Talk

Advanced search

to have bought a duplicate of my living room rug to put in the cupboard?

(54 Posts)
Booyhoo Thu 14-Feb-13 21:35:39

saw it reduced to half price today. the original is really grubby and the carpet cleaner isn't working. it's fine for every day use and the dcs to play/lie on but when i saw the sparkly new one today flaunting it's newness i knew i had to have it. but it's going to live in the cupboard under the stairs and only come out when i know i have people coming to the house.

Am I mad Being Unreasonable?

Booyhoo Thu 14-Feb-13 22:55:50

yes 5. to be fair my shower screen is inefficient and doesn't stop water spraying on the floor so the mats do get soaked and i just put them in the wash after 1 use (they'd never dry in time for next use), but i've always had roughly 5/6 mats even when i lived in previous houses. i dont know why really, i just have.

i also have always had at least 2 duvet covers for each bed in the house and umpteen amounts of fitted and flat white sheets as well as a mattress topper each, a super padded fitted mattress protector each and a fitted fleece sheet each underneath the fitted/ flat sheet.

i have too much stuff dont i?

Booyhoo Thu 14-Feb-13 22:57:13

why just silver shoes?

tethersend Thu 14-Feb-13 23:00:34

Haha, I have just done exactly this grin

Rug 2 sitting in cupboard.

Both of them were half price.

<bumps fists with Booyhoo>

darksideofthemooncup Thu 14-Feb-13 23:06:25

I have done this with a pair of Fly London boots. I have LIVED in the pair I bought this winter and saw they had been reduced so bought another pair and put them away for next winter.

Booyhoo Thu 14-Feb-13 23:29:58

<bumps tethers>

i dont feel quite so mad odd now.

Booyhoo Thu 14-Feb-13 23:32:06

i wonder what's the oddest thing people have done this with?

is it odd that i bought triple quilted toilet roll today because i have friends coming tomorrow night? the asda smartprice will go in the cupboard for the evening.

thebody Thu 14-Feb-13 23:33:28

Excellent planning Boo. Good idea.

thebody Thu 14-Feb-13 23:35:22

Oh just read asda smart price... I brought Kath Kitson hand wash for guest toilet and that's just for guests. Goes in the cupboard until next visit.

Excellent post.

GW297 Thu 14-Feb-13 23:38:32

That is such a good idea!

Booyhoo Thu 14-Feb-13 23:38:52

ooh soap! why didn't i think to buy nice soap? <kicks self>

ah well my soap dispenser is one of those you buy for decoration and then refil so they wont be able to tell. i'll put a few drops of lavender in to make it smell good.

can you tell it's been a loooong time since i've had people in? grin

Booyhoo Thu 14-Feb-13 23:44:25

the best of it is, my best friend is one of the people coming. she's in my house 2/3 times a week. she knows i use SP stuff. do you think she'll be wiping her arse wondering why the hell she doesn't get the good stuff during the week? grin

elfycat Thu 14-Feb-13 23:45:41

A few years ago we found a light fitting in B&Q that we liked. Flush fitting (loft conversion with lower ceiling than rest of house) for the 2 bedrooms.

We bought 2 for each bedroom plus 2 spare. They were £10 each but we have had to use one of the spares so it was worth storing the extra.

I started out having naice hand soaps for guests. But then decided to give the idea as Xmas/ Birthday gifts and use them all year round. Nothing says 'I love me enough to care' as washing toddler poo off my hands with Moulton Brown.

Catchingmockingbirds Thu 14-Feb-13 23:48:27

That's a really good idea smile.

theoldtrout01876 Thu 14-Feb-13 23:52:04

I have a shiny new copy of my livingroom rug stored in my basement grin

When the one in the livingroom one gets a tad grubby Ill move it to the den and put the new one in livingroom

When I was looking for a rug for den I couldnt find one I liked better than the one I had in livingroom and even though the rooms are totally different colours it worked well in den too grin

I ordered a new one on line,they messed up and sent 2,told me they didnt want the other backgrin

I put the livingroom one in the den,one of the new ones in the livingroom and the other is stored all wrapped up in my basement grin

Booyhoo Fri 15-Feb-13 00:00:50

that's a good system trout! grin

Blessyou Fri 15-Feb-13 00:00:54

I went back and bought a second identical rug to replace wrecked model #1.
Wish I'd thought to buy a spare!!

Booyhoo Fri 15-Feb-13 00:12:26

is there still time blessyou?

thebody Fri 15-Feb-13 07:51:19

Booy, liking the lavender cheat thing.

Booyhoo Fri 15-Feb-13 12:44:53

grin

lavender is a magic fix for everything in this house. either that or vinegar, but not sure vinegar in the handwash would have the desired effect hmm

pinkyponk67 Fri 15-Feb-13 12:47:55

What a fantastic idea OP! I need a whole duplicate house for visitors though!

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Fri 15-Feb-13 12:51:31

My sister bought a cheap version of a white gold necklace that I bought so she could wear it day to day and wear the gold one for best confused

Booyhoo Fri 15-Feb-13 12:53:45

ooh a duplicate house! now there's an idea. the one 2 doors down from me is for sale, i could buy it and duplicate this house then when i see people i know arriving, rush out the back and into 'good' house and welcome them into my lovely clean home. grin

FellatioNels0n Fri 15-Feb-13 12:54:36

That sounds inspired and eminently sensible!

Katienana Fri 15-Feb-13 12:57:40

I'm.now wondering if my friend who has white company towels and linen, jo malone toiletries and candles everywhere is doing it for my benefit?!
I really need a second bath mat.

doodledoodoo Fri 15-Feb-13 12:58:28

Great idea.

I do this sort of thing. Bought a second pair of the same boots on Ebay for half the price because I loved them so much.

I have a cat with black eyebrows a black tail too... Ahh...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: