivieraKid Fri 15-Feb-13 13:20:10

My FIL does this - will travel a whole motorway journey in the middle lane at about 60mph. Very dangerous and stupid - but when challenged he looked at me blankly and said he's always done it. so that's ok then hmm.

He is a fucking idiot though.

I honestly think every driver should be retested to current exam standards every few years - the amount who would fail would be very high and hopefully we'd all learn not to pick up 'bad habits'. But that's another topic smile

andubelievedthat Fri 15-Feb-13 13:31:09

Motorways are the safest roads in Britain, no traffics lights,pedestrians etc, if you were involved in a r.t.c.whilst undertaking a middle lane "hogger" with that same vehicle ,you would undoubtably be found to be at fault if only because undertaking is an offence, middle lane hogging is not, and the police peeps usually start with an assumption of guilt re the person who was obviously law breaking,>>its like a jungle out there.......

GirlOutNumbered Fri 15-Feb-13 13:40:50

If you are scared AT ALL whilst driving, please don't drive or get more tuition!!

mmmuffins Fri 15-Feb-13 13:46:11

I will stay in the middle lane if the left lane has intermittent lorries (no point in switching lanes only to switch back 15 seconds later, and I tend to get trapped behind lorries if I keep moving over). But I will move over if there is a good stretch of clear road in the left lane, certainly.

I think some people behind the wheel are probably just idiots, as you find in all other walks of life. You might not get a better reason than that OP.

Smudging Fri 15-Feb-13 13:48:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mirry2 Fri 15-Feb-13 13:59:23

What I can't stand is when I'm doing 70 in the middle lane with cars in front of me and a flasher who come up behind me wanting me to move over to the 'slow lane' even though the slow lane is is also full.

DeWe Fri 15-Feb-13 14:03:34

I tend to do it on a stretch of the motorway which uses the inner lane going off for the junctions. I get scared of being stuck in the lane as it disappears off at a junction I don't like.

And actually if I'm doing 70, no one should be going faster so they can't complain. I'm doing them a favour really, saving them from a possible speeding fine. grin

FlouncingMintyy Fri 15-Feb-13 14:06:11

Who is scared of driving? have I missed something?

drjohnsonscat Fri 15-Feb-13 14:11:08

Don't be too hard on people who are nervous of motorways. It takes a lot of practice. Lots of people would be scared to drive round Hyde Park Corner or in Paris but that doesn't make them bad drivers - just unused to it. I drive round Hyde Park Corner every day and spent a year in Paris (which improved my driving no end) so it doesn't bother me but I know lots of people don't like it. We should make allowances for drivers not being quite as brilliant and fearless as ourselves hmm

I'd rather have people be nervous than over-confident.

SashaSashays Fri 15-Feb-13 14:12:07

I'm struggling with this, mainly because I have only ever driven on motorways around/near London so predominantly M25.

I've been driving for years, I'm confident and not scared of switching lanes at all, I do it almost constantly.

However I often end up sitting in the middle lane, the left lane is full of HGVs and people doing 50mph, yes there are a few gaps but usually they are very brief and do not then give you enough room to overtake properly meaning you get trapped in the left lane until a really large gap in the middle lane appears which I find to be hardly ever.

I tend to just spend most of my time switching from middle to right lane, effing and jeffing at the gaping arseholes who are having a jolly old time crawling along in either lane, totally oblivious to everyone else. Wankers.

Which reminds me of my next point, why are some people INCAPABLE of overtaking PROPERLY. I wish I could get some missile on my car for people who pull in front at zero fucking miles an hour forcing you to nearly snog your windscreen while they trundle along up to the correct speed. Special place in hell!

KatoPotato Fri 15-Feb-13 14:16:52

Urgh Sasha! with you on this! Or to the plamf this morning who shot out in front of me at a roundabout almost on two wheels to then pootle along at nae mile an hour!?

ivykaty44 Fri 15-Feb-13 14:17:58

And while we are at it why don't people shift into the middle lane to let people join the motorway from the slip road?

Because it is your responsibility to join the carriage way safely and not any of the drivers already on the carriageway to give way to you

orangeandlemons Fri 15-Feb-13 14:18:17

I've been driving 26 years. But I am still nervous on motorways, mainly due to the amount of dickheads who break the speed limit in the outside lane.

Why should I stop driving due to the bad behaviour of other drivers? Tailgating and speeding are the big ones, also flashing lights at you so they can get past, and carry on driving at 90 mph.

Chandon Fri 15-Feb-13 14:19:12

I am a middle lane driver.

I do not like going faster than the speed limit. But neither do I like being on the left, as that is where people " feed into" coming onto the mtorway at hugely varying speeds, and you constantly have to calculate how not to collide with cars coming onto the motorway ( slow down or speed up).

I leave the fast lane for boy racers, audi's and the emergency services.

Hth

Twattybollocks Fri 15-Feb-13 14:24:20

I drive mostly at 70 and mostly in the middle lane. I do it because there is rarely more than a 200 yard gap between lorries doing 56mph in the left lane. I don't see the point in weaving in and out so that the man sized dick in the BMW driving up my arse doesn't have to overtake me. If you want to exceed the speed limit and break the law, fine, overtake me, that's what the outside lane is for!

orangeandlemons Fri 15-Feb-13 14:26:45

I'm with tattybollocks. Left lane full of lorries, right lane full of speeding twats. The only safe place is the middle lane. However, I only do it when the other lanes are full. When they are clear I always drive in left hand lane, and that is when middle lane drivers really annoy me. No cars in sight apart from the one cruising down the middle lane......

maddening Fri 15-Feb-13 14:27:52

Juneybean - why bother sticking to the legal speed limit while doing an illegal manoeuvre? That is dangerous and you would be prosecuted for dangerous driving if spotted by police or even worse causing an accident - drivers who do this liking to make a point just look like fucking wombles and worse than the middle lane hogger to everyone else.

Two wrongs don't make a right and all that.

Sparklingbrook Fri 15-Feb-13 14:28:37

ivy I will stop pulling into the middle lane to allow drivers to join the motorway safely in that case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now